Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 05-04-2016, 06:43 PM   #1
Bearcat Rob
Elite Member

Bearcat Rob is on a distinguished road
Troy to Steph Curry Camp

Mentioned by another poster in another thread (I believe ucalum08 originally mentioned but not positive) figured it deserved its own thread. Found this online:

The camp features 20 of the top high school point guards and shooting guards in the word for an intense four-day camp in the Bay Area. Focusing on an immersive and hands-on approach, Curry, renowned basketball trainer Rob McClanaghan and Under Armour Basketball designed the four-day curriculum to teach the players the fundamentals that enable guards to excel at the highest level, the importance of off-the-court growth and insights from Curry on his personal journey from high school unknown to NBA All-Star starter and 2nd Team All NBA recognition.

The camp staff includes the Charlotte Hornets all time leading scorer Dell Curry, scouting expert and ESPN college basketball analyst Fran Fraschilla, a number of the country’s most successful high school basketball coaches and trainers who helped Stephen during his career.

“The SC30 Select Camp is a once-in-a-lifetime experience where campers will come to work and immerse themselves in the game, learn how to navigate off-court challenges and become positive role models in their communities,” said Curry. “I grew up blessed with a father who had a great basketball mind and 16 years of NBA experience, so to give back some of that knowledge to high school athletes as they prepare for the next level is important. This camp will represent an opportunity for each person to get better and to develop that never take the game for granted mentality.”

Players learn fundamentals essential to guard play through film sessions and correlating on- court drills. The agenda also includes personal growth lectures and a community event at a local court refurbished by Stephen and Under Armour Basketball.
*camp takes place at the end of June in California
Bearcat Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:44 PM   #2
Bearcat Rob
Elite Member

Here's a YouTube video of it
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jN4yUZ3yvVg

Great camp, it's going to be a great experience and exposure and confidence booster for troy. Really think he can learn a lot from steph
Old 05-04-2016, 07:37 PM   #3
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Thanks for posting more in depth. Once I saw that Troy got invited to it, I didn't find much about it. Good to hear more about it. It can only help Troy so this is a good thing. I was say I would like more of our players to go to these development camps in the off season.

So you say its for high school kids. Is it normal for a senior in college to come?
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:00 PM   #4
rogerOH

rogerOH is on a distinguished road
I would think he is working the camp.
rogerOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:01 PM   #5
Chad Brendel
Elite Member

Chad Brendel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCalum08 View Post
Thanks for posting more in depth. Once I saw that Troy got invited to it, I didn't find much about it. Good to hear more about it. It can only help Troy so this is a good thing. I was say I would like more of our players to go to these development camps in the off season.

So you say its for high school kids. Is it normal for a senior in college to come?
These type camps all invite a select group of top college players to act as camp counselors. The college kids assist the instructors during drill stations and have mentoring sessions with the high school kids during the down time. They also get blocks of time set aside where the college guys play pick up games, which are usually littered with the NBA guys hanging around as well...
Chad Brendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:26 PM   #6
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Brendel View Post
These type camps all invite a select group of top college players to act as camp counselors. The college kids assist the instructors during drill stations and have mentoring sessions with the high school kids during the down time. They also get blocks of time set aside where the college guys play pick up games, which are usually littered with the NBA guys hanging around as well...
Good to know. Thanks for the additional info! It's crazy to think some of those top high school kids aren't much younger than Troy.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:58 PM   #7
Bearcat Rob
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCalum08 View Post

I think your question was answered. But the camp consists of 20 high schoolers with about four-five of the top college guards acting as counselors. It's a great get for troy. Here were last years counselors:
Melo Trimble
Isiahah whitehead
Demetrius jackson
Bryant McIntosh

*some great players there, big honor for Troy, hopefully a sign of what this season has in store for him
Old 05-04-2016, 10:10 PM   #8
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Good opportunity for Troy. Now recruit Duval
Old 05-04-2016, 10:31 PM   #9
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat Rob View Post
I think your question was answered. But the camp consists of 20 high schoolers with about four-five of the top college guards acting as counselors. It's a great get for troy. Here were last years counselors:
Melo Trimble
Isiahah whitehead
Demetrius jackson
Bryant McIntosh

*some great players there, big honor for Troy, hopefully a sign of what this season has in store for him
Wow that's amazing. I was very confused too when it mentioned just high school seniors. So good to hear though, what an honor
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:44 PM   #10
Bearcat Rob
Elite Member

Trying to find out who the counselors will be with troy. I know Justin Gibbs from Davidson who averaged like 24 ppg last year is one of them