Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: Who takes the last shot?
Broome 3 11.11%
Washington 2 7.41%
Clark 2 7.41%
Evans 11 40.74%
Cumberland 5 18.52%
Team effort 4 14.81%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-22-2017, 11:43 AM   #21
rogerOH

rogerOH is on a distinguished road
Sure hope you are right Chad B. would love to have a guy you could plug in to break a zone or to carry a team for a short time by dropping in 3-4 threes.
rogerOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:51 AM   #22
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
As long as it's not Quadri Moore I'm good.

My guess is Cronin will go with Cumberland with the game on the line. Mick has always seemed to go with the head down and drive to the rim strategy with the final possession of games. It's not a very good strategy but I've heard Mick talk before about the odds of a foul or getting a look at the rim being better than relying on a jumper or a 3 to go down.

No one on our team will be better at bullying their way to the rim than Cumberland. I'm guessing he'll be our designated head down and attack the rim guy.
Probably not a bad assessment! He uses his body well and he's big enough to take a bump and still get off a controlled shot if not fouled or both. He can launch a 3 or he's got a nice pump fake to get him moving toward the lane. I don't mind this option at all!

As of right now he is my go to guy. He has shown a knack to get off a good shot when he needs to and he also had our best EFG% last year both in conference and on the year.

Last edited by waterhead; 08-22-2017 at 11:55 AM.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 12:04 PM   #23
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Probably not a bad assessment! He uses his body well and he's big enough to take a bump and still get off a controlled shot if not fouled or both. He can launch a 3 or he's got a nice pump fake to get him moving toward the lane. I don't mind this option at all!

As of right now he is my go to guy. He has shown a knack to get off a good shot when he needs to and he also had our best EFG% last year both in conference and on the year.
In terms of EFG% Cumberland was at .601 in conference (21 mpg). Brooks was second in limited play at .588 (8 minutes pg). Clark was 3rd at .539. All others were below .500.

Conference play is where the rubber meets the road. Cumberland shined! On the season Evans and Washington had above .500 EFG% but that means their numbers against inferior opponents were probably inflated. Cumberland's EFG% went UP in conference.

Last edited by waterhead; 08-22-2017 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:58 PM   #24
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
In terms of EFG% Cumberland was at .601 in conference (21 mpg). Brooks was second in limited play at .588 (8 minutes pg). Clark was 3rd at .539. All others were below .500.

Conference play is where the rubber meets the road. Cumberland shined! On the season Evans and Washington had above .500 EFG% but that means their numbers against inferior opponents were probably inflated. Cumberland's EFG% went UP in conference.
Kyle was first on the season and in conference in points scored per 40 minutes. Cumberland was 2nd in both. But here is something that might surprise you.

Kyle on the year 20.9 and 19.6 in conference (-1.3ppg)

Cumberland on the year 17.5 and 17.2 in conference (-.3)

Evans 17.9 on the year and 14.6 in conference (-3.3)

Clark 15.0 and 14.5 in conference (-.5)

Cumberland had the smallest drop off and Evans had the largest. Something can be said for Cumberland starting to feel more comfortable as the season went on but I would like to see Evans performing at a higher rate in conference. If he is going to get drafted...he needs to shine when the spotlight is on. He's arguably our best player but that means he needs to get a little better in bigger games. He can't be deferring to other players as much when it counts.

Adding Broome to the lineup (and Cumberland) could alleviate some of the extra pressure that Evans NEEDS to feel to make it to the next level IMO. I love Evans...but I am hoping he takes on a bigger role for his sake.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:01 PM   #25
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Kyle was first on the season and in conference in points scored per 40 minutes. Cumberland was 2nd in both. But here is something that might surprise you.

Kyle on the year 20.9 and 19.6 in conference (-1.3ppg)

Cumberland on the year 17.5 and 17.2 in conference (-.3)

Evans 17.9 on the year and 14.6 in conference (-3.3)

Clark 15.0 and 14.5 in conference (-.5)

Cumberland had the smallest drop off and Evans had the largest. Something can be said for Cumberland starting to feel more comfortable as the season went on but I would like to see Evans performing at a higher rate in conference. If he is going to get drafted...he needs to shine when the spotlight is on. He's arguably our best player but that means he needs to get a little better in bigger games. He can't be deferring to other players as much when it counts.

Adding Broome to the lineup (and Cumberland) could alleviate some of the extra pressure that Evans NEEDS to feel to make it to the next level IMO. I love Evans...but I am hoping he takes on a bigger role for his sake.
I'm looking for Evans to let it rip. Our team could very much have a "men against boys" feel to it if he decides to be as cold-blooded as we all want him to be.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:07 PM   #26
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
I'm looking for Evans to let it rip. Our team could very much have a "men against boys" feel to it if he decides to be as cold-blooded as we all want him to be.
That's the thing. I think he is cold blooded. He's ice! We just need him to do that more!!
Old 08-22-2017, 01:20 PM   #27
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
That's the thing. I think he is cold blooded. He's ice! We just need him to do that more!!
One of Evans best plays is the stop and pop 3. He nails over 40% of those. Let it rip Jacob!! Seriously...shoot them all. At a rate of .418 you can shoot any of these IMO. We haven't had that % in 15 years. That is also your best resume for the next level. LAUNCH!!
Old 08-22-2017, 01:55 PM   #28
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Brendel View Post
After seeing Trevor in workouts this summer, I think you will be way off base on him...
If he were going against KJ he would never score
Old 08-22-2017, 01:58 PM   #29
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
There is no context with this question so my answer would be Bart/Quadri. UC will have a big enough lead that the victory cigars will be playing.

Close game, whoever Cronin decides to go with to exploit other teams weakness, also depends on foul trouble/injuries etc.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:02 PM   #30
Chad Brendel
Elite Member

Chad Brendel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I know summer league play is hard to gauge sometimes...but he scored a lot of points and he wasn't doing most of that damage from 3. I like the sound of that since he was reportedly being brought in for his 3 point prowess. Perhaps you are talking about other times you have seen him this summer but I was certainly happy seeing he could score lots of points without landing a lot of 3's.
I didn't see any of the summer league games...
Chad Brendel is offline   Reply With Quote