Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: Who will win the Crosstown Shootout?
UC 33 75.00%
XU 11 25.00%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-29-2017, 07:04 AM   #151
Bearcat513
Elite Member

Bearcat513 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Don’t we always start slow in that arena?

I’m just going off history. Xavier always seems to jump out big at home before the other team settles down.
Plus, I feel like noon tips and UC don't usually mix well.

Can't get off to a slow start. Need to be winning or within 2 possessions at the half. I know we were down at half last year but that was obviously at home.
Bearcat513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:48 AM   #152
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
I really hope our team doesn't have as many worries heading into this game us us fans do...lol! Show up with a good game plan...play hard and execute. When in doubt throw the ball to Gary...lol!
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:35 AM   #153
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat513 View Post
Plus, I feel like noon tips and UC don't usually mix well.

Can't get off to a slow start. Need to be winning or within 2 possessions at the half. I know we were down at half last year but that was obviously at home.
Yeah but we have basically will have had over a week off, so we should be well rested. Plus, we don't play again til that following Saturday so we better play balls to the wall.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:40 AM   #154
waterhead
Senior Moderator

I know Eggs has a good offense (Kenpom #7) but we have played a lot of minutes so far with our subs. Probably more than most teams have. I feel like our offensive rating could get better (#26) as we play our starters more minutes. I don't think Cumberland has really even started asserting himself just yet. Of course we are hitting a stretch of much tougher games but SOS is supposed to be worked into our rating already.

It will be interesting if we push pace or if our pace gets slower. I'm not sure if Cronin trusts getting 9-10 guys in the game just yet for significant time. If we have a quality sub for each position that Cronin trusts we can still get out and run. I think we know Jenifer/Broome makes 6. Brooks is going to see minutes. Tre will probably see a few. We will need some minutes from Moore or Williams. I don't think we want Williams coming in trying to do too much so Moore could be our best bet on the wing.

I think we play Clark, Evans, Cumberland, and Washington for the max minutes they can give without falling over. That could mean we slow the pace a little bit...unless our subs are playing smart basketball and we can hold ground when they are in. If we can always keep one starter wing and big on the court at all times we should still have scoring options.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:45 AM   #155
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I know Eggs has a good offense (Kenpom #7) but we have played a lot of minutes so far with our subs. Probably more than most teams have. I feel like our offensive rating could get better (#26) as we play our starters more minutes. I don't think Cumberland has really even started asserting himself just yet. Of course we are hitting a stretch of much tougher games but SOS is supposed to be worked into our rating already.

It will be interesting if we push pace or if our pace gets slower. I'm not sure if Cronin trusts getting 9-10 guys in the game just yet for significant time. If we have a quality sub for each position that Cronin trusts we can still get out and run. I think we know Jenifer/Broome makes 6. Brooks is going to see minutes. Tre will probably see a few. We will need some minutes from Moore or Williams. I don't think we want Williams coming in trying to do too much so Moore could be our best bet on the wing.

I think we play Clark, Evans, Cumberland, and Washington for the max minutes they can give without falling over. That could mean we slow the pace a little bit...unless our subs are playing smart basketball and we can hold ground when they are in. If we can always keep one starter wing and big on the court at all times we should still have scoring options.
Yeah, we don’t really know. We haven’t been tested at all and our starters haven’t really had to focus or execute. Will be interesting to see how good we are when faced with a real team.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:59 AM   #156
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCalum08 View Post
Yeah but we have basically will have had over a week off, so we should be well rested. Plus, we don't play again til that following Saturday so we better play balls to the wall.
100%
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:02 AM   #157
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post

I feel like at least 2 out of Evans, Cumberland, and Clark need to be on the floor at all times.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:16 AM   #158
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Yeah, we don’t really know. We haven’t been tested at all and our starters haven’t really had to focus or execute. Will be interesting to see how good we are when faced with a real team.
Yah...it won't get any more hostile all year than in this game. We aren't just getting tested against a good team...the atmosphere is going to be nuts.

Time to see what Jenifer and Broome are made of.

Can Trevor knock down a couple of 3's? That guy can't wait to fire up a shot. If he can get a shot off you can tell he would like nothing more than to do just that. He has remained pretty patient though which is good. You can just see him out there struggling over whether or not to fire one up. He takes it personal when he misses too. He is super confident all the way out to 25 feet. I hope he doesn't get gun shy in big games. I don't think he will.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:34 AM   #159
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
I feel like at least 2 out of Evans, Cumberland, and Clark need to be on the floor at all times.
I would agree and we have some other options with Kyle, Cane, and Trevor to add into the scoring mix. Hell, even Jenifer can knock down open shots. We have 6 or 7 guys who can score one way or another and some bigs who can come in a play some very good D.

Trevor has possibly been the most pleasant surprise of the season so far. He's a competitor and adds a lot of depth to our scoring when our starter wings are out. We all knew he was a shooter but he's no slouch on D and I'm not sure we were expecting him to shoot as well as he has. That guy is money! I remember hearing one of our players in a presser (forget who it was) say Moore is by far the best shooter on the team. A team which includes Evans and Cumberland by the way. I heard Terry Nelson say in a broadcast "if you give him that shot he knocks it down 100% of the time". Obviously an exaggeration but the confidence from some guys who watch him every day is very high. You have to guard him out to 25 feet.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:55 AM   #160
cincyfan21

cincyfan21 is on a distinguished road
IMO we have to run our offense through Gary for this game. Not only is he our best player, he's also our most experienced and level-headed guy on the roster. We are one of those teams that can score at all levels. Feed Gary inside. They double, he kicks it out to our shooters for open 3's. They go one on one?... Good luck.

We also must take care of the ball. Last night, X capitalized off turnovers and that really got Macura going. We need to avoid that at all costs.
cincyfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote