Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: Will we break 80 points per game?
Yes 8 24.24%
No 25 75.76%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2017, 06:10 PM   #11
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
Don't forget that I believe Justin Jenifer was either just ahead or just behind Troy in assist to turnover ratio. I don't know about Cane's ability to not turn the ball over but I feel very comfortable with JJ at the point taking care of the ball.
he also wasn't pushing the ball. A faster paced offense will lead to more TO's but how effective we are will determine how many we score.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:31 AM   #12
Robert
Elite Member

Robert is on a distinguished road
I hope we average 80. Much was said about our improved offense (and it was), but even as we were finally getting close to averaging 75 PPG, the rest of college basketball was scoring more as well. We still finished 148th in points per game last year.

Assuming the numbers are similar in college basketball this season, averaging around 80 PPG would put us in the top 35-40. I just can't see a Mick Cronin coached team cracking the top 50 in points per game, so I am going to predict we average a little below 80 -- probably around 77-78, which I think we would all be thrilled with as long as the defense is comparable.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:33 AM   #13
Robert
Elite Member

Robert is on a distinguished road
I will add that if we do average 80 PPG with the schedule we have, knowing our defense never suffers with the culture our coaching staff has built... watch out, college basketball.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:42 AM   #14
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
Don't forget that I believe Justin Jenifer was either just ahead or just behind Troy in assist to turnover ratio. I don't know about Cane's ability to not turn the ball over but I feel very comfortable with JJ at the point taking care of the ball.
Jenifer did a fantastic job of addressing turnovers last year. I would imagine Cane will understand the importance of taking care of the ball after watching for a year. If he doesn't understand yet...he will understand soon enough.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:54 AM   #15
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I hope we average 80. Much was said about our improved offense (and it was), but even as we were finally getting close to averaging 75 PPG, the rest of college basketball was scoring more as well. We still finished 148th in points per game last year.

Assuming the numbers are similar in college basketball this season, averaging around 80 PPG would put us in the top 35-40. I just can't see a Mick Cronin coached team cracking the top 50 in points per game, so I am going to predict we average a little below 80 -- probably around 77-78, which I think we would all be thrilled with as long as the defense is comparable.
I completely understand your angle here...it makes sense. However, we are adding what some have said is our quickest PG under Cronin and perhaps one of the quickest all time at UC. Jenifer's game is set up in much the same way as Broome in terms of speed of operation. If they push the ball up the court faster as well as start attacking in half court faster...we could see a big bump in our pace when we have the ball. I think someone said we spent about 18 seconds per possession getting a shot off. If we can be closer to 16 I think we can maybe get to 80ppg.

I would imagine Cronin will have just as much trouble dialing these two PG's back at times as he had with getting Caupain to push the ball.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:08 AM   #16
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I completely understand your angle here...it makes sense. However, we are adding what some have said is our quickest PG under Cronin and perhaps one of the quickest all time at UC. Jenifer's game is set up in much the same way as Broome in terms of speed of operation. If they push the ball up the court faster as well as start attacking in half court faster...we could see a big bump in our pace when we have the ball. I think someone said we spent about 18 seconds per possession getting a shot off. If we can be closer to 16 I think we can maybe get to 80ppg.

I would imagine Cronin will have just as much trouble dialing these two PG's back at times as he had with getting Caupain to push the ball.
I don't think we will improve much on PPP since we ended up just inside the top 25 last year at 1.1 PPP. That's very good. We will have to create extra possessions to get the job done. I have little doubt we will create extra possessions...but will there be enough? At the same PPP efficiency we will need 6+ more possessions to crack 80. This all assumes our defense is the same in controlling shot clock time on the other end. If our D drops off a little we will also see more possessions due to increased pace on the other side.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:20 PM   #17
waterhead
Senior Moderator

I predict a top 2 finish in conference regular season with a win in either AAC regular season or AAC tourney. I also predict a second weekend appearance in the dance or beyond. We have the right kind of team to make it happen. I think we enter top 10 ranking (at least for a while) during the season and if we don't I will eat my words.

This. Is. The. Year!!
Old 10-13-2017, 01:27 PM   #18
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
1 reason why we won't average above 80 points

1) Mick Cronin's offense
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:37 PM   #19
Btown Bearcat

Btown Bearcat is an unknown quantity at this point
it would be tough even if we improve offensively with the way our defense is designed to run down the clock and force a bad shot with a second or 2 on the shot clock it creates so many less possessions for both teams then your average game. I would say the better statistic to figure out if this offense is better is points per possession more so then points per game. I do think this will be Cronins best offense so far though and I dont think it will even be close. Its gonna be interesting to see how our defense fairs tho with the new lineups I would assume KJ and Caupain are better defenders especially on the wing then Broome. I honestly cannot wait till the season starts though
Old 10-14-2017, 08:14 AM   #20
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btown Bearcat View Post
it would be tough even if we improve offensively with the way our defense is designed to run down the clock and force a bad shot with a second or 2 on the shot clock it creates so many less possessions for both teams then your average game. I would say the better statistic to figure out if this offense is better is points per possession more so then points per game. I do think this will be Cronins best offense so far though and I dont think it will even be close. Its gonna be interesting to see how our defense fairs tho with the new lineups I would assume KJ and Caupain are better defenders especially on the wing then Broome. I honestly cannot wait till the season starts though
I think we were top 25 in ppp. I don't see that going up much.