Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2017, 11:06 AM   #821
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
We were 90th in attempts last year, and that's total. We played 36 games, which is more than most teams. So per games we were probably in the 100s. Not sure it's that we shoot way too many...after all, all 5 of our starters are capable of hitting them when open. Most teams don't have that. For me, it just comes down to who is shooting them. Obviously it'd be nice to get more FT attempts. Guys like Williams, Broome, and Cumberland settling for contested 3s wouldn't be good. But we can still shoot just as many as we did last year overall and it wouldn't be a huge deal. We did have our best offense ever under Cronin, right? Making teams respect our shooting is huge for stretching out the defense. Evans and T Moore can shoot as many as they want imo. Cumberland too, since he has the good natural instincts and knows when to drive, when to pump fake, and when to shoot. I get that 3s vs FTs can be a mentality thing, and that's important. But it's also important to have guys who can actually get to the line. That's a skill. Most college players don't have that skill. If you see our FTs go up this year, I think it'll mostly have to do with having 3 players who can get to the line regularly as part of their natural game. Just like we don't want to force 3s, we don't want to force drives. It stalls out the offense when it doesn't work.
My opinion would be it's a home vs road thing.

Home shooting % was off the charts and on the road was abysmal.

The question is why? Playing patsies at home is one thing but letting the D get set up on the road is another. Walking the ball up, waiting to set up the offense, passing the ball around the perimeter, not being able to get the ball to our bigs, and not getting to the line. All things we can improve upon to get better shots and our % up.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:35 AM   #822
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Jake I agree our personnel is better but to beat good teams you have to get to FT line and get some easy hoops in transition. Let's also not forget that last years team while better offensively didn't get out of the first weekend. We on this board were screaming for someone to play downhill. If we get that with some easy transition baskets we will be a tough out. I'm not saying we shouldn't take open looks just saying to great instead of good we need to run and also get to the line much more then past years
I certainly agree with all of this. I just don't necessarily think 3 pt shooting and FT attempts have to be mutually exclusive. Our backcourt last year of Caupain and Johnson compared to Broome and Cumberland this year will just by itself go a long way in getting us to the line more. And I'm very excited about that.

I like the point about making more than our opponents attempt. Cronin's teams are great at defense without fouling. We could absolutely be one of the teams that can boast that stat this year. Will be interesting to track.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:39 AM   #823
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
My opinion would be it's a home vs road thing.

Home shooting % was off the charts and on the road was abysmal.

The question is why? Playing patsies at home is one thing but letting the D get set up on the road is another. Walking the ball up, waiting to set up the offense, passing the ball around the perimeter, not being able to get the ball to our bigs, and not getting to the line. All things we can improve upon to get better shots and our % up.
I'll be interested to see if playing at NKU does anything for our consistency in home vs road splits. I'd hope we wouldn't go in the direction of previous year's road games, but rather learn how to impose our style on any court.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:48 PM   #824
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'll be interested to see if playing at NKU does anything for our consistency in home vs road splits. I'd hope we wouldn't go in the direction of previous year's road games, but rather learn how to impose our style on any court.
I think playing off campus is going to be huge in the end. We will never be in our most comfortable surroundings all year. We will be a road team or neutral team all year.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:26 PM   #825
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
If you guys want to get a little preview of Cane against AAC competition; Here he is playing against UCONN.

1. He has good defense awareness, poked the ball loose on a pass in the paint and then scored on the other end by taking his man off the dribble.

2. Also had a nice coast to coast layout just just rolled out.

It shows he can get into the paint on high major teams though and While i know he will take time to adjust, i think he will play well for UC..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gte6nxr8rj...t%201.mp4?dl=0
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:27 PM   #826
justinhub2003
Epic Member

PS if you ever want me to upload a certain portion of any game from the last few years, I have that ability. One of my favorites to re-watch is the end of the Marshall game
Old 10-18-2017, 01:28 PM   #827
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I think playing off campus is going to be huge in the end. We will never be in our most comfortable surroundings all year. We will be a road team or neutral team all year.
I have a feeling though, its not going to feel like an away game. 103 Season tickets by last count and Packages are selling like crazy.

My season tickets just arrived today. Im so pumped
Old 10-18-2017, 01:49 PM   #828
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
I have a feeling though, its not going to feel like an away game. 103 Season tickets by last count and Packages are selling like crazy.

My season tickets just arrived today. Im so pumped
We are bringing our floor aren't we?
Old 10-18-2017, 02:20 PM   #829
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
We are bringing our floor aren't we?
Not for all the games.