Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives > 2016 Recruiting Profiles

Old 07-21-2016, 01:25 PM   #1421
BearcatSpaniard513
Elite Member

BearcatSpaniard513 is on a distinguished road
Yeah I'd rather have more depth this year too. All we need right now is one more player to have that depth for next year's team. 2 more to fill the roster.
BearcatSpaniard513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:56 PM   #1422
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
I guess at some point I'm less worried about "the right fit" and am more worried about having the bodies. We just saw this year what happens when a couple guys get banged up. That's not unusual though in a 5 month, 35 game grind. Again, not the biggest deal in the world bc we're talking about a guy who most likely wouldn't be top 6 or 7 on the roster in terms of importance. But if something happens to any of our main guys (or even a backup like Quadri Moore as we saw in the tournament) and we aren't prepared to deal with it, I'm not going to be willing to chalk it up as bad luck. Especially bc we've been there and done that just a few months ago.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:24 PM   #1423
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Maybe. I think we all know that we're not looking for a great player though. At some point, the staff failed to get the roster to 12 players. If it's too hard in the spring, then we need to do better in the fall to avoid being in this pinch. It's not the biggest deal in the world, but the reality is that we are a player short. Point to whatever you'd like, but the fact remains.
You're always looking for a great player. You're always looking to upgrade your talent. You're never done recruiting. Chad said as much on this site in the last day or so and he's right. The staff doesn't want to, and won't, just add a player to have another body. If they aren't high on what he would bring to the team to help this year, I don't think they were that interested. There is a lot of talent in the 2017 class. I would rather take my chances with what we have this year and potentially utilize more scholarships in the 2017 class than be stuck with an average player for seasons beyond this one.

I think this season all comes down to health. If Gary, Troy and Jacob can stay healthy this year, this team will be very good. If not, it doesn't really matter who you bring in at this point.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:56 PM   #1424
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
You're always looking for a great player. You're always looking to upgrade your talent. You're never done recruiting. Chad said as much on this site in the last day or so and he's right. The staff doesn't want to, and won't, just add a player to have another body. If they aren't high on what he would bring to the team to help this year, I don't think they were that interested. There is a lot of talent in the 2017 class. I would rather take my chances with what we have this year and potentially utilize more scholarships in the 2017 class than be stuck with an average player for seasons beyond this one.

I think this season all comes down to health. If Gary, Troy and Jacob can stay healthy this year, this team will be very good. If not, it doesn't really matter who you bring in at this point.
I'm not sure I buy that it's all on Caupain, Evans, and Clark. Ideally it would be. But Who's to say Cumberland couldn't break out if Evans went down, like Evans did this past year? Or Washington if Clark went down? If that happens, we'll also be forced to regularly go small or count on Brooks and or Scott who have no D1 experience. The whole benefit of a grad transfer would've been that it has no impact at all on 2017, and in the case of an injury, foul trouble, what have you, you could turn to someone who at the very least has played 100 D1 games before. I'd feel much safer having that as a fallback, even if they aren't a great player, than hoping to God that someone like Scott would be capable of playing heavy minutes and even being forced to play the 3 in a crunch.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:21 PM   #1425
NYCAT

NYCAT is on a distinguished road
Pancake Thomas SG 6'3" Graduate Transfer

Here is someone else to think about:

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 4h4 hours ago
Hartford's Pancake Thomas has been granted his release and will be a grad transfer, sources told @CBSSports. AVERAGED 18.9 ppg.
NYCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:24 PM   #1426
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
http://247sports.com/Player/Troy-Baxter-42996
Troy Baxter got his release granted today from USF. 4 star 6'7 PF. Had a lot of schools after him, we weren't one of them. Will be interesting to see where he ends up. Not sure how USF landed him in the first place but it doesn't matter anymore
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote