Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 10-16-2017, 11:50 AM   #11
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMac View Post
More surprising than them snubbing Clark, Evans, or Washington?
I wish there were an all around Category. Gary and Jacob do so much for a basketball team on both ends of the floor. The only thing keeping them off the first team is probably more field goal attempts. The only thing probably keeping Kyle off is minutes per game.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:40 PM   #12
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I wish there were an all around Category. Gary and Jacob do so much for a basketball team on both ends of the floor. The only thing keeping them off the first team is probably more field goal attempts. The only thing probably keeping Kyle off is minutes per game.
Kyle averaged almost a full 10 minutes less than the 10th highest guy in minutes played in conference and averaged a full 5 minutes less than the #30 guy. He was at 25.6 mpg and #10 was at 35.3 and #30 was at 30.6.

Clark was not in the top 30 in minutes played (at 28.8) and Evans just barely at #28 (at 30.7). All of them were in the top 30 in scoring though...Kyle was 16th in scoring, Evans 22nd, and Clark 27th.

Kyle (#9) and Gary (#4) were both in the top 10 in FG%. I am pretty sure this isn't going to happen but if you give these guys 35 minutes and you tell Gary and Jacob to shoot a little more often...I think they could all end up top 10 in scoring with Kyle possibly top 5. However, we play team ball and we have other options to score so they aren't going to get a lot more shots off and because of our depth they probably aren't going to see a huge bump in minutes if any at all.

This is why they aren't on the AAC first team. Minutes per game for Kyle and a combination of MPG and FGA for Gary and Jacob. They are all capable on the offensive side of the ball if we were to ask them to do more...they could. I just don't think it's going to work like that. Now we have Broome and Cumberland coming in to take some of those shots away and we have depth to keep these other three guys fresh. Pace of play could help a little but that could also mean we need more breathers.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:48 PM   #13
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Kyle averaged almost a full 10 minutes less than the 10th highest guy in minutes played in conference and averaged a full 5 minutes less than the #30 guy. He was at 25.6 mpg and #10 was at 35.3 and #30 was at 30.6.

Clark was not in the top 30 in minutes played (at 28.8) and Evans just barely at #28 (at 30.7). All of them were in the top 30 in scoring though...Kyle was 16th in scoring, Evans 22nd, and Clark 27th.

Kyle (#9) and Gary (#4) were both in the top 10 in FG%. I am pretty sure this isn't going to happen but if you give these guys 35 minutes and you tell Gary and Jacob to shoot a little more often...I think they could all end up top 10 in scoring with Kyle possibly top 5. However, we play team ball and we have other options to score so they aren't going to get a lot more shots off and because of our depth they probably aren't going to see a huge bump in minutes if any at all.

This is why they aren't on the AAC first team. Minutes per game for Kyle and a combination of MPG and FGA for Gary and Jacob. They are all capable on the offensive side of the ball if we were to ask them to do more...they could. I just don't think it's going to work like that. Now we have Broome and Cumberland coming in to take some of those shots away and we have depth to keep these other three guys fresh. Pace of play could help a little but that could also mean we need more breathers.
Exactly. We're punished in the individual awards for being unselfish, balanced, and deep.

It's just funny that last year we go 16-2 and have no 1st teamers or Coach of the Year. This year we're picked 1st and still have no 1st teamers. That shouldn't look right to anyone who has a brain. I'm sure they all just split votes, and with the guys on other teams, it way more obvious who the best player is...still a ridiculous look for our conference.

A week or so ago, the AAC Twitter account was promoting this day and they used Obi "Quadri Moore" Enechionyia as the poster boy. Such a lack of respect. The AAC needs us way more than we need them, you'd think they'd realize that and promote us more, give us the AAC Tournament, etc. But no.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:28 PM   #14
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Exactly. We're punished in the individual awards for being unselfish, balanced, and deep.

It's just funny that last year we go 16-2 and have no 1st teamers or Coach of the Year. This year we're picked 1st and still have no 1st teamers. That shouldn't look right to anyone who has a brain. I'm sure they all just split votes, and with the guys on other teams, it way more obvious who the best player is...still a ridiculous look for our conference.

A week or so ago, the AAC Twitter account was promoting this day and they used Obi "Quadri Moore" Enechionyia as the poster boy. Such a lack of respect. The AAC needs us way more than we need them, you'd think they'd realize that and promote us more, give us the AAC Tournament, etc. But no.
If you put any of these guys on another team with limited scoring options I think they could/would all become AAC first teamers. Because another coach would play them 35+ minutes and they would be force fed the ball more.

The old cliche "it is what it is". I will forgo the individual pre-season awards if we can win a regular season and/or tourney championship and finish 1st or 2nd in both. I think these players would say the same thing and I think we can do it.

The sum of the parts is greater than the whole. I think the coach has done a fantastic job of getting the team to buy into this team first philosophy rather than individual accomplishments. That's not an easy thing to do. Eventually you have to be able to prove to the players it pays off in a big way come March and I hope this is the year it all comes together.

Last year our regular season success helped to prove team ball can work very well. Now we need it to translate in the tourney.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:49 PM   #15
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

It's so funny to me that Junior Etou played on Rutgers when they were in the AAC.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:16 PM   #16
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Coach and Players
https://youtu.be/g78SPEs_AkM
Old 10-16-2017, 05:22 PM   #17
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Really strong leadership. Team players. Definitely something to be proud of.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:48 PM   #18
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

@GoBearcatsMBB
Go behind the scenes with the #Bearcats at the #AmericanTipOff. https://t.co/UUvXYRAVGM