BearcatTalk.com

BearcatTalk.com (https://www.bearcattalk.com/index.php)
-   Bearcat Basketball (https://www.bearcattalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   2017-2018 Season (https://www.bearcattalk.com/showthread.php?t=11568)

HExus 02-06-2017 12:26 AM

2017-2018 Season

I really like this years team. But am I the only one that thinks this team is only going to get better through the end of this year and even more so into next year. The only big loss they take is Caupain. They are adding 3 kids that look promising, and I really like the young guys that are already starting to develop like Cumberland.

I don't think we lose much honestly. The offense is only getting better, as well as the depth. D has been great. It looks to improve as well, however.

I'm really liking what im seeing from Brooks in the short min hes seeing. He has a ways to go, but he is going to be a force on D.

I think we will have the option to play a big or small line up next year with him. We have been running a lot of 3 guard play the last few years. I think we will have more versatility next year. He would be leading the team in blocks right now if he got the same min as the starters. He just needs to Keep improving, and he can be huge for us. He already looks to be an impact in the lane.

Both the front and back courts look solid going into next year. I can't really see a weakness.

Depending on how this year finishes I could see them starting out as a high seed out the gate next year. 10 or higher, maybe more......

Preseason means nothing of course, but its just a sign that they have made it back to "pre Huggins break up" expectations. Probably the best team in Clifton since the 2000 or 2003 teams.

Anyone agree?

Queens_NYC 02-06-2017 05:49 AM

If everyone returns (which seems likely at this point) then I agree, we are due for another big year. A starting 5 of Broome, Evans,Cumberland, Clark, and Washington may be our most potent in ages.

I'm interested in seeing how Jenifer fits into the rotation next year and how often we go small with him and Broome on the floor.

A healthy/more physical Quadri Moore could be an X factor next season as well.

NKY Bearcat 02-06-2017 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Queens_NYC (Post 160221)
A healthy/more physical Quadri Moore could be an X factor next season as well.

No.

Quadri Moore will continue to be the waste of a scholarship he currently is. Lets not pretend that he will suddenly learn how to play anything that resembles defense.

CPAW29 02-06-2017 07:19 AM

It gets more interesting if David Collins commits

WAITE HOYT 2 02-06-2017 08:14 AM

Losing Troy will hurt. He plays 30 minutes or more every game and his T/O ratio is one of the best in the country. Broome will need to take care of the ball. He has had problems with that at Scared Heart. Having him practicing with the team now will certainly help that but until you do it in the games......

HoosierCat 02-06-2017 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CPAW29 (Post 160223)
It gets more interesting if David Collins commits

If Collins commits, I think Moore red shirts.

coachpipe 02-06-2017 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 (Post 160231)
Losing Troy will hurt. He plays 30 minutes or more every game and his T/O ratio is one of the best in the country. Broome will need to take care of the ball. He has had problems with that at Scared Heart. Having him practicing with the team now will certainly help that but until you do it in the games......

Also helps going against one of the nations best defenses every day in practice

justinhub2003 02-06-2017 09:11 AM

Next Year's roster is gonna be pretty awesome. We will just need someone to step up as our closer (I vote Evans)

Starting lineup:
PG: Cane Broome 6'0 JR
SG: Jarron Cumberland 6'5 Soph
SF: Jacob Evans 6'6 JR
PF: Gary Clark 6'8 SR
PF: Kyle Washinton 6'9 SR

Bench:
G Justin Jenifer 5'10 JR
F Quadri Moore 6'8 SR
F Nysier Brooks 6'11 Soph
F Tre Scott 6'8 Soph
G/F Keith Williams Fresh 6'5
G Trevor Moore Fresh 6'5
F Eliel Nsoseme Fresh 6'9

We have 12 guys as it is right now. Im guessing Keith will back up both Jarron and Evans.

Emperor Snapper 02-06-2017 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justinhub2003 (Post 160239)
Next Year's roster is gonna be pretty awesome. We will just need someone to step up as our closer (I vote Evans)

Starting lineup:
PG: Cane Broome 6'0 JR
SG: Jarron Cumberland 6'5 Soph
SF: Jacob Evans 6'6 JR
PF: Gary Clark 6'8 SR
PF: Kyle Washinton 6'9 SR

Bench:
G Justin Jenifer 5'10 JR
F Quadri Moore 6'8 SR
F Nysier Brooks 6'11 Soph
F Tre Scott 6'8 Soph
G/F Keith Williams Fresh 6'5
G Trevor Moore Fresh 6'5
F Eliel Nsoseme Fresh 6'9

We have 12 guys as it is right now. Im guessing Keith will back up both Jarron and Evans.

Yes, the current bench rotation is about 25-30 "big man" minutes shared by Brooks & Scott (when healthy). That will likely stay the same. About 20-25 "wing" minutes, mostly Cumberland now, will likely go mostly to Williams. 10 or so PG minutes - mostly Jenifer this season. My guess is that he remains the #2 PG, but gets more burn. Nsoseme seems like an obvious redshirt candidate with 5 experienced bigs sharing 2 spots. Moore might get some of the wing minutes, but another commit might make him a RS candidate as well.

Emperor Snapper 02-06-2017 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 (Post 160231)

I agree. A lot of people are excited for Broome, and for good reason. He brings things Caupain cannot - faster pace, more dribble penetration (something this team really needs). I would love to see them run some pick and roll/pick and pop action - both bigs can catch the ball & would be dangerous rolling to the hoop; they can also both shoot and would be dangerous if left open on the pop. They could run 1-3 PnR with Cumberland or Evans as well. The only thing stopping them now is that Caupain is not quick enough to be effective as the ball handler on the PnR.

All that said, Caupain is super, super solid with the ball in his hands. He doesn't turn it over, he makes few terrible choices, and he has a great sense for the game - he knows when to shoot more, when to pass more, and never gets out of control. Those things seem like a given because he is so good at them, but I guarantee there will be moment next year when we miss them.