BearcatTalk.com

BearcatTalk.com (https://www.bearcattalk.com/index.php)
-   Bearcat Basketball (https://www.bearcattalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Future teams (https://www.bearcattalk.com/showthread.php?t=12191)

juckerrules 04-07-2019 06:53 AM

These few lines, lifted from AP recap of Texas Tech/Michigan State summarizes all I need to know about whether UC should chase grad transfers or not:

While the Red Raiders were locking down Michigan State on one end, the graduate transfer shooting guard was raining in 3s on the other, lifting Tech one win away from a title Saturday night with a 61-51 victory over the Spartans in the Final Four.

z_bearcat 04-07-2019 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juckerrules (Post 197431)
These few lines, lifted from AP recap of Texas Tech/Michigan State summarizes all I need to know about whether UC should chase grad transfers or not:

While the Red Raiders were locking down Michigan State on one end, the graduate transfer shooting guard was raining in 3s on the other, lifting Tech one win away from a title Saturday night with a 61-51 victory over the Spartans in the Final Four.

Amen, brother. Preach!!

cincycpaw 04-07-2019 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juckerrules (Post 197431)

Yup. Grad transfer are the new JUCO. Providing specific skills that teams are missing AND bringing in even more experience.

Queens_NYC 04-07-2019 08:46 AM

Texas Tech lost 6 of their top 8 players from last season. Of course, they were going to be an attractive option for grad transfers last offseason as would any other school that experienced major attrition.

Yes, in an ideal world we maximize our scholarships each year to put together the most competitive roster possible to maximize our winning potential. But with a roster that is currently planning on having 12 healthy/eligible scholarship bodies next season I think it's pretty easy to understand why our coaching staff is not actively recruiting grad transfers and why none of the top options at the moment are considering us. If there were a greater chance that Cumberland bolts then I'd be all for filling his spot with a grad transfer.

I think it makes more sense to recruit a sit-out option who can fill in for Cumberland in 20-21.

Bcatfollower 04-07-2019 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Queens_NYC (Post 197435)
Texas Tech lost 6 of their top 8 players from last season. Of course, they were going to be an attractive option for grad transfers last offseason as would any other school that experienced major attrition.

Yes, in an ideal world we maximize our scholarships each year to put together the most competitive roster possible to maximize our winning potential. But with a roster that is currently planning on having 12 healthy/eligible scholarship bodies next season I think it's pretty easy to understand why our coaching staff is not actively recruiting grad transfers and why none of the top options at the moment are considering us. If there were a greater chance that Cumberland bolts then I'd be all for filling his spot with a grad transfer.

I think it makes more sense to recruit a sit-out option who can fill in for Cumberland in 20-21.

Who cares who you have coming back if the grad transfer is a significant upgrade. Makes no sense not to pursue them if they can make your team better; if they take a current players minutes then so be it... it’s all about competition and no ones role should ever be guaranteed

Queens_NYC 04-07-2019 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bcatfollower (Post 197436)
Who cares who you have coming back if the grad transfer is a significant upgrade. Makes no sense not to pursue them if they can make your team better; if they take a current players minutes then so be it... it’s all about competition and no ones role should ever be guaranteed

Again, there goes the sentiment that grad transfers who are capable at the high major level are a dime a dozen.

Let's take a look at grad transfers that played in the AAC this past season and how they fared.

Tarin Smith - UConn

17-18 (Duquesne): 12.4 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 3.2 apg, 33.3% 3FG
18-19: 8.0 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 2.4 apg, 23% 3FG

Nat Dixon - SMU

17-18 (Chattanooga): 13.8 ppg, 4.9 rpg, 39.5 3FG
18-19: 5.0 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 32.6% 3FG

Landon Goesling - Houston

17-18 (St. Edwards - D2): 22.9 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 3.0 apg 38.4% 3FG
18-19: 18 games, 2.7 ppg, 10% (2-20) 3 FG

Kassoum Yakwe - UConn

17-18 (St. John's): 24 games, 2.2 ppg, 2.1 rpg
18-19: 13 games, 1.8 ppg, 2.4 rpg

You could make a half argument for Smith, but otherwise there was not a single grad transfer in the league last year who made their team better.

Bcatfollower 04-07-2019 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Queens_NYC (Post 197437)
Again, there goes the sentiment that grad transfers who are capable at the high major level are a dime a dozen.

Let's take a look at grad transfers that played in the AAC this past season and how they fared.

Tarin Smith - UConn

17-18 (Duquesne): 12.4 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 3.2 apg, 33.3% 3FG
18-19: 8.0 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 2.4 apg, 23% 3FG

Nat Dixon - SMU

17-18 (Chattanooga): 13.8 ppg, 4.9 rpg, 39.5 3FG
18-19: 5.0 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 32.6% 3FG

Landon Goesling - Houston

17-18 (St. Edwards - D2): 22.9 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 3.0 apg 38.4% 3FG
18-19: 18 games, 2.7 ppg, 10% (2-20) 3 FG

Kassoum Yakwe - UConn

17-18 (St. John's): 24 games, 2.2 ppg, 2.1 rpg
18-19: 13 games, 1.8 ppg, 2.4 rpg

You could make a half argument for Smith, but otherwise there was not a single grad transfer in the league last year who made their team better.

Why would grad transfers want to play on teams that don’t have a good chance of making the tourney. I think you take it on a case by case basis, however to never consider grad transfers is stupid. Now mick probably does try but his loyalty to players who put their time in regardless of results probably turns players off

Queens_NYC 04-07-2019 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bcatfollower (Post 197439)
Why would grad transfers want to play on teams that don’t have a good chance of making the tourney. I think you take it on a case by case basis, however to never consider grad transfers is stupid. Now mick probably does try but his loyalty to players who put their time in regardless of results probably turns players off

What does that have anything to do with my previous post?

I agree that grad transfers should be considered on a case by case basis, and my argument is that with the current make-up of the 19-20 team, it makes more sense to me to pursue a sit-out transfer with our last scholarship who will contribute in 20-21, than a grad transfer (in a more diluted pool) who would be expected to contribute next season.

I know the main (and what seems to be the only) argument against that approach is that Moore, Fredericks, and Williams shot the 3 poorly this past season, particularly towards the end, and that next year's team will have a major outside shooting deficiency unless we bring an additional player to resolve that issue.

I personally don't believe that is the solution. I want us to focus on developing our own guys. I have faith in our own players before I do a low-mid major one-year rental who may fall short in a number of areas that are meaningful to the team.

It's a philosophical difference but I believe it's one that's best for next year's group.

juckerrules 04-07-2019 08:17 PM

Hell, the women have caught on as well...just watched a great NC game as Baylor beat Norte Dame behind the game’s outstanding player, GRAD TRANSFER Chloe Jackson’s 26 pts.

Queens_NYC 04-09-2019 11:41 AM

Well with Cronin out the door and what I'm guessing will be several players to follow, let's start talking about grad transfers again lol.