BearcatTalk.com

BearcatTalk.com (https://www.bearcattalk.com/index.php)
-   Bearcat Basketball (https://www.bearcattalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   2019 surprise unknowns? (https://www.bearcattalk.com/showthread.php?t=12349)

waterhead 06-25-2019 09:16 AM

2019 surprise unknowns?

I think we know a lot about Cumberland x 2, Scott, and Williams. Vogt is sitting a year and we have Saunders for 2020. Harvey still up in the air. Who are you looking forward to seeing play the most? I am trying to start a new thread here so everything isn't just piled up under one all encompassing thread.

We have Diara and Gillam as holdovers from previous roster. Both seem to factor in more now that Hardnett is likely out...his small amount of minutes will go somewhere. They could be two best options of the unknowns but it's far from settled because we don't know much.

MAW and Davenport as frosh. Will we redshirt or can either or both of these guys offer enough to keep them active? Davenport is intriguing because of his height and the loss of Hardnett although he's not a strong body in the paint type. MAW has some ball skills and can help us push pace if McNeal isn't as effective as we need.

Sorolla and McNeal as transfers. Do either of these guys get your gears pumping? Sorolla seems to be an "is who he is" type of guy. McNeal seems a bit more questionable as to what level of quality he will offer. Can either move the needle and be a plus player?

If we get Harvey it stands to reason there will be some excitement about his game and how it will affect the roster.

Helicopter 06-25-2019 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterhead (Post 200476)
I think we know a lot about Cumberland x 2, Scott, and Williams. Vogt is sitting a year and we have Saunders for 2020. Harvey still up in the air. Who are you looking forward to seeing play the most? I am trying to start a new thread here so everything isn't just piled up under one all encompassing thread.

We have Diara and Gillam as holdovers from previous roster. Both seem to factor in more now that Hardnett is likely out...his small amount of minutes will go somewhere. They could be two best options of the unknowns but it's far from settled because we don't know much.

MAW and Davenport as frosh. Will we redshirt or can either or both of these guys offer enough to keep them active? Davenport is intriguing because of his height and the loss of Hardnett although he's not a strong body in the paint type. MAW has some ball skills and can help us push pace if McNeal isn't as effective as we need.

Sorolla and McNeal as transfers. Do either of these guys get your gears pumping? Sorolla seems to be an "is who he is" type of guy. McNeal seems a bit more questionable as to what level of quality he will offer. Can either move the needle and be a plus player?

If we get Harvey it stands to reason there will be some excitement about his game and how it will affect the roster.

I'm super excited for Jaevin and Toyambi (as far as new guys). Distant third is Davenport (might be still a year away).

TheRealMick 06-25-2019 01:33 PM

McNeal and diara

skyblade 06-25-2019 01:37 PM

I'd say Prince and Diarra, maybe Moore. I think McNeal and Sorolla are probably at best 20 minute a night guys and at worst a liability when on the court.

If Moore can start hitting threes he's ready to make a big leap. He has the size to play as the 4 in small lineups, which could give him a lot of playing time.

Prince and Diarra seem like they are going to be thrust into playing time whether they are ready or not. So I'm hoping to see good things from them.

Loser Mentality 06-25-2019 02:04 PM

2019 Surprise unknowns? Everyone on the roster. Why??? New Coach, new System, new expectations.

If the energy is half as good as the recruiting energy, this may be a fun season.

TheRealMick 06-25-2019 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyblade (Post 200491)
I'd say Prince and Diarra, maybe Moore. I think McNeal and Sorolla are probably at best 20 minute a night guys and at worst a liability when on the court.

If Moore can start hitting threes he's ready to make a big leap. He has the size to play as the 4 in small lineups, which could give him a lot of playing time.

Prince and Diarra seem like they are going to be thrust into playing time whether they are ready or not. So I'm hoping to see good things from them.

I love the way McNeal isn't afraid to fail. He couldn't played for mick because he isn't scared to play. Mick coached like a God or something, if you didn't call him DADDY you couldn't play. McNeal, has top 3 talent on team if he figures it out.

sirthought 06-25-2019 03:29 PM

Big story lines would be seeing great improvement from Diarra and Moore.

That a coaching change would allow these two to grow from benchwarmers to team contributors would be a huge positive sign for the future.

Diarra didn't get enough time on the floor to work himself out of making mistakes. He needs to play more to figure it out.

And while Moore has been kind of disappointing and not enough of a factor, I keep thinking there is a beast in there just waiting for his confidence to bubble up.

This is me being positive with what we've got.

CaptDale 06-25-2019 03:48 PM

I haven't been on in awhile, but you guys who keep expecting something from Moore are dreamers. He finally got Cronin's defense figured out, but Cronin is gone. He hasn't proven anything offensively. I'm in the corner with TheRealMick. He's just taking up space.

mdchick 06-25-2019 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptDale (Post 200495)
I haven't been on in awhile, but you guys who keep expecting something from Moore are dreamers. He finally got Cronin's defense figured out, but Cronin is gone. He hasn't proven anything offensively. I'm in the corner with TheRealMick. He's just taking up space.

The thing with college sports is you look at the players and they are just kids, you want to see everyone do good, that being said Moore has not measured up to my expectations thus far. He’s put in some good work this offseason, I hope he has improved he is a really good kid probably my favorite personality on the team, but you have to produce

CaptDale 06-25-2019 04:29 PM

My point exactly. Being a nice guy doesn't make you good.