BearcatTalk.com

BearcatTalk.com (https://www.bearcattalk.com/index.php)
-   Bearcat Basketball (https://www.bearcattalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Future teams (https://www.bearcattalk.com/showthread.php?t=12191)

WAITE HOYT 2 12-12-2018 07:46 AM

Future teams

Cats look to be in good shape moving forward.

Bigs:

Brooks for another year
Diarra 3 more years
Elle 2 more years

PG:

Logan 3 more years

Wings:

Cumberland 1 year
Williams 2 more years
Scott 1 more year
Moore 2 more years
Frederickson 1 more year.
Prince 4 more years
Hardnett???

In coming

Curtis wing

Feel free to correct any errors I may have made.

I like how things shape up over the next couple of years. Looking at the improvement Williams made and the Potential of Logan added to all we have returning and the team should be very solid going forward. Next year we lose JJ and Broome. But if Loagn and Curtis replace them and Moore steps up we should be fine.

Anyone have a opinion on Cumberland leaving early? I think he will stay his last year.

GarradJ21 12-12-2018 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 (Post 193350)

Bigs:

Brooks for another year
Diarra 3 more years
Elle 2 more years

PG:

Logan 3 more years

Wings:

Cumberland 1 year
Williams 2 more years
Scott 1 more year
Moore 2 more years
Prince 4 more years
Hardnett???

In coming

Curtis wing

I like how things shape up over the next couple of years. Looking at the improvement Williams made and the Potential of Logan added to all we have returning and the team should be very solid going forward. Next year we lose JJ and Broome. But if Loagn and Curtis replace them and Moore steps up we should be fine.

Anyone have a opinion on Cumberland leaving early? I think he will stay his last year.

He def. needs to stay his senior year IMO. He will get so much hype next year and I don't think he's fully ready for the NBA. He shouldn't hurt his chances by leaving too early. Jake had the natural athleticism for the NBA.

As long as his family and people around him convince him to stay. That's what worries me the most is the influences from family & friends.

That being said, he could always average 20+ a game from now until the end of the season and lead us to an elite 8 or better and get a lot of hype that way as well. I'd be ok with that.

WAITE HOYT 2 12-12-2018 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarradJ21 (Post 193353)
He def. needs to stay his senior year IMO. He will get so much hype next year and I don't think he's fully ready for the NBA. He shouldn't hurt his chances by leaving too early. Jake had the natural athleticism for the NBA.

As long as his family and people around him convince him to stay. That's what worries me the most is the influences from family & friends.

That being said, he could always average 20+ a game from now until the end of the season and lead us to an elite 8 or better and get a lot of hype that way as well. I'd be ok with that.

yes if he plays himself into a first round draft choice that would make me happy as ell.

cincrulz11 12-12-2018 09:55 AM

Quote:

he'll have to get there with offense. if it was just offense for Jake he'd still be here.

but Kaiser Gates went pro last year, so i mean who has any idea really.

TheShoeFits 12-12-2018 11:29 AM

Quote:

Bigs:

Brooks for another year
Diarra 3 more years
Elle 2 more years

PG:

Logan 3 more years

Wings:

Cumberland 1 year
Williams 2 more years
Scott 1 more year
Moore 2 more years
Prince 4 more years
Hardnett???

In coming

Curtis wing

If there is ever a time for Mick to bring in a Grad transfer point guard its next season.

Not to say Logon or Jarron couldn't handle the duties because they've both shown in my opinion that they're more than capable but we are losing a lot of ball handling with Jenifer and Cane graduating.

I'd just like to have a pure PG on the roster along with Logan with some experience for insurance purposes.

To help soften the blow in case of foul trouble or an injury.

Helicopter 12-12-2018 12:33 PM

Quote:

Bigs:

Brooks for another year
Diarra 3 more years
Elle 2 more years

PG:

Logan 3 more years

Wings:

Cumberland 1 year
Williams 2 more years
Scott 1 more year
Moore 2 more years
Prince 4 more years
Hardnett???

