Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > 2018 Recruiting Profiles

Old 08-22-2017, 12:54 PM   #311
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
I guess I should start this out by saying I don't even know if it's necessarily true lol...but...

Does anyone feel like we've had less names than normal to toss around in the 2018 class? I feel like in years past, in the summer especially we were listing several new players a day...but this year seems different. I have a couple thoughts as to why this might be the case:

1. Our staff stays pretty tight lipped about our recruiting efforts. I'm not sure why this would be much different than years past though.

2. We don't have to cast such a wide net anymore. AKA the program is starting to sell itself to a degree. It's just a given at this point that we're at the top of our conference and will play in the tournament every year. And now we have the arena renovation to sell as well. So is it possible that we're not only being more selective, but having players be more receptive to our interest? I feel like this could lead to less names bc we don't have to knock down every door to find the players that fit our system AND want to come here. Our offensive philosophy is very appealing to the modern player, and we have a 30 win season now to point to, to show these guys we mean what we sell. Back on the old PS2 NCAA Basketball games they used to give each program up to 5* for "Prestige". I feel like we gained a full star after last year.

There might not be anything to this. And maybe we were just focused on a PG only and with 3 scholarships didn't have the same urgency to fill spots as much as in the past. Just food for thought. I'd like to hear where people come out on this random theory. Maybe I'm just seeing it the way I want to..but at the same time, I think perception is reality when it comes to college sports. Just look at how we're comfortably ranked in EVERY preseason publication that has come out this offseason. Obviously the talent has a lot to do with that...but so does the perception of your program, considering these rankings are based on 0 games. We used to have to gripe about it bc we were the only ones who saw the potential of our teams. But that tune has changed. We have the respect of everyone.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:49 PM   #312
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Or it is kept tight lipped by design so you have to go to a pay site to get info
Old 08-22-2017, 02:09 PM   #313
ThomasMac

ThomasMac is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Back on the old PS2 NCAA Basketball games they used to give each program up to 5* for "Prestige". I feel like we gained a full star after last year.
Brought back some good memories! Also, I agree with your write up... well said.
ThomasMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:00 PM   #314
rogerOH

rogerOH is on a distinguished road
Glad to see Mick Cronin getting players from sports academy type high schools like N. Brooks(Life Center Acad.)- Diarra(22 Feet Acad.)- E. Nsoseme (The Rise Center Acad.)- K. Williams (CHSAA) NYC Catholic League.- T.Moore(South Kent School) , schools that produce top players every year like Oak Hill Acad. does. bodes well for U.C.
rogerOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:45 PM   #315
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

@PrepHoopsTN
Per father, 2018 PG Taelyr Gatlin (TN) has fresh interest from #Cincinnati . Will eval Taelyr next week! @stangatlin @MPSportsTJames

http://247sports.com/player/taelyr-gatlin-92334
Old 09-06-2017, 03:48 PM   #316
rogerOH

rogerOH is on a distinguished road
Man that's the kind of arc I like to see on a shot.
rogerOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 01:57 PM   #317
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Just to kind of figure out where we are here...

Haliburton - set to visit in October?

Harris - hoping he sets a visit soon?

L Johnson - already visited

Hinton - visiting this weekend

Anyone else I'm missing? Who do people prefer out of these guys? I'd assume it'd likely be Harris or L Johnson and Hinton or Haliburton.

I'd be good with any of the 4 honestly. I really like Hinton though. He just looks like a Bearcat. Love his intensity.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:33 PM   #318
Bearcatboy
Epic Member

Bearcatboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Just to kind of figure out where we are here...

Haliburton - set to visit in October?

Harris - hoping he sets a visit soon?

L Johnson - already visited

Hinton - visiting this weekend

Anyone else I'm missing? Who do people prefer out of these guys? I'd assume it'd likely be Harris or L Johnson and Hinton or Haliburton.

I'd be good with any of the 4 honestly. I really like Hinton though. He just looks like a Bearcat. Love his intensity.
Harris and Hinton
Bearcatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:19 AM   #319
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Anyone know who we're looking at right now?
Old 09-18-2017, 10:50 AM   #320
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Anyone know who we're looking at right now?
It seems like we are in a tough position right now to sell recruits. A recruiting class with not a lot of quality bigs which would be our biggest selling point to a scoring threat.

We have 2 veteran PG's for 2 more years and now a new recruit in Johnson.

We have 2 veteran wings for likely 2 more years with Williams and Moore in the background.

I would LOVE to see a Harris commit and a quality wing right now but I don't think it's a given we can get it done by any means. I could see us rolling over 2 schollies but I hope we can get the job done and get at least 2 more quality guys. I could see us getting 1 quality guy and then waiting for spring to see what develops. Rolling at least 1 scholly but hopefully not 2.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote