Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-29-2018, 01:11 PM   #241
Defense first

Defense first is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I haven' really been surprised in weeks at our poll #'s other than they split KS between us and X. We move past the obvious teams every week and that is it. We aren't in a great conference. I am happy with our ranking. We haven't even played 4 of our toughest games yet.

It's all going to work itself out as we play the final month. We can really impress some voters. Right now we are just beating teams we are supposed to...which is an accomplishment IMO since many teams are losing to them...but it's not a poll mover.
Going by the rpi metrics we have beaten 8 top 100 teams. I don't mind not moving up a lot, but when the teams a head of you lose it should be automatic to move up, not for them to stay in front. They had no problem dropping us 14 spots after Xavier and Florida. West Virginia losses 4 out if 5 and drops 8 spots. To much bias, rankings are there to rank teams, positive gains for teams winning and negative for losing teams. I don't care who you lose to you should drop at least one spot. Hoping after we win the conferencee the respect will be given to our seed line. Would love a3 seed but seems more and more likely no matter what we do we will be a 4 or lower. Is the committee putting more on the Ken pom or rpi rankings?
Defense first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:13 PM   #242
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defense first View Post
Going by the rpi metrics we have beaten 8 top 100 teams. I don't mind not moving up a lot, but when the teams a head of you lose it should be automatic to move up, not for them to stay in front. They had no problem dropping us 14 spots after Xavier and Florida. West Virginia losses 4 out if 5 and drops 8 spots. To much bias, rankings are there to rank teams, positive gains for teams winning and negative for losing teams. I don't care who you lose to you should drop at least one spot. Hoping after we win the pressure the respect will be given to our seed line. Would love a3 seed but seems more and more likely no matter what we do we will be a 4 or lower. Is the committee putting more on the Ken pom or rpi rankings?
The best seed line of a 4 is not true.. It's too hard to say what we will get because we have 10 games left and a conference tournament, but to think we can't get higher than a 4 is ridiculous.

Assuming we don't get tripped up by a UConn or Tulane I look at it as 5 games left

Home against Houston
@ SMU
@Houston
Home against WSU
@ WSU

We go 4-1, I'd say we are for sure a 3 seed or better. Gotta get a conference tournament championship under our belt as well and then really consider a 2 or 1 seed.

We win out (which is not impossible) I guarantee a 1 seed.

Last edited by GarradJ21; 01-29-2018 at 01:16 PM.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:31 PM   #243
ervins84
Elite Member

ervins84 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ervins84 Send a message via Skype™ to ervins84
it is important to note though the total votes difference by week, and not just the actual ranking. We did "gain" more votes than any team in this grouping, the gap was just pretty big from 9 to 8 previously and not as closely lumped as the other spots, but that looks to be changing.

Either way, who cares. Kpom #6 and not far from #4!

Last Week
#9 Cincy 1087
#8 Xavier 1180
#7 Wva 1217
#6 MSU 1243
#5 Kansas 1338
#4 Duke 1439

This week:
#8 UC 1208 +121 votes
#7 Kansas 1224 minus 114 votes
#6 Xavier 1278 +98 votes
#5 MSU 1347 +104 votes
#4 Duke 1372 Minus 67 votes

Last edited by ervins84; 01-29-2018 at 01:34 PM.
ervins84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:34 PM   #244
Helicopter

Helicopter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
The best seed line of a 4 is not true.. It's too hard to say what we will get because we have 10 games left and a conference tournament, but to think we can't get higher than a 4 is ridiculous.

Assuming we don't get tripped up by a UConn or Tulane I look at it as 5 games left

Home against Houston
@ SMU
@Houston
Home against WSU
@ WSU

We go 4-1, I'd say we are for sure a 3 seed or better. Gotta get a conference tournament championship under our belt as well and then really consider a 2 or 1 seed.

We win out (which is not impossible) I guarantee a 1 seed.
If we win out (not impossible but unlikely) than you are looking at top 5 RPI, top 5 kenpom, top 5 BPI, which is a virtual lock for a 1 seed.
Helicopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:46 PM   #245
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
I think this team has a high seed ceiling but it’s very fragile .

If we drop 2 in a row @houston and @smu, they will drop us like a bad habit. But if we can only lose 1 game we can get a 1 or 2 seed.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:48 PM   #246
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Let’s be real though. Our conference schedule has been the easiest in the conference.

From here on out nothing will be a given
Old 01-29-2018, 02:52 PM   #247
GarradJ21
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
I think this team has a high seed ceiling but it’s very fragile .

If we drop 2 in a row @houston and @smu, they will drop us like a bad habit. But if we can only lose 1 game we can get a 1 or 2 seed.
If we lose those 2 games, we have bigger issues than our seed line. There's no reason to lose back to back against SMU and Houston (this year). I get it, they are better than the majority of the opponents we have played, but still, we can't be losing those 2 games. If we would lose 2 @SMU and @Houston we would really need to be thankful we aren't in the Big 12 and really need to question our coach and team. If our best team in 12 years loses these games I might be done. Sorry I went on a rampage but seriously, this should not happen this year.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:57 PM   #248
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
If we lose those 2 games, we have bigger issues than our seed line. There's no reason to lose back to back against SMU and Houston (this year). I get it, they are better than the majority of the opponents we have played, but still, we can't be losing those 2 games. If we would lose 2 @SMU and @Houston we would really need to be thankful we aren't in the Big 12 and really need to question our coach and team. If our best team in 12 years loses these games I might be done. Sorry I went on a rampage but seriously, this should not happen this year.
Zero shame in losing to top 50 teams on the road

Duke lost 2 times on the road to worse teams
Old 01-29-2018, 02:58 PM   #249
GarradJ21
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Zero shame in losing to top 50 teams on the road
Ok, so we sit there and beat our chests about our team but it would be no big deal losing 2 in a row to two bubble teams? I'm sorry, any other year I would agree, but if we think we are a national championship type team (which I do), then yes, there's some serious shame.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:00 PM   #250
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Ok, so we sit there and beat our chests about our team but it would be no big deal losing 2 in a row to two bubble teams. I'm sorry, any other year I would agree, if we think we are a national championship type team, then yes, there's some serious shame.
We’re not a national championship team.

If things broke absolutely perfect, then maybe but no team has win the nati with an offense or defense in the 60’s