Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Football Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2010, 02:23 PM   #21
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
Toledo offered.
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:44 PM   #22
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
Oak Hills junior LB Ben Russell offered by Air Force MikeDyer, Tuesday, May 18, 2010
Old 05-20-2010, 11:31 AM   #23
swg
Epic Member

Free Rivals article on Russell (saw on BCN...thank you)

After receiving average interest from the Bearcats through March, Russell recently earned the academic inquiry from UC. Each college is allotted an academic and athletic visit during the Evaluation Period. Today is the ultimate day of evaluation for Russell.

"They are coming to watch me run," said Russell. "If everything goes good I am going to get an offer."
The tryout, of sorts, could earn Russell his long-coveted UC scholarship offer. Even though the Cincinnati-based LB exploded to the ball-carrier all season long, he looked Russell decided not to play baseball this spring and does not regret the choice at all.

"I think it was a great decision," said Russell. "I got stronger, heavier. My bench max going into my junior year was 275," said Russell. Right now it is about 335, 340. My squat, it was crazy?before I was going out for baseball. It was 425, now its 525 max."

With his weight drastically improved coaches are having an easier time envisioning him in their linebacker corps.

"I decided not to play baseball this year and focus on football," said Russell. "My weight has gone up big time. I am a lot stronger."

Russell has always loved football and demonstrated good instincts and a hunger for the ball. The benefit of his added weight has not been seen. The obvious concern by recruiters would be that his weight could slow him down, making him less effective. Russell maintains that is not the case. It's hard to doubt him, but today the stopwatch will be the judge.

"I think they are just going to make sure that it is the right decision," said Russell. "I haven't lost any speed. I am sure I haven't gained any speed."

Earlier in the recruitment Russell felt like he was underexposed, that too few college coaches knew his name. While that might still be his opinion a true champion can not ask for more than the chance to prove his worth. While Russell might feel more comfortable smashing his helmet into the chest of a running back from his evaluation will be free of pads and opponents.

In February, Cincinnati seemed to have an edge with Russell. Though UC could still regain the lead several MAC schools are both giving and receiving the love.

"I would say they (UC) are one of the top schools on my list," said Russell. "I received a Toledo offer last week. I visited there and I really liked it. They are a top school. And Akron."

The next month will be extremely active for Russell as he climbs into consideration for schools like Cincinnati, Northwestern, Pitt, and West Virginia. Truthfully Illinois and Minnesota were the only BCS schools to give the full service package upfront. He now has a Minnesota offer and plans to get to Illinois for camp.

UC will host Russell for camp in June. That camp attendance could prove moot with a strong showing later today in front of Linebacker Coach John Jancek.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:48 PM   #24
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
This kid seems committed and I would be shocked if UC doesn't offer him soon. Gotta make sure the good local kids stay home.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:55 PM   #25
swg
Epic Member

I'd like to see that happen. IMO, it would benefit BJ to recruit heavily in the tri-state area this year, build rapport with the coaches, and be in line for the bigger fish later. Plus, I think he's solid.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:59 PM   #26
Racinejake

Racinejake will become famous soon enough
I've heard from several local guys that they think Russell would be an absolute steal in this class. We definitely need middle linebackers so if the coaches like what they see from him I say bring him in.
Racinejake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:23 PM   #27
swg
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racinejake View Post
I've heard from several local guys that they think Russell would be an absolute steal in this class. We definitely need middle linebackers so if the coaches like what they see from him I say bring him in.
I would be disappointed if UC doesn't nail him. BJ stated that front seven was a big concern, and we've seem him address that since he's been here. Hearing him talk, I can say I'm a big fan of his, and he has my full confidence.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:04 PM   #28
swg
Epic Member

Haven't heard much in regards to how well he did yesterday. Hopefully soon we'll see/hear an offer has been made. If not, then assume Butch wants to wait until camp to make a final determination.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:06 PM   #29
Racinejake

Racinejake will become famous soon enough
Yeah I thought it was interesting that Rivals had that big free piece yesterday about Russell and Jancek coming to watch him run. Then they don't have any type of follow up on what happened. They set it up to be a big event but no mention of how it actually went.
Racinejake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:41 PM   #30
swg
Epic Member

Maybe rivals doesn't work on fri nite and sat/sun like we do.