Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football

View Poll Results: Will UC win against UCF?
Yes 1 4.17%
No 23 95.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2017, 09:36 PM   #11
ZCat
Elite Member

ZCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
Yeah, the not going for two is mind boggling to me why he wouldn't. Almost have to wonder if he was just unaware, which if so is inexcusable. Got to wonder what role his assistants and other coaches are playing in-game. If it's overwhelming to him maybe he needs to delegate some duties.

Regardless, this team won't win games as bad as this offense is. He seems dead set on not only a pass first offense, but a pass to the sideline at the line of scrimmage mentality. Not only has this proved completely ineffective, our QB simply can't make that throw. The defense is playing up on the receivers and even when Moore completes the pass, it's met quickly for an easy tackle and a no gain. College football has seen so many gimmick offenses that can put up 5-600 yards a game and somehow we can't figure out how to play north and south in our passing game. It's frustrating to watch and unfortunately I see no way it changes this year.
Just like the mod said on BCN, the ball takes forever to get to the sideline. Pick six waiting to happen.
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:44 AM   #12
Emperor Snapper

Emperor Snapper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post

Regardless, this team won't win games as bad as this offense is. He seems dead set on not only a pass first offense, but a pass to the sideline at the line of scrimmage mentality. Not only has this proved completely ineffective, our QB simply can't make that throw. The defense is playing up on the receivers and even when Moore completes the pass, it's met quickly for an easy tackle and a no gain. College football has seen so many gimmick offenses that can put up 5-600 yards a game and somehow we can't figure out how to play north and south in our passing game. It's frustrating to watch and unfortunately I see no way it changes this year.
Moore's arm strength is terrible. his downfield passes are consistently floated and underthrown. He is incapable of throwing the out routes effectively. None of this is going to magically change.

On Saturday, when the second string had taken over at every other spot, Moore was still playing. I think Fickell felt if he put Trail in the game and had some success, he could create a QB controversy, so he is going to stick with Moore regardless of outcomes.
Emperor Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:56 AM   #13
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Doaks needs 20+ carries tonight.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:06 PM   #14
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

I don't get why Doaks isn't running between the tackles on 1st and 2nd downs.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:09 PM   #15
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

3rd down penalties need to go away.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:58 AM   #16
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Anyone able to explain to me just what in the h-e double hockey sticks we think we're doing on offense? I don't get it one bit. Our defense is awful. It's bad. We give up drives, big plays, we're on the field a lot, it's bad. Really bad. Why not use the offense to at least try to help them out a little bit? We threw the ball 40 times and our RBs combined for 13 carries...which is the same amount as the QB. WTF? I mean, Hayden Moore is a 56.3% career passer and he's at 53.5% this year. So why are we throwing so much before 3rd down? NORMALLY I'd understand it. I like having balance and keeping the defense guessing on whether it's run or pass. But this isn't normal. Our defense is bad, our 3 RBs are good, the QB can actually move a little bit, and we complete a low % of passes. So why stop the clock 17 times with incompletions and 0 yard plays? How about we run early and try to set up 3rd and manageable? Is that so crazy? We have a 0% chance of winning if we're going to try to have a shootout with UCF, USF...basically anyone good. So why are we making these games so long? The goal for our offense should be to chew up 5 minutes any time we have it. I don't even care if we score. Just keep the defense off the damn field as much as possible.

I get that we aren't that good, but getting our a$$es beat every week without even being competitive is getting a little old. I mean we're 2 TDs off from even covering spreads. That's underachieving...even for a rebuilding team. We have 5 games left that *should* be winnable. Not saying we will win, or even should win, but they should be winnable. What are we doing to set ourselves up to win those games? I figured even at our worst we were better than Temple, ECU, and UConn. But now idk. I mean we'll almost certainly lose to Temple. And the way we're trending, those other games aren't locks either. And I'm not even putting Tulane in the category of games we should win. We aren't seeing much progress. That should start to change at this point. Our coaches have now had time to see what these guys can and can't do. Let's see some adjustments now.

Last edited by jacobkdoyle; 10-08-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:01 AM   #17
M64W

M64W is on a distinguished road
Defense

Is the Bearcats defense that bad? It has to be that we do not have the athletes to compete. I am sure they are trying, and that the coaches are putting them in proper positions, but they are lacking the athleticism to get the job done. Am I wrong?
M64W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:57 AM   #18
skylinecat

skylinecat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by M64W View Post
Is the Bearcats defense that bad? It has to be that we do not have the athletes to compete. I am sure they are trying, and that the coaches are putting them in proper positions, but they are lacking the athleticism to get the job done. Am I wrong?
I was at the game and would agree with your assessment. Our seats were right behind the UCF bench. They were massive and fast. There were a lot of plays where our guys were in the position to make the play and just got straight up ran over. Not much Fickell can do about that.
skylinecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:14 AM   #19
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Anyone able to explain to me just what in the h-e double hockey sticks we think we're doing on offense? I don't get it one bit. Our defense is awful. It's bad. We give up drives, big plays, we're on the field a lot, it's bad. Really bad. Why not use the offense to at least try to help them out a little bit? We threw the ball 40 times and our RBs combined for 13 carries...which is the same amount as the QB. WTF? I mean, Hayden Moore is a 56.3% career passer and he's at 53.5% this year. So why are we throwing so much before 3rd down? NORMALLY I'd understand it. I like having balance and keeping the defense guessing on whether it's run or pass. But this isn't normal. Our defense is bad, our 3 RBs are good, the QB can actually move a little bit, and we complete a low % of passes. So why stop the clock 17 times with incompletions and 0 yard plays? How about we run early and try to set up 3rd and manageable? Is that so crazy? We have a 0% chance of winning if we're going to try to have a shootout with UCF, USF...basically anyone good. So why are we making these games so long? The goal for our offense should be to chew up 5 minutes any time we have it. I don't even care if we score. Just keep the defense off the damn field as much as possible.

I get that we aren't that good, but getting our a$$es beat every week without even being competitive is getting a little old. I mean we're 2 TDs off from even covering spreads. That's underachieving...even for a rebuilding team. We have 5 games left that *should* be winnable. Not saying we will win, or even should win, but they should be winnable. What are we doing to set ourselves up to win those games? I figured even at our worst we were better than Temple, ECU, and UConn. But now idk. I mean we'll almost certainly lose to Temple. And the way we're trending, those other games aren't locks either. And I'm not even putting Tulane in the category of games we should win. We aren't seeing much progress. That should start to change at this point. Our coaches have now had time to see what these guys can and can't do. Let's see some adjustments now.
This is a rebuild and I told myself before the season that I wouldn't get too upset no matter what. That being said you're spot on, not only is this is a bad team, this is a very poorly coached team. I don't even even think TT and his staff would be doing a worse job at this point in terms of on the field coaching.

Based on what Luke has done on the recruiting trail the talent will improve. Let's hope that the staff and Luke learn from the mistakes this season and get better as the talent improves.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:08 AM   #20
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
This is a rebuild and I told myself before the season that I wouldn't get too upset no matter what. That being said you're spot on, not only is this is a bad team, this is a very poorly coached team. I don't even even think TT and his staff would be doing a worse job at this point in terms of on the field coaching.

Based on what Luke has done on the recruiting trail the talent will improve. Let's hope that the staff and Luke learn from the mistakes this season and get better as the talent improves.
100%