In coming

Curtis wing

This is how you maintain success. I just wish we could mix in a one and done talent every other year.

cincycpaw 12-12-2018 02:06 PM

Unsure if we'd have any shot at all...but this kid would seem like a great get as a transfer.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...n-transferring

Robert 12-12-2018 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cincycpaw (Post 193363)
Unsure if we'd have any shot at all...but this kid would seem like a great get as a transfer.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...n-transferring

Would he have to sit out all of next year, or could he start playing in games in December since he transferred early? If we could have him eligible for conference play, he would be a huge pickup considering right now we only have one "true" point guard on the roster next season.

AZ BEARCAT 12-31-2018 04:43 PM

11- 2

HAPPY NEW YEARS BEARCAT NATION ! DID YOU EVER THINK OUR BB AND FB WOULD BE 11-2.

Bcatfollower 01-01-2019 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ BEARCAT (Post 193839)
HAPPY NEW YEARS BEARCAT NATION ! DID YOU EVER THINK OUR BB AND FB WOULD BE 11-2.

Definitely a great season for FB. What a turnaround... and a big bowl win.

GarradJ21 01-09-2019 08:33 AM

Samari drops 47 last night. Heard his league isn't great but he still can score. I know he will be running point sometime next year. How will teams stop Keith, Jarron and Samari? If we had an upgrade in bigs, we truly would be one of the best teams in the country.

HarryBosch 01-09-2019 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarradJ21 (Post 194055)
Samari drops 47 last night. Heard his league isn't great but he still can score. I know he will be running point sometime next year. How will teams stop Keith, Jarron and Samari? If we had an upgrade in bigs, we truly would be one of the best teams in the country.

If Mick could recruit worth a shit we would have an upgrade in bigs.

Patrick Bateman 01-09-2019 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarradJ21 (Post 194055)

If other teams were really worried about stopping UC or taking ball out of guards hands, the answer is simple, hack a big, either Eli or Brooks.

Patrick Bateman 01-09-2019 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 (Post 193354)
yes if he plays himself into a first round draft choice that would make me happy as ell.

Recently the first round of the NBA draft is not kind to seniors, was one main reason Jake left and will be reason JC tests this year

tonka 03-22-2019 07:33 PM

I feel bad bringing this up but I think UC needs to tell Fredericks he should look for other opportunities. Prince and Hardnett will be eligible next year and I can’t see how Prince is worse than what Rashawn offered this year. Not to mention we have our entire front court back where hopefully Diarra can get some more minutes. This would hopefully allow us to use another scholarship to go after a shooter that can hit a 3.

I would be ok with looking for a replacement for Moore too but I am still hopeful that he will actually turn in to a legit threat from deep.

I am not sure if it is the culture of the team that Mick has instituted but Moore looks timid when shooting and Rashawn is no where near producing at a D1 level despite being a juco all American.

skyblade 03-22-2019 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarryBosch (Post 194056)
If Mick could recruit worth a shit we would have an upgrade in bigs.

Brooks and Scott were our second and third best players over the final few weeks of the season. Arguably even throughout the year. Their backups were questionable (or non-existent for Scott), but our starting bigs have been quite good.

skyblade 03-22-2019 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonka (Post 196879)
I feel bad bringing this up but I think UC needs to tell Fredericks he should look for other opportunities. Prince and Hardnett will be eligible next year and I can’t see how Prince is worse than what Rashawn offered this year. Not to mention we have our entire front court back where hopefully Diarra can get some more minutes. This would hopefully allow us to use another scholarship to go after a shooter that can hit a 3.

I would be ok with looking for a replacement for Moore too but I am still hopeful that he will actually turn in to a legit threat from deep.

I am not sure if it is the culture of the team that Mick has instituted but Moore looks timid when shooting and Rashawn is no where near producing at a D1 level despite being a juco all American.

We still have one open scholarship, so there is really no reason to force Frederick's out. Mick tends not to treat transfers/Juco's the same as his program seniors either. Frederick's will not be guaranteed any playing time. Maybe he can make a jump and earn it next year, but otherwise he will just be another guy on the bench.

TheRealUC 03-22-2019 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyblade (Post 196884)
We still have one open scholarship, so there is really no reason to force Frederick's out. Mick tends not to treat transfers/Juco's the same as his program seniors either. Frederick's will not be guaranteed any playing time. Maybe he can make a jump and earn it next year, but otherwise he will just be another guy on the bench.

If Moore plans on having another year like this year, i'd much rather have Frederick's. He he had decent stretches to end the season. Trevor was literally nothing "Moore" than 2 extra sneakers on the court for 95% of the season.

tonka 03-22-2019 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyblade (Post 196884)

Right. But why not bring in a guy who will actually contribute and bring something different?

skyblade 03-22-2019 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonka (Post 196887)
Right. But why not bring in a guy who will actually contribute and bring something different?

We are going to have 4 seniors, 3 juniors, two sophomores (one of whom is a redshirt sophomore), two redshirt freshmen and Curtis who is Ohio Mr. Basketball. There's not a whole lot of room left for a freshman to contribute. Curtis and our redshirt freshmen will likely have trouble getting on the court. It's unlikely Cronin will find one more recruit who will contribute more then Fredericks, much less two more.

TheRealUC 03-23-2019 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyblade (Post 196888)
We are going to have 4 seniors, 3 juniors, two sophomores (one of whom is a redshirt sophomore), two redshirt freshmen and Curtis who is Ohio Mr. Basketball. There's not a whole lot of room left for a freshman to contribute. Curtis and our redshirt freshmen will likely have trouble getting on the court. It's unlikely Cronin will find one more recruit who will contribute more then Fredericks, much less two more.

Curtis is gonna have trouble seeing the court? Doubtful

mdchick 03-23-2019 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyblade (Post 196888)

Logan Johnson is our only pg on our roster, someone is going to have to back him up, Curtis right now I would think is his back up, then you consider you have 5 guards/ wings maybe 6 if you include fredericks, Curtis will see the floor quite a bit especially if he can score

cincyguy13 03-24-2019 08:50 PM

I think we could be good next year. Brooks really came on at the end of the year. He has to stay on the floor though. I think Logan could make plays, (both good and some bad). Prince and LaQuill both look intriguing. From the limited film I have seen them play, they look to have some ball skills. Anyone know more about them? We will still have question marks, but I think we could be a top 20 team the majority of the year.

If Mamoudou can improve somewhat and play 10-12 minutes next year, that could really help to keep Brooks out of foul trouble.

cincyguy13 03-24-2019 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchick (Post 196902)
Logan Johnson is our only pg on our roster, someone is going to have to back him up, Curtis right now I would think is his back up, then you consider you have 5 guards/ wings maybe 6 if you include fredericks, Curtis will see the floor quite a bit especially if he can score

I think PG is an overrated position. If you have guys that can dribble and make plays, no need for a traditional point guard. Jarron usually brings the ball up in the late game anyway.

CareBat 03-24-2019 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cincyguy13 (Post 197017)
I think PG is an overrated position. If you have guys that can dribble and make plays, no need for a traditional point guard. Jarron usually brings the ball up in the late game anyway.

I mean, I liked our seniors but it'll be nice to have some guards that can guard the 3 next year. It was tough watching kids shoot over top of them.

Jarron himself remains a big liability on closeouts. Trevon improved as the year went on.

waterhead 03-25-2019 09:01 AM

Everything starts with whether or not Cumberland comes back obviously so I will throw in that disclaimer. As long as we have him back (and with the new additions) I think we will be better at 4 out of 5 positions and possibly all 5. No disrespect to Jenifer (who had a great season) or Cane who was very valuable for us over the course of his 2 years.

At center we have Brooks who showed improvement over the course of the year. We will see who comes out of the pile in the back up role between Nsoseme and Diara but everyone has an extra year under the belt. From the rumors out there about Prince I would expect him to come in for all of the back up minutes for Scott and perhaps even at times allowing Scott to play the 5 when Brooks is in foul trouble. No longer will we need to see Moore or Fredericks getting those minutes. With the addition of Prince and Hardnett I think we obviously improve a solid situation from the standpoint of the 4 and 5. I think Prince could see 15 mpg his first full playing year. He just seems like a Cronin wet dream type of player.

I would imagine Curtis is going to give us an upgrade at the wing as well (over Moore and Fredericks). I would expect him to be getting the primary backup minutes on the wing by mid season. I don't think it's a huge ask for someone of his caliber to provide a similar scoring punch as Broome did off the bench this year...which was pedestrian. I fully expect Curtis to be putting in 15 mpg and may come closer to 20. He may even take over for Williams as a starter at some point if Keith looks like he did toward the end of the season. But a lot of this depends on Curtis ability to defend. It will also be interesting to see if (or how much) Cumberland plays PG as that would open up another spot for Curtis to fill on the wing. So I think Curtis is going to have some options that may go beyond just back up minutes. He seems like the type of recruit that will be capable of playing a major role ala Evans and Cumberland did even as frosh.

The big question is what is going to happen at the point and perhaps more specifically Johnson in general. If Cumberland is on point will Johnson be the backup or will we play them together? Will we put Johnson on the wing or Curtis if Cumberland plays point? Honestly, I am VERY high on Johnson however, putting the ball in Cumberland's hands on every possession is probably the route we need to go because of his understanding of the game, scoring, and assist ability and it keeps him from having to be constantly running off screens to get the ball. I love the energy Johnson brings and his defense could help us get back to elite status giving us someone who can play lock down on the perimeter (and rebound). But Johnson does not fit the description we need on the wing very well unless he really works on his shot so he may have to wait another year for starter minutes. We lost 2 senior PG's but we haven't lost any depth at the position really...lol!

We are going to be extremely versatile next year...but as usual we are going to need some shooters to step up to help Cumberland. And quite frankly I think we are going to struggle there a bit (and it may be the only place we struggle). I see Williams around 30%. Johnson probably similar 30% range and I just hope Curtis can make 35%. If we don't see a huge jump from Moore (shooting 3's) in the first 10 games of the year...he may as well ride the pine or find a better situation for himself.

I don't see a lot of minutes for Hardnett, Moore, Fredericks, or Ellie and maybe not Diara depending on his improvement and how good Prince is. Someone has to come out of this group to surprise us though. Would be nice to get 2 of them.

Queens_NYC 03-25-2019 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterhead (Post 197031)
Everything starts with whether or not Cumberland comes back obviously so I will throw in that disclaimer. As long as we have him back (and with the new additions) I think we will be better at 4 out of 5 positions and possibly all 5. No disrespect to Jenifer (who had a great season) or Cane who was very valuable for us over the course of his 2 years.

At center we have Brooks who showed improvement over the course of the year. We will see who comes out of the pile in the back up role between Nsoseme and Diara but everyone has an extra year under the belt. From the rumors out there about Prince I would expect him to come in for all of the back up minutes for Scott and perhaps even at times allowing Scott to play the 5 when Brooks is in foul trouble. No longer will we need to see Moore or Fredericks getting those minutes. With the addition of Prince and Hardnett I think we obviously improve a solid situation from the standpoint of the 4 and 5. I think Prince could see 15 mpg his first full playing year. He just seems like a Cronin wet dream type of player.

I would imagine Curtis is going to give us an upgrade at the wing as well (over Moore and Fredericks). I would expect him to be getting the primary backup minutes on the wing by mid season. I don't think it's a huge ask for someone of his caliber to provide a similar scoring punch as Broome did off the bench this year...which was pedestrian. I fully expect Curtis to be putting in 15 mpg and may come closer to 20. He may even take over for Williams as a starter at some point if Keith looks like he did toward the end of the season. But a lot of this depends on Curtis ability to defend. It will also be interesting to see if (or how much) Cumberland plays PG as that would open up another spot for Curtis to fill on the wing. So I think Curtis is going to have some options that may go beyond just back up minutes. He seems like the type of recruit that will be capable of playing a major role ala Evans and Cumberland did even as frosh.

The big question is what is going to happen at the point and perhaps more specifically Johnson in general. If Cumberland is on point will Johnson be the backup or will we play them together? Will we put Johnson on the wing or Curtis if Cumberland plays point? Honestly, I am VERY high on Johnson however, putting the ball in Cumberland's hands on every possession is probably the route we need to go because of his understanding of the game, scoring, and assist ability and it keeps him from having to be constantly running off screens to get the ball. I love the energy Johnson brings and his defense could help us get back to elite status giving us someone who can play lock down on the perimeter (and rebound). But Johnson does not fit the description we need on the wing very well unless he really works on his shot so he may have to wait another year for starter minutes. We lost 2 senior PG's but we haven't lost any depth at the position really...lol!

We are going to be extremely versatile next year...but as usual we are going to need some shooters to step up to help Cumberland. And quite frankly I think we are going to struggle there a bit (and it may be the only place we struggle). I see Williams around 30%. Johnson probably similar 30% range and I just hope Curtis can make 35%. If we don't see a huge jump from Moore (shooting 3's) in the first 10 games of the year...he may as well ride the pine or find a better situation for himself.

I don't see a lot of minutes for Hardnett, Moore, Fredericks, or Ellie and maybe not Diara depending on his improvement and how good Prince is. Someone has to come out of this group to surprise us though. Would be nice to get 2 of them.

Good analysis. We've thrived off the play of 6 core players for each of the past 3 seasons. With losing Jenifer and Broome, I expect LJ and Curtis to fill in and become part of our "core" next season but I don't think the two of them will be able to fully replace Jenifer and Broome's 47 minutes/game -maybe more like 30-35 minutes/game.

We'll need Moore and a few of the back-up frontcourt players to raise their games if we're going to take that step from top 30 team to top 15 team next season.

cincyalum2014 03-25-2019 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterhead (Post 197031)

Great analysis, as sick as I am of always saying "next year we are going to be better" I think that holds true for next years team though(if Jarron stays). As dumb as it would be to leave because he wont be drafted, I don't think he improves his draft stock at all by coming back. NBA teams are very rarely drafting seniors because they are considered "old" at 22 and 23 years old. They want the one and done guys and a 2nd round draft pick isn't a guaranteed contract. It made sense for Evans to leave because he was a boarder line 1st round pick. In my opinion go get your money. The window to make the NBA is extremely small the older you get so everyone relax b/c this is just my opinion... I think Jarron leaves and doesn't get drafted but gets a G league tryout somewhere.. comparable to Troy Caupain. I think teams will have another year to prepare for Jarron with an entire off season and another 30+ games next year I just don't see him putting up comparable numbers to this year. He had a tremendous year and won us a lot of games but we saw what happened through the month of February when better teams figured out ways to take him out of the game.

As for everyone else I expect Curtis to make a big impact much like Jarron did his freshman year, LOJO steps up and plays big minutes, Prince and Mamado will be the primary bigs off the bench. Thank god Fredricks is gonna be a senior, I don't see him getting more than 7-8 min a game. I think Trevor Moore needs to transfer, he has been such a let down, love his energy and hustles his ass off but he was recruited to be a shooter and yet he is a terrible shooter (except in practice he supposedly lights it up... smh). Hopefully Curtis steals his minutes. As always these are just my opinions.

Queens_NYC 03-25-2019 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 (Post 197033)
Trevor Moore needs to transfer, he has been such a let down, love his energy and hustles his ass off but he was recruited to be a shooter and yet he is a terrible shooter (except in practice he supposedly lights it up... smh). Hopefully Curtis steals his minutes. As always these are just my opinions.

Trevor Moore shot 44% (11/25) from 3 for the month of November his freshman year. Since then he's been a 26.4% 3-point shooter for the rest of his career.

I personally don't want to give up on him. Jenifer seemed like a lost cause after his sophomore year and look how he raised his game.

When you consider how poorly Keith and Fredericks shot the 3 for the latter part of the year, we don't have the luxury of discarding Moore and knowing that equal or better options are in the wings. Curtis hopefully will provide a boost but he's going to be playing the 1/2 for us. Moore will mostly come in as a 3 and sometimes a small ball 4.

Fresh blood isn't always the answer as well. Remember Joe Cremo? Albany grad transfer we were in for last offseason? Averaged 18/game and shot 46% from 3 as a junior. How'd he do this season at Villanova? 4 ppg and 34% from 3. He didn't even play 6 minutes/game over Villanova's Big East tourney run and 2 NCAA tourney games.

waterhead 03-25-2019 10:52 AM

I would really like to avoid the whole "honorary starter" thing going into this season and just play our best players from the start. I think we get into one of these situations if we start Cumberland at PG and we need to come up with a wing to start. That could end up being Moore or Fredericks since Curtis will be a frosh and Logan is not really a wing.

So I am hoping we start Logan at the PG and Cumberland on the wing. Cumberland can move over during the game and allow Curtis to come in.

waterhead 03-25-2019 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Queens_NYC (Post 197034)
Trevor Moore shot 44% (11/25) from 3 for the month of November his freshman year. Since then he's been a 26.4% 3-point shooter for the rest of his career.

I personally don't want to give up on him. Jenifer seemed like a lost cause after his sophomore year and look how he raised his game.

When you consider how poorly Keith and Fredericks shot the 3 for the latter part of the year, we don't have the luxury of discarding Moore and knowing that equal or better options are in the wings. Curtis hopefully will provide a boost but he's going to be playing the 1/2 for us. Moore will mostly come in as a 3 and sometimes a small ball 4.

Fresh blood isn't always the answer as well. Remember Joe Cremo? Albany grad transfer we were in for last offseason? Averaged 18/game and shot 46% from 3 as a junior. How'd he do this season at Villanova? 4 ppg and 34% from 3. He didn't even play 6 minutes/game over Villanova's Big East tourney run and 2 NCAA tourney games.

I agree on Moore. Sometimes you can get over a mental hurdle in the course of a single game. But with players who can get stuck on mental things...he is probably just as likely to revert back. We all know he can shoot the ball but even if he starts to make some...can we ever really rely on him? He has to prove it from the get go next year or there will be little reason to ever insert him into the lineup again. The optimal way to use Moore is to bring him in to see if he can get hot. But this year we had to use him in small lineups as well because we didn't have quality depth at the 4. We won't have to ever do the latter again.

As for Curtis...I don't think he's a sharp shooter either. Teams are going to pack the paint on us. We are going to have to shoot them out of it somehow.

In the past...weight lifting, getting in shape, and training have been a huge focus in the off season and getting ready for the following year. At this point I would almost trade all of that for exclusive 3 point shooting until next season starts...LOL! Every player...every shot...hahaha

cincyalum2014 03-25-2019 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterhead (Post 197036)
I agree on Moore. Sometimes you can get over a mental hurdle in the course of a single game. But with players who can get stuck on mental things...he is probably just as likely to revert back. We all know he can shoot the ball but even if he starts to make some...can we ever really rely on him? He has to prove it from the get go next year or there will be little reason to ever insert him into the lineup again. The optimal way to use Moore is to bring him in to see if he can get hot. But this year we had to use him in small lineups as well because we didn't have quality depth at the 4. We won't have to ever do the latter again.

As for Curtis...I don't think he's a sharp shooter either. Teams are going to pack the paint on us. We are going to have to shoot them out of it somehow.

In the past...weight lifting, getting in shape, and training have been a huge focus in the off season and getting ready for the following year. At this point I would almost trade all of that for exclusive 3 point shooting until next season starts...LOL! Every player...every shot...hahaha

Samari only shot 32.5% from 3 his senior year of HS, 66-203. Being from Dayton I was able to see Samri play when he played against my little brother at Centerville and the small sample size I saw of SC is he takes it to the basket about 70% of the time but will spot up and shoot when needed. The issue is he was by far the best player on the court and could do what ever he wanted so it is hard to gauge what he will realistically bring next year because he wont be shooting the ball 30 times a game.

TheRealMick 03-25-2019 12:21 PM

Over 3pt shooting our returning players need to work on dribbling and just flat out better hands. Got too many players that can't dribble against pressure and can't come down with the ball under contact. Moore probably has worse hands ever, he can't catch the ball or shoot it

waterhead 03-25-2019 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 (Post 197038)
Samari only shot 32.5% from 3 his senior year of HS, 66-203. Being from Dayton I was able to see Samri play when he played against my little brother at Centerville and the small sample size I saw of SC is he takes it to the basket about 70% of the time but will spot up and shoot when needed. The issue is he was by far the best player on the court and could do what ever he wanted so it is hard to gauge what he will realistically bring next year because he wont be shooting the ball 30 times a game.

Yah...that's (the shooting) probably not going to translate well in D1. I guess if he is just doing spot 3 pt shooting he might be able to hold up the %.

It's pretty easy for defenses when all you have to do is find 1 shooter on the court. Jenifer made things twice as hard by giving us a 2nd option. Imagine if we had 3 shooters?

It's (the shooting) going to have to come from Williams, Johnson, or Curtis. Those are very likely going to be the guards in the short rotation outside of Cumberland. That is not a promising shooting bunch!! I guess we can hope Scott helps or one of the other bigs?

waterhead 03-25-2019 12:57 PM

So in terms of 3 point shooting we have Curtis coming in. The rest of our wings/guards we have some data. Not sure on the new bigs of course (Prince & Hardnett) or if Diara will play much. Jenifer is gone and so is Broome.

Curtis 32.5% HS senior year. Likely that % would go down unless he is really good at spot up shooting and didn't get much chance to do that because he was the focal point. 30% would not be good for us.

Williams finished the year 27%...OUCH...but twice as good as last year...LOL!

Fredericks 24%....yikes...awful

Moore 27%....for a shooter...just turrible

LoJo 25%...not good...has more time to fix than Moore or Fredericks

Scott 31%...low volume...but the next best shooter to Jenifer? Broome was at an awful 30% on the year.

Part of me expects Cumberland's numbers (%) to go down as well because I thought he had a very good year from 3. All of this adds up to a shit show in terms of shooting.

Queens_NYC 03-25-2019 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterhead (Post 197041)
Yah...that's (the shooting) probably not going to translate well in D1. I guess if he is just doing spot 3 pt shooting he might be able to hold up the %.

It's pretty easy for defenses when all you have to do is find 1 shooter on the court. Jenifer made things twice as hard by giving us a 2nd option. Imagine if we had 3 shooters?

It's (the shooting) going to have to come from Williams, Johnson, or Curtis. Those are very likely going to be the guards in the short rotation outside of Cumberland. That is not a promising shooting bunch!! I guess we can hope Scott helps or one of the other bigs?

First 19 games: Scott was 2/11 (18.2%) from 3

Last 16 games: Scott was 10/28 (35.8%) from 3

I think Scott can shoot close to that 35% clip again with continued work on his shot in the offseason. That would be a big boost to our offense if he could be a respectable threat from deep.

waterhead 03-25-2019 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Queens_NYC (Post 197043)
First 19 games: Scott was 2/11 (18.2%) from 3

Last 16 games: Scott was 10/28 (35.8%) from 3

I think Scott can shoot close to that 35% clip again with continued work on his shot in the offseason. That would be a big boost to our offense if he could be a respectable threat from deep.

If Scott can keep up that clip...and we can get one more 35% shooter from the main rotation guards...we will be alright. It would also help, and should be expected, that all of our wings/guards improve their %'s. I mean....%'s in the 20's are a rock bottom number. Especially when you consider that most of them are basically wide open looks as they would not otherwise attempt them with guys like Cumberland, and Jenifer on the floor.

Wide open set shooting should be a minimum of 30% and to be honest probably should be closer to 35% plus. Expecting improvements from the supporting cast should not be even close to asking to much.

cincyalum2014 03-25-2019 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterhead (Post 197045)
If Scott can keep up that clip...and we can get one more 35% shooter from the main rotation guards...we will be alright. It would also help, and should be expected, that all of our wings/guards improve their %'s. I mean....%'s in the 20's are a rock bottom number. Especially when you consider that most of them are basically wide open looks as they would not otherwise attempt them with guys like Cumberland, and Jenifer on the floor.

Wide open set shooting should be a minimum of 30% and to be honest probably should be closer to 35% plus. Expecting improvements from the supporting cast should not be even close to asking to much.

Trevor Moore his missed more wide open 3's than any other college player I have even seen. Like literally wide open, not a defender within ft of him. He reminds me of Quadri Moore, everyone holds there breath when they shoot and than laughs and makes a joke when they finally make one.

Alum2013 03-25-2019 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterhead (Post 197045)

In today's game a wide open 3 at 35% is not good at all. 5-10 years ago you take that but now that has to be close to 40+%. Overall you may shoot 35% but if that's what your wide open looks are, that's bad.

Alum2013 03-25-2019 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 (Post 197047)
Trevor Moore his missed more wide open 3's than any other college player I have even seen. Like literally wide open, not a defender within ft of him. He reminds me of Quadri Moore, everyone holds there breath when they shoot and than laughs and makes a joke when they finally make one.

But he's the best shooter Mick has ever seen in his entire life.