Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 02-06-2017, 10:31 AM   #11
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Next Year's roster is gonna be pretty awesome. We will just need someone to step up as our closer (I vote Evans)

Starting lineup:
PG: Cane Broome 6'0 JR
SG: Jarron Cumberland 6'5 Soph
SF: Jacob Evans 6'6 JR
PF: Gary Clark 6'8 SR
PF: Kyle Washinton 6'9 SR

Bench:
G Justin Jenifer 5'10 JR
F Quadri Moore 6'8 SR
F Nysier Brooks 6'11 Soph
F Tre Scott 6'8 Soph
G/F Keith Williams Fresh 6'5
G Trevor Moore Fresh 6'5
F Eliel Nsoseme Fresh 6'9

We have 12 guys as it is right now. Im guessing Keith will back up both Jarron and Evans.
Brooks ain't no F.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:24 AM   #12
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Brooks ain't no F.
Oops.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:25 AM   #13
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Man we have a lot of size on the bench.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 12:00 PM   #14
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HExus View Post
I don't think we lose much honestly. The offense is only getting better, as well as the depth.
I don't disagree with much of your post but I would caution on just how much we're losing. Troy might not be putting up the best offensive stats this season but it's mostly because he doesn't need to. He has played the role of floor general and team leader perfectly this season. Losing a guy like Troy is really going to hurt this team, no matter who replaces him.

I think Cane Broome has a chance to be a special player in his own right but you cannot expect him to just step in and replace Troy from day one, he's going to have to earn that.

Either way things are looking up for UC hoops right now. This season is very reminiscent of the "good old days" for me and next season has all the potential to be just as good or better. If Mick can continue to consistently bring in scorers and make even more improvement on his half court offense we can be a very dangerous contender for a long time to come.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:46 AM   #15
HExus

HExus is on a distinguished road
Its been a long time coming. I'm new to the board obviously, and I was reading through some older post. I see alot of frustration from alot of people with Cronin. I Think he is a good guy to keep around however. I know its been hard to swallow the last decade, but half of that was really hardly fair to count against him. He is the only coach to beat a higher seed. Lets not pretend that Coach Huggins didn't under achieve quite often. IMO, if you are a Huggins fan (which I am), you can't be too hard on Cronin. Hes pretty much done nothing but improve almost every year. The only thing that has been missing is recruiting. The kids coming in these days don't care about past. Its what have you done for me lately. Cats play in an old arena in a conference that is not thought of as a top league (Even though I think that is unfair. AAC is having a down year, but I think its right on the heals of the lower tier "power leagues") Perception is everything. Unfortunately the last decade has ruined our reputation with recruits and we are somewhat unproven. With some post season success and continued improvement (along with a revamped 5/3) I can see that start to change. Teams like Xavier and OSU have pasted UC and their strangle hold on best in Ohio. As much as I dislike X, OSU bothers me more honestly. I have respect for X and the program they have built. Its really unacceptable to me that we let OSU pass us in basketball. I think another thing that hurts recruit is that the game has changed so much since UC of the 90's. I was looking at the stats, comparing this years team to the 99 team for example. Cats this year are averaging almost 78 a game and they are rated way lower in rank on O than the 99 team which only scored around 72. Todays game tends to favor a higher pace. The young guys like to run and gun. Its hard for UC to get these high skill 1 and done guys because of the way they play. I'm fine with getting 3 or 4 star guys that stay longer and buy in to the D mindset though. But id at least like to see them get recruiting into the top 25 yearly again. Don't need alot of 5 star guys to be consistently relevant.
HExus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 03:50 AM   #16
GoCats88
Banned

GoCats88 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Its been a long time coming. I'm new to the board obviously, and I was reading through some older post. I see alot of frustration from alot of people with Cronin. I Think he is a good guy to keep around however. I know its been hard to swallow the last decade, but half of that was really hardly fair to count against him. He is the only coach to beat a higher seed. Lets not pretend that Coach Huggins didn't under achieve quite often. IMO, if you are a Huggins fan (which I am), you can't be too hard on Cronin. Hes pretty much done nothing but improve almost every year. The only thing that has been missing is recruiting. The kids coming in these days don't care about past. Its what have you done for me lately. Cats play in an old arena in a conference that is not thought of as a top league (Even though I think that is unfair. AAC is having a down year, but I think its right on the heals of the lower tier "power leagues") Perception is everything. Unfortunately the last decade has ruined our reputation with recruits and we are somewhat unproven. With some post season success and continued improvement (along with a revamped 5/3) I can see that start to change. Teams like Xavier and OSU have pasted UC and their strangle hold on best in Ohio. As much as I dislike X, OSU bothers me more honestly. I have respect for X and the program they have built. Its really unacceptable to me that we let OSU pass us in basketball. I think another thing that hurts recruit is that the game has changed so much since UC of the 90's. I was looking at the stats, comparing this years team to the 99 team for example. Cats this year are averaging almost 78 a game and they are rated way lower in rank on O than the 99 team which only scored around 72. Todays game tends to favor a higher pace. The young guys like to run and gun. Its hard for UC to get these high skill 1 and done guys because of the way they play. I'm fine with getting 3 or 4 star guys that stay longer and buy in to the D mindset though. But id at least like to see them get recruiting into the top 25 yearly again. Don't need alot of 5 star guys to be consistently relevant.
I wouldn't say OSU passed us in basketball.. idk they might get some better recruits, but wouldn't say their program is any better than ours at all.
GoCats88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:08 AM   #17
NKY Bearcat

NKY Bearcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Paragraphs are your friend. Welcome to the board.
NKY Bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:02 AM   #18
bearcat81

bearcat81 is on a distinguished road
Next Year

At some point this program has to get back to winning conference titles consistently. NCAA tournament success has a lot of variables, but we should be able to win our league. I just looked back. In the last 13 years we have one conference championship and zero conference tournament championships. That has to start changing beginning next year. I think we will be better next year.
bearcat81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:05 AM   #19
DCBearcat

DCBearcat is on a distinguished road
Anyone want to take a shot at our starting 5 next year? I don't know enough about the new recruits. I know we've said this for the last couple of years but anything less than sweet 16 and top 1-2 in our league would be a huge disappointment.
DCBearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:07 AM   #20
coachpipe
Banned

coachpipe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCBearcat View Post
Anyone want to take a shot at our starting 5 next year? I don't know enough about the new recruits. I know we've said this for the last couple of years but anything less than sweet 16 and top 1-2 in our league would be a huge disappointment.

I think id be willing to throw $20 down it will be
1) Broome
2) Cumberland
3) Evans
4)Clark
5)Washington
coachpipe is offline   Reply With Quote