Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 08-03-2017, 07:32 AM   #591
ZCat
Elite Member

ZCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerOH View Post
I think Diarra and definitely K.Williams will be every bit as good as freshmen as Clark or Cumberland.
You are KW biggest cheerleader. I am pumped to watch him play.
When is the open Practice to kick off the season?
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:00 PM   #592
rogerOH

rogerOH is on a distinguished road
I wish they would have Midnight Madness this year. Most of MC's teams have had an obvious weakness( depth- lack of height-scoring-experience-etc.) but not this year. On paper this is MC's best team by far IMO. Mick if you read this board ,how about a Midnight Madness opening to this season.
rogerOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:55 PM   #593
ZCat
Elite Member

ZCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I wish they would have Midnight Madness this year. Most of MC's teams have had an obvious weakness( depth- lack of height-scoring-experience-etc.) but not this year. On paper this is MC's best team by far IMO. Mick if you read this board ,how about a Midnight Madness opening to this season.
Maybe we can do a Twitter storm lol
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 04:06 PM   #594
rogerOH

While I am begging for a return to Midnight Madness - Might as well bring back Bearcat Nikki- she was memorable.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:27 PM   #595
Garybearcat

Garybearcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
While I am begging for a return to Midnight Madness - Might as well bring back Bearcat Nikki- she was memorable.
Yes she was I worked with her mom at the time.
Garybearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:53 AM   #596
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I like your optimism on Diarra! I am wondering how you see him scoring? He doesn't seem to be a back to the basket guy and his perimeter skills seem somewhat limited. He reminds me a little of Scott with a better outside shot. He has a nice outside stroke but I would almost rather play small in emergencies with a guy like Williams who can both shoot and break a guy down to get in the lane. How much do we lose on D if we play with Evans as our makeshift 4 over Scott or Diarra? I think we gain more on offense than we would lose on D.

I am just curious really. I am trying to figure out where Diarra fits in on the offensive side because I don't know enough about his game.
I don't really know about Diarra's back to the basket game. I just know that he has good touch from what I have seen. There's something there to work with, especially bc he is 6'9" with good length and athleticism. Chad has mentioned his ability to run the floor too. And if I recall, some of the recruiting sites even had him listed as a SF. Sounds like a potential matchup problem for AAC teams to me. After a couple years playing with our guys, I don't really have any reason to believe he won't hold his own at minimum. I won't predict how many PPG we'll get out of him bc I haven't seen anything other than random clips of him shooting and dunking...but I trust that we brought him in for a reason. I mean, we were linked to Carlton Bragg but took a commitment from Diarra instead. That tells me the staff believes in him. I guess we'll see how he develops, but it seems to me that he has the tools to be a starter and contributor here.

I don't disagree about going small with Cumberland, Evans, and Williams as the mix and match 2-4s in small lineups. But I don't think that can be a full-time thing. So say we were to get Harris, or a pretty good PG to replace Broome and Jenifer...We would have that player, Cumberland, Williams, T Moore, Scott, Diarra, Nsoseme, Brooks, plus whoever else we'd bring in over the next 2 years. If we maintain our 1 HR type guy per class, I don't really see Diarra needing to score more than 8-10 PPG anyway. That may be getting too ahead of ourselves. But if he is a matchup problem on offense with his size and range, and a guy who can switch everything and cover a ton of ground of defense, he'll be a net positive player just based on that alone. And that doesn't account for any development he could make in the post over his time here. And Lord knows we have enough big guys for him to battle against everyday in practice in the meantime.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:55 AM   #597
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
I don't really know about Diarra's back to the basket game. I just know that he has good touch from what I have seen. There's something there to work with, especially bc he is 6'9" with good length and athleticism. Chad has mentioned his ability to run the floor too. And if I recall, some of the recruiting sites even had him listed as a SF. Sounds like a potential matchup problem for AAC teams to me. After a couple years playing with our guys, I don't really have any reason to believe he won't hold his own at minimum. I won't predict how many PPG we'll get out of him bc I haven't seen anything other than random clips of him shooting and dunking...but I trust that we brought him in for a reason. I mean, we were linked to Carlton Bragg but took a commitment from Diarra instead. That tells me the staff believes in him. I guess we'll see how he develops, but it seems to me that he has the tools to be a starter and contributor here.

I don't disagree about going small with Cumberland, Evans, and Williams as the mix and match 2-4s in small lineups. But I don't think that can be a full-time thing. So say we were to get Harris, or a pretty good PG to replace Broome and Jenifer...We would have that player, Cumberland, Williams, T Moore, Scott, Diarra, Nsoseme, Brooks, plus whoever else we'd bring in over the next 2 years. If we maintain our 1 HR type guy per class, I don't really see Diarra needing to score more than 8-10 PPG anyway. That may be getting too ahead of ourselves. But if he is a matchup problem on offense with his size and range, and a guy who can switch everything and cover a ton of ground of defense, he'll be a net positive player just based on that alone. And that doesn't account for any development he could make in the post over his time here. And Lord knows we have enough big guys for him to battle against everyday in practice in the meantime.
And if we're just talking next year bc Clark and Washington will be gone...we will have enough scoring punch from Broome, Evans, and Cumberland alone. The rest of the guys are just house money if they can breakout. But at worst I trust that they'll be good supporting cast type players. That includes Diarra.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:21 AM   #598
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post

Okay thanks. That's about how I view him too. Nice touch on long range shots for a big. Athletic and mobile on D...can run the court. At worst a very nice role player and at best he will improve some skills and provide some punch on offense. I agree we brought him here for a reason.

I like what I hear from him on work ethic and his attitude. Along with a guy like Nsoseme we always want players who will work hard at getting better. I still like him and Brooks as "next guys in" when Washington and Clark leave. Although I could still see a scenario where we go with Brooks and 4 guards/wings since we have 3-4 guys in the 6'5" to 6'6" range.

If Diarra can develop a post move or a slashing move he may improve his chances. Heck even a nice face up mid range shot would probably work for him.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:17 PM   #599
rogerOH

Just reading the new updated roster bios on the GoBearcats site and noticed how young Trevor Moore is compared to our other frosh- K. Williams is a year older and Nsoseme and Diarra are two years older.
Old 09-02-2017, 05:16 PM   #600
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
While I do think this team will be better than last year, there are going to be times when we are going to miss Troy Caupain.

I subscribed to Synergy and have been able to download and watch all the games from last year. I went back and watched the Kansas State game and man, Troy's performance in that first half was brilliant. I haven't gotten through the 2nd half yet but he was driving the ball and aggressive. I just wish he had played that way all season.

That said, I think UC will end up having 3 fearless scorers next year. teams like Xavier always have relentless scorers on their team who are alpha dogs on offense. UC for the first time in a long long time, will have Jarron, Kyle and Cane as Alpha dog scorers. When you watch film you can easily see that Jarron wants to be the alpha of the team but also didn't want to step on toes as a freshman. Meanwhile, Evans has the green light and yet sometimes tried to hide off the ball in big games. He didn't want to try and playmake for himself. Its going to be interesting to see how this shakes out. I mean, i could even see Evans scoring production go down if he doesn't demand the ball. HE has the most NBA size and talent but needs to be a dog on the court to be a breakout NBA guy
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote