Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football

Old 09-23-2014, 03:23 PM   #1
Bearcat Rob
Elite Member

Bearcat Rob is on a distinguished road
OSU

I know we didn't look great against miami but before osu I think we just took them lightly so who cares about that score. This offense is explosive ranking 9th in the nation in passing yards and 14th in points per game and osu defense is suspect. Osu hasn't wanted to play us for years acting like they are on another level than us but the truth is we have one off the most consistent and underrated programs in the country down here with players wanting their respect. I predict the upset and some angry osu fans
Bearcat Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:45 PM   #2
BCM
Epic Member

BCM is an unknown quantity at this point
My body is ready
BCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:20 PM   #3
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
I'm as big a UC fan as anyone, but we are nowhere near on the same playing field as OSU. I will agree that OSU and the Big Ten as a whole have probably downgraded a bit with the SEC completely owning college football and recruiting the past say five to ten years. But UC can't even pretend to recruit on the same level as OSU. Yeah some players break their rankings and any one game anything can happen but overall we just don't match up. And this year in particular we have looked like garbage on defense. Our offense has looked promising but Gunner Kiel has played two college games, both against MAC schools and this past week made a few pretty bad reads. Our lines haven't matched up well with either MAC school we faced and we are going up against a team that recruits near the top year in, year out. Playing against much better talent will only increase the cost of our misplays and blown coverages and bad reads. If our lines can't handle MAC schools, they won't handle a Big Ten school, much less the premiere Big Ten school.

Now with all that said, I imagine our boys will be jacked up for this game. Unfortunately I don't think OSU will take us lightly, especially with a loss already under their belt. We will get their best and they should get our best. Obviously I will be rooting for the upset. Our best chance is for our offense to play mistake free, our defense to force some turnovers, well timed trick plays and being aggressive on both sides of the ball. Special teams will have to be big as well. After watching this team through two weeks I hope what we have seen is not what we will see. Otherwise it could be a long night. Either way I will be way up high cheering them on. I'm excited to see their stadium. Not as excited to see their fans.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:46 PM   #4
BCM
Epic Member

BCM is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm sure they are excited enough for your money
BCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:12 AM   #5
bearcats23

bearcats23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
If our lines can't handle MAC schools, they won't handle a Big Ten school, much less the premiere Big Ten school.
We are as good or better than every team in the Big Ten except for maybe Wisconsin, Michigan State, and OSU. And the verdict is still out on just how good OSU is.

I agree with most of your post but this statement struck me. Just because they are in the Big Ten doesn't automatically mean they are able to push us around on the lines due to their superior athletes. We recruit against most Big Ten schools, with the three I mentioned being in another tier on the recruiting front.
bearcats23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:47 AM   #6
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
I'm as big a UC fan as anyone, but we are nowhere near on the same playing field as OSU. I will agree that OSU and the Big Ten as a whole have probably downgraded a bit with the SEC completely owning college football and recruiting the past say five to ten years. But UC can't even pretend to recruit on the same level as OSU. Yeah some players break their rankings and any one game anything can happen but overall we just don't match up. And this year in particular we have looked like garbage on defense. Our offense has looked promising but Gunner Kiel has played two college games, both against MAC schools and this past week made a few pretty bad reads. Our lines haven't matched up well with either MAC school we faced and we are going up against a team that recruits near the top year in, year out. Playing against much better talent will only increase the cost of our misplays and blown coverages and bad reads. If our lines can't handle MAC schools, they won't handle a Big Ten school, much less the premiere Big Ten school.

Now with all that said, I imagine our boys will be jacked up for this game. Unfortunately I don't think OSU will take us lightly, especially with a loss already under their belt. We will get their best and they should get our best. Obviously I will be rooting for the upset. Our best chance is for our offense to play mistake free, our defense to force some turnovers, well timed trick plays and being aggressive on both sides of the ball. Special teams will have to be big as well. After watching this team through two weeks I hope what we have seen is not what we will see. Otherwise it could be a long night. Either way I will be way up high cheering them on. I'm excited to see their stadium. Not as excited to see their fans.
Dave going to a game in the Shoe is a treat. Great atmoshere and lots of fun. Been many times. There are as many people watching outside the staduim as there is inside during the game. Lots of parties and the crowd is very well behaved.You'll get your occasional joker but it is all in good fun. You'll come away thinking I want that kind of environment for UC.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:52 AM   #7
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Dave going to a game in the Shoe is a treat. Great atmoshere and lots of fun. Been many times. There are as many people watching outside the staduim as there is inside during the game. Lots of parties and the crowd is very well behaved.You'll get your occasional joker but it is all in good fun. You'll come away thinking I want that kind of environment for UC.
That is a very accurate statement. I am going up there this Saturday. I have some friends who live in Columbus who have a tailgating lot/spot. I won't be inside but the atmosphere is just as good outside as inside. I am bringing 3 other UC graduates up there so I'll have some UC support with me lol
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:54 AM   #8
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Found this article on ESPN. Some really good pub. for us. It was on the front page of the website.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...l-playoff-wall
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:30 PM   #9
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
This is true as a UC fan. I will tell you, having lived in Columbus for 7 years until just recently, the fans are not nearly as nice to Michigan fans. Not a safe haven for them and can get downright nasty.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:34 PM   #10
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCalum08 View Post
Found this article on ESPN. Some really good pub. for us. It was on the front page of the website.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...l-playoff-wall
Great read.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote