BearcatTalk.com

BearcatTalk.com (https://www.bearcattalk.com/index.php)
-   Bearcat Basketball (https://www.bearcattalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Future teams (https://www.bearcattalk.com/showthread.php?t=12191)

Helicopter 06-03-2019 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedziobs (Post 199952)
Class: 2020 2021 2022 2023

Cumberland
Cumberland
Scott
McNeal
Sorolla

Williams
Moore

Diarra
Vogt

Gillam
Hardnett
Davenport
Adams-Woods

My man. Font is nice touch, too.

Not to get too far ahead of myself but next year's team is going to be a major wildcard. Need to see what kind of players Toyambi and Davenport can be.

TheRealMick 06-03-2019 05:41 PM

We haven't had this much length and size on wing since Huggins days. This is something that has killed us over years. Rashad bishop and Shaq are only two true SF in Cronin era. This year we have 3 on this year team alone, Prince, hardnett, Davenport. I don't consider Keith to be true SF. We can have all 6'5 or better players on court if we wanted.

skyblade 06-03-2019 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 (Post 199956)
Man what a crazy couple of days. With the Jaevin commit, I think we are going to rely on about 7 players....
Jarron, Jaevin, Keith, Tre, Diarra, Sorolla and McNeal.

I am sure JB discussed with McNeal the possibility of Jaevin coming here too. This is his 5th year at a 5th different school so I am assuming he is expecting to play quite a bit. Sorolla will have to play to spell Tre and Diarra.

The lineup could even be 2 guards, 2 wings and Tre Scott based on what JB likes to run, fast paced run and gun and full court press.

The rest of the team such as Moore, Prince, Laquill, and Adams-Woods will play sparingly

I think Davenport may redshirt if I had to guess. Just not enough minutes to go around and we will be loaded at the wing this year.

Lets be real JB is not going to play 13 guys in a game, not sure if this may hurt the feelings of some of the Cronin guys such as Prince, Laquill and Moore. But either way I am ready to ride with this team against anyone on our schedule this year. I don't think any team we will play is going to be substantially better than us (maybe Memphis, but lets just see how 5 freshman play together before I make that decision)

Honestly if Hardnett/Prince can't beat out Sorolla, they deserve to have their feelings hurt. I don't get what people see in Sorolla that makes it look like he can get many minutes. He was Valpo's backup big man for a reason, at 7'1" he had a worse offensive rebound percentage than LoJo. He's a situational backup vs teams with a true 5.

I also don't see it for McNeal. Moore is at least said to be a great practice shooter. McNeal is a poor 3-point shooter and so far nothing about him shooting well in practices either. MAW looks like a much better 3 point shooter then McNeal.

I agree with the starting 5, but after that I disagree completely. I think we go 8/9 deep. Moore and whoever plays best out of Davenport/Hardnett/Prince will be the 6th and 7th man. McNeal will get 5-10 minutes per game as the PG and maybe spot minutes at other positions. Sorolla gets 5-10 minutes per game as center (maybe 15-20 against teams with a true big) but may not even play in some games. Prince/Hardnett/Davenport could combine for 30/40 minutes per game as they backup at Center, PF and SF (if Davenport is behind the other two he may redshirt).

Mcginnjw 06-03-2019 05:53 PM

I think we now have a better roster than what we were potentially going to enter the season with. Now the question is can they adapt to the new system fast enough. If they click quickly we could have an extremely fun team to watch. Either way all the recruiting activity has been fun and the Cumberland signing was a great cap to the 2019 roster.

Vanhoop 06-03-2019 06:01 PM

I don't know you need somebody to run the point. I think macneal could get a lot more time than everyone's thinking.

JoeRunner89 06-03-2019 06:23 PM

Well well well, thanks goodness we picked up Cumberland #2. Might of just saved the season. Now we have a fighters chance to get this new era off to a good start. Let's hope Kieth and Tre have a power off-season and we should be back in business

TheRealMick 06-03-2019 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanhoop (Post 199971)
I don't know you need somebody to run the point. I think macneal could get a lot more time than everyone's thinking.

All our guards outside of Moore should see 20+ min. Neither Cumberland has to play PG now if we don't won't them to.

skyblade 06-03-2019 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanhoop (Post 199971)

I can't see it. You want your best players on the floor. Say you have McNeal starting at point, that means we'd need to have JC/JC at SG/SF, Williams at PF and Scott at center. That is an extremely undersized lineup. If you don't like that lineup and want McNeal to start, who do you sit to put Diarra in at center? Williams? Jaevin?

If you start Jarron, Jaevin, Williams, Scott and Diarra, there are a lot of ball handlers on the floor. Scott's handle improved throughout last season and should continue to get better. Jarron, Jaevin and even Williams can share duties bring the ball up the court, then let Jarron initiate the offense - which he did a lot last year anyway.

z_bearcat 06-03-2019 07:26 PM

Jarron, Jaevin and Williams are three players competing for two spots on the roster. If Brannen plans an up-tempo and running style of play, those three guys can substitute for each other and stay fresh all game long. Perhaps that is the plan for them.

TheLongHaul 06-03-2019 07:29 PM

I'd argue JC ran point in most of the critical situations last year. I don't see this year being any different. Jarron, Trevon, and KW are your shoe-ins to start. The other two positions are up in the air.