Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-13-2017, 07:41 AM   #471
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
Per the banquet, the player with most deflections per minute played for 16-17 - Cumberland got the award
Well I can't say that is a huge surprise but a surprise nonetheless for a frosh who isn't the quickest guy. This says a lot about his instincts. His hands are always active even if he gets beat he is trying to poke the ball from behind and he often gets his hands in there by sneaking to help on another player who is being guarded. He is great at predicting where the ball will go next as well.

This definitely puts some of my concerns to rest about D. He was highest per 40 minutes in steals I think as well. Another year with Rhefeldt will go a long way in helping his lateral quickness.

I hope Washington really focuses on his defense as well. If he does...we might have a chance to remain a top 15 D. If Washington learns to share the ball just a little more and can stay on the court for 30 minutes we could have a HUGE year!
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 12:34 PM   #472
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Keith Williams was selected to play in the Jordan Brand Regional and put up 25 points on 12-17 shooting.

He also plays on Friday in the Allen Iverson Round ball classic. He will be teammates with Xavier commit Naji Marshall and will also play against X's best recruit, Paul Scruggs.

Keith seems to be getting selected for a lot of these type of games and I think its a good look for UC that people think he is that good.

I just watched his Senior mix tape, the dude dunks a lot and super athletic.

He and Cumberland are very much get to them rim players. From what i've seen, he truly can contribute right away
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:47 AM   #473
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Keith Williams was selected to play in the Jordan Brand Regional and put up 25 points on 12-17 shooting.

He also plays on Friday in the Allen Iverson Round ball classic. He will be teammates with Xavier commit Naji Marshall and will also play against X's best recruit, Paul Scruggs.

Keith seems to be getting selected for a lot of these type of games and I think its a good look for UC that people think he is that good.

I just watched his Senior mix tape, the dude dunks a lot and super athletic.

He and Cumberland are very much get to them rim players. From what i've seen, he truly can contribute right away
Yeah I have been very impressed myself.

I def. think he will contribute right away. I think it's going to be the same feel we have had for a few years now with Gary, Evans and Cumberland. A few freshman each year some will need more time but at least 1 a year that can really develop throughout the year and be considered a top player on the team. I'm excited for this kid for sure.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:16 AM   #474
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
Yeah I have been very impressed myself.

I def. think he will contribute right away. I think it's going to be the same feel we have had for a few years now with Gary, Evans and Cumberland. A few freshman each year some will need more time but at least 1 a year that can really develop throughout the year and be considered a top player on the team. I'm excited for this kid for sure.
I'm probably in a category of my own on Williams right now. After looking back on his mix tapes I see a Jack of all Trades but perhaps not a master of one. He is definitely an elite athlete! He looks like a capable shooter, capable ball handler, and capable driver but perhaps not GREAT at any just yet. I understand he played against some great competition so he should be battle tested in terms of frosh.

I could see him giving us valuable back up minutes this up coming season. Especially on D and maybe to a lesser extent on offense. Give this guy a year or two to hone his dribbling and shooting skills and he will probably be a great one for us. I just don't see him surpassing Evans or Cumberland any time soon on the depth chart....but that's okay IMO.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:45 PM   #475
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
247 has moved Keith Williams from a 3 star to a 4 Star prospect and # 102 in the class.

Which is a huge huge jump (he was 160 before)

http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Bas...oup=HighSchool
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:42 PM   #476
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I'm probably in a category of my own on Williams right now. After looking back on his mix tapes I see a Jack of all Trades but perhaps not a master of one. He is definitely an elite athlete! He looks like a capable shooter, capable ball handler, and capable driver but perhaps not GREAT at any just yet. I understand he played against some great competition so he should be battle tested in terms of frosh.

I could see him giving us valuable back up minutes this up coming season. Especially on D and maybe to a lesser extent on offense. Give this guy a year or two to hone his dribbling and shooting skills and he will probably be a great one for us. I just don't see him surpassing Evans or Cumberland any time soon on the depth chart....but that's okay IMO.
Something to consider is, he will be playing in a much more fast paced offense with Broone running the point. I think his athletic ability will play much better in a more up tempo system. If our new PG truly pushes the pace I look for him and Evans to really prosper.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:01 PM   #477
ThomasMac

ThomasMac is on a distinguished road
That's great! He's also 124 on rivals. I expect this kid to be ready to get some important minutes this year... similar to Cumberland.
ThomasMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:30 PM   #478
juckerrules
Elite Member

juckerrules is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMac View Post
That's great! He's also 124 on rivals. I expect this kid to be ready to get some important minutes this year... similar to Cumberland.
Any time I've seen video, it's been games without any defense at all - that will be the deciding factor- can he bring some D?
juckerrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:42 PM   #479
RedlegZdid
Banned

RedlegZdid is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by juckerrules View Post
Any time I've seen video, it's been games without any defense at all - that will be the deciding factor- can he bring some D?
I think his length and athleticism guarantees he will be able to play D in McCronins system. The bigger question would be can he score against good defense?
RedlegZdid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:55 PM   #480
rogerOH

rogerOH is on a distinguished road
League MVP in one of the best leagues in the U S, he will be able to score.
rogerOH is offline   Reply With Quote