BearcatTalk.com

BearcatTalk.com (https://www.bearcattalk.com/index.php)
-   Bearcat Basketball (https://www.bearcattalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Anyone Else Worried??? (https://www.bearcattalk.com/showthread.php?t=12355)

jbreeds1 07-02-2019 10:17 AM

Anyone Else Worried???

I have a hard time believing that the Big East is done expanding. Anyone else think they'll try to poach from the AAC? Wichita State seems pretty appealing and would be a great addition to their conference.
We need to make leaving harder. Up the exit fees. Do something. Aresco needs to be ahead of the next move. Don't sit there and bang your chest about a decent deal with ESPN. Keep moving forward. I feel like we're the only conference who doesn't think ahead. We just react. It's embarrassing...

AZ BEARCAT 07-02-2019 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbreeds1 (Post 200702)
I have a hard time believing that the Big East is done expanding. Anyone else think they'll try to poach from the AAC? Wichita State seems pretty appealing and would be a great addition to their conference.
We need to make leaving harder. Up the exit fees. Do something. Aresco needs to be ahead of the next move. Don't sit there and bang your chest about a decent deal with ESPN. Keep moving forward. I feel like we're the only conference who doesn't think ahead. We just react. It's embarrassing...

Not worried about the big east, They can have UCONN, and please take East Carolina. Tulsa and Tulane.

Helicopter 07-02-2019 11:28 AM

Quote:

Let's not act like we intend to be in this conference for another 10 years. 2022 we will announce we are leaving for ACC or B12.

Bearcats1232002 07-02-2019 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helicopter (Post 200705)
Let's not act like we intend to be in this conference for another 10 years. 2022 we will announce we are leaving for ACC or B12.

We hope.

Bearcats1232002 07-02-2019 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ BEARCAT (Post 200703)
Not worried about the big east, They can have UCONN, and please take East Carolina. Tulsa and Tulane.

Losing Uconn was a loss. It wasn't a crippling death blow but I think they will get better under Hurley.

The Big East wouldn't take Tulsa, Tulane or East Carolina.

cincyguy13 07-02-2019 12:32 PM

Quote:

The conference did add Wichita 2 years ago. That was a good get. The conference is in a tricky spot. Teams with football can’t really go anywhere except to a P5. I also don’t want them to add another team just to have another team. We already have 3-4 garbage teams at the bottom.

jbreeds1 07-02-2019 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cincyguy13 (Post 200712)
The conference did add Wichita 2 years ago. That was a good get. The conference is in a tricky spot. Teams with football can’t really go anywhere except to a P5. I also don’t want them to add another team just to have another team. We already have 3-4 garbage teams at the bottom.

Dayton or VCU would both provide value to this conference. More than most. I think it's a mistake to sit back and wait for another move to happen. UConn may have sucked for the past 5 years, but they are a state school with a very rich basketball tradition. Let's get past the whole "who cares?" sentiment. It's a loss for our conference. Time to move forward, not stay the same and hope nothing else bad happens.

We aren't a big, mighty conference who can throw money at schools to lure them here. Time to think outside of the box. Or else this conference will die if/when we or another big program decides to jump ship.

We have leverage in this conference. Bohn or someone needs to push the needle or else we'll just remain a conference for misfit toys.

waterhead 07-02-2019 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helicopter (Post 200705)

I think this outlook depends on the idea that everything is still trending towards the power conferences. I have read some interesting input about the big tech companies like Netflix, Amazon, Apple, Google, etc to think those entities will be bidding on teams not conferences. In other words they will be bidding on OSU and Mich and not Rutgers or Northwestern. That could break up the power conference deals. Perhaps the conferences try to thwart big tech from doing this but I'm not sure Alabama or OSU are going to turn down the bigger payouts by going it alone. It's the Power conference bottom feeders that will want to hold it all together.

We have to be looking at both avenues because big tech will likely have more money to throw around. UC could end up with a decent single team package deal if big tech wins out over the Power conference deals. In either scenario UC has to be a money maker of course. If we can continue to keep pace in football and basketball we have a very good shot in either scenario but I think the single team deal might be our best option.

itsamemario 07-02-2019 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbreeds1 (Post 200714)
Dayton or VCU would both provide value to this conference. More than most. I think it's a mistake to sit back and wait for another move to happen. UConn may have sucked for the past 5 years, but they are a state school with a very rich basketball tradition. Let's get past the whole "who cares?" sentiment. It's a loss for our conference. Time to move forward, not stay the same and hope nothing else bad happens.

We aren't a big, mighty conference who can throw money at schools to lure them here. Time to think outside of the box. Or else this conference will die if/when we or another big program decides to jump ship.

We have leverage in this conference. Bohn or someone needs to push the needle or else we'll just remain a conference for misfit toys.

no thanks, But also, why do we have to add anyone? We just added Wichita as a basketball only and just lost Uconn...a basketball only. It all evens out, we just get 1 less buy football game

cincyguy13 07-02-2019 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbreeds1 (Post 200714)

Like I said, they just added Wichita 2 years ago. I’m sure they are considering their options. I think they want a football school though and there just aren’t many of them.

I agree with you, would take vcu or Dayton for basketball. I wish we played Dayton every year anyway. I would also consider saint louis.