BearcatTalk.com

BearcatTalk.com (https://www.bearcattalk.com/index.php)
-   Bearcat Basketball (https://www.bearcattalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   2017-2018 Season (https://www.bearcattalk.com/showthread.php?t=11568)

jacobkdoyle 03-21-2017 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterhead (Post 166599)
I assume you are talking about our point guards...and yes height is a factor. But having the ability to break someone down of the bounce is going to offset that height disadvantage. They will be quick and elusive. Also, Evans is the definition of an elite athlete. Cumberland has proven you don't have to be.

I just hope Evans can catch on a little from what Cumberland does and stop dribbling around so much and just make one or two dribble moves and go or just pop the open shot when it's there. He gets a little to cute with the ball and then has to pass it away too often.

All in all I think we have the ingredients next year to make a legit run.

Everyone says this every year. We made a legit run this year, just not in the NCAA Tournament...which depends a lot on the matchups. Someone pointed out Xavier...perfect example. Their best team ever got knocked out in the 2nd round, and their most aggravating team ever is still alive. That's just how it goes. Sure the ingredients are there for us, doesn't mean we will or won't make a run in March though.

justinhub2003 03-21-2017 10:07 AM

I'm not worried about the height of our PG. I just want him to drive the ball and get in the lane.

Frank Mason is 5'11

But he plays taller because he is able to create in the lane.

ALSO;we have the option to run out Jacob as the point guard with Cumberland and Williams as the wings.

If we didn't have 2 other PG on the roster, I'd vote Jake to run the point.

jacobkdoyle 03-21-2017 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justinhub2003 (Post 166613)
I'm not worried about the height of our PG. I just want him to drive the ball and get in the lane.

Frank Mason is 5'11

But he plays taller because he is able to create in the lane.

ALSO;we have the option to run out Jacob as the point guard with Cumberland and Williams as the wings.

If we didn't have 2 other PG on the roster, I'd vote Jake to run the point.

Size is a non-issue for us imo. I'll just leave it at that.

WAITE HOYT 2 03-21-2017 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle (Post 166617)
Size is a non-issue for us imo. I'll just leave it at that.

Are you speaking from experience Jake.😂

Helicopter 03-21-2017 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justinhub2003 (Post 166597)
I think it's easy to see who the alpha dog of this team is: Jarron Cumberland

There is nothing shy about him. He wants the ball. And as he gets older, he'll make smarter decisions.

I thought it was Evans.

My only prediction for next year is that Jarron Cumberland leads this team in scoring and is an all-american next year. (and I mean all-american 1st team)

waterhead 03-21-2017 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle (Post 166604)
Everyone says this every year. We made a legit run this year, just not in the NCAA Tournament...which depends a lot on the matchups. Someone pointed out Xavier...perfect example. Their best team ever got knocked out in the 2nd round, and their most aggravating team ever is still alive. That's just how it goes. Sure the ingredients are there for us, doesn't mean we will or won't make a run in March though.

I can agree with you here Jacob to a certain extent. I just feel we lacked legitimate play makers on the perimeter. Go to guys who can get a shot off whenever they want or can draw defenders so they can make an assist in crunch time. I think we will have more of that next year and I think it's a vital ingredient to March success. Of course it depends on matchups but we lacked a go to guy at the point and SG. Cumberland was coming on at the end but next year should be more of a factor. Broome can create by all accounts. Evans may or may not...but I think he will add more to that part of his game knowing that it will be huge for his draft potential. He just needs to simplify things.

IABearcat 03-21-2017 10:51 AM

Also I just want add for the folks saying if the offense can be ranked as highly as our defense normally is, that would put UC top 10 in kenpom rankings. I would love to see that. I think they get close to that and hover top 10-15 most of the year.

Bearcat513 03-21-2017 11:28 AM

FWIW, KenPom released his all too early 2017-2018 top ten. The list was:
10. West Virginia
9. UNC
8. Louisville
7. Florida
6. Virginia
5. Witchita State
4. Gonzaga
3. Kentucky
2. Arizona
1.Villanova

He admits that there are a lot of moving parts still to happen, but if he had to rank teams right now, that's the top 10. His rankings combine mostly what is coming back and then what freshman are incoming. I wonder if we are somewhere between 11-20 given what we have returning.

cincyguy13 03-21-2017 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat513 (Post 166631)
FWIW, KenPom released his all too early 2017-2018 top ten. The list was:
10. West Virginia
9. UNC
8. Louisville
7. Florida
6. Virginia
5. Witchita State
4. Gonzaga
3. Kentucky
2. Arizona
1.Villanova

He admits that there are a lot of moving parts still to happen, but if he had to rank teams right now, that's the top 10. His rankings combine mostly what is coming back and then what freshman are incoming. I wonder if we are somewhere between 11-20 given what we have returning.

I think we should be 15-20 but if we just win, the rankings take care of their self. I know everyone liked to think there is a big conspiracy against Cincinnati, but there's not. If we win and beat good teams, we will be ranked and get a decent seed. If we beat up teams that are terrible and don't throw in 5-10 good wins, we won't

jacobkdoyle 03-21-2017 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cincyguy13 (Post 166633)
I think we should be 15-20 but if we just win, the rankings take care of their self. I know everyone liked to think there is a big conspiracy against Cincinnati, but there's not. If we win and beat good teams, we will be ranked and get a decent seed. If we beat up teams that are terrible and don't throw in 5-10 good wins, we won't

Yeah we'll definitely be Top 20. KenPom props up Virginia all the time. That's a flaw bc we all know what they are at the end of the day. We'll be fine.