Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: Who would you red shirt?
Nsoseme 13 43.33%
Diarra 6 20.00%
T Moore 0 0%
Williams 1 3.33%
No red shirt 10 33.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-18-2017, 01:02 PM   #21
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Next year he may be first or second in line for minutes at the 4. Why play just a few minutes this year if you can optimize your minutes when Clark and Washington are gone?
I see Clark getting almost 30 minutes per game this year but he will get ZERO next year with no clear incumbent. So a new player can compete with 3 or 4 other players for 10 remaining minutes or he can red shirt and compete for perhaps 30 minutes the following year. Some players have too much EGO to let that happen and some players have the smarts to understand the situation.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:04 PM   #22
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I see Clark getting almost 30 minutes per game this year but he will get ZERO next year with no clear incumbent. So a new player can compete with 3 or 4 other players for 10 remaining minutes or he can red shirt and compete for perhaps 30 minutes the following year. Some players have too much EGO to let that happen and some players have the smarts to understand the situation.
Clark won't get exactly 30 in every game though. So in big games the backup might get 3 minutes. But in a lot of our games, there will be a chance for 15+ minutes.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:38 PM   #23
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Clark won't get exactly 30 in every game though. So in big games the backup might get 3 minutes. But in a lot of our games, there will be a chance for 15+ minutes.
I am only talking averages. I understand one player can get 10-15 minutes in one game and zero the next. If the average is 5 minutes on the year it could be a waste for a talented freshman is all I am saying.

Brooks seems to be the most likely candidate to take on the Deberry role which means he can play with either Washington or Clark in the lineup. So in a sense Diarra is competing with Brooks...even if Brooks plays a different position.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:41 PM   #24
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

After getting a glimpse with the rest of the team, Chad said "If there are 100 FR better than Williams and 200 better than Diarra, I'll eat a flip flop."

Also not sure if this was mentioned but T Moore had 40 in a summer league game and got 14 FT attempts.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:43 PM   #25
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
I am only talking averages. I understand one player can get 10-15 minutes in one game and zero the next. If the average is 5 minutes on the year it could be a waste for a talented freshman is all I am saying.

Brooks seems to be the most likely candidate to take on the Deberry role which means he can play with either Washington or Clark in the lineup. So in a sense Diarra is competing with Brooks...even if Brooks plays a different position.
5 minutes on average would probably be a waste. But 10 wouldn't, especially if there are 10+ games of playing close to half the game or more. How you get the minutes matters.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:45 PM   #26
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:

I'd be pretty surprised to see Washington and Brooks in together.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:48 PM   #27
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
I'd be pretty surprised to see Washington and Brooks in together.
With our team speed, depth, and willingness to press, this combo won't make sense in the overwhelming majority of situations imo.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:58 PM   #28
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Man. For me this is easy.

Nsesome is going to redshirt.

he has been playing basketball the least out of anyone on the roster, he is the rawest player and his offensive game needs a ton of work. Redshirting him is obvious.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 02:13 PM   #29
Chad Brendel
Elite Member

Chad Brendel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Man. For me this is easy.

Nsesome is going to redshirt.

he has been playing basketball the least out of anyone on the roster, he is the rawest player and his offensive game needs a ton of work. Redshirting him is obvious.
I thought the same. Until I saw him play. Now, not so much. He can help right away...
Chad Brendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 02:21 PM   #30
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Personally, I don't want anyone to red shirt. I would love to see a real run and gun and press squad this year. If that happens, I could see some bigs in foul trouble where we utilize all of them. Especially since they all can be nasty rim protectors and rebounders.

But, this may be just a wish so I think Ellie will redshirt. No way Moore, Diarra, or Williams redshirt.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote