BearcatTalk.com

BearcatTalk.com (https://www.bearcattalk.com/index.php)
-   Bearcat Basketball (https://www.bearcattalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Future teams (https://www.bearcattalk.com/showthread.php?t=12191)

skyblade 05-16-2019 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 (Post 199370)
I feel like Samari was kind of made out to be a bad guy because of circumstances that were out of his control. Do I think Nebraska is a better basketball school than UC.... Hell no, but they got a high profile coach in a power 5 conference and they have actually recruited some guys who can play for next year. I would say I am bitter he didn't come to UC but take my fandom aside I don't think SC made a terrible choice.

And lets be honest, currently Nebraska looks like they may be better then UC next year. We are relying on an unproven coach and the hope that we get the Cumberland cousins to even be competitive. Even if we get them our depth will be close to non-existent and our starting center could be a major liability.

Brannen has to do major work in the grad-transfer and/or JUCO market for us to be good next year and he's running out of time.

cincyalum2014 05-16-2019 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyblade (Post 199371)
And lets be honest, currently Nebraska looks like they may be better then UC next year. We are relying on an unproven coach and the hope that we get the Cumberland cousins to even be competitive. Even if we get them our depth will be close to non-existent and our starting center could be a major liability.

Brannen has to do major work in the grad-transfer and/or JUCO market for us to be good next year and he's running out of time.

Oh I would absolutely agree with that, Hoiberg is a good coach regardless of his struggles with the bulls. Since he has taken Nebraska over he has been cleaning up the transfer and juco market and I think Samari was just the icing on the cake.

JB defiantly has his work cut out for him. He had 5 weeks to recruit Curtis to stay and I guess they both felt it was best to go different ways so we will see how it plays out long term. But a lot can happen from now until November so I will remain optimistic JB can land some decent players.

waterhead 05-16-2019 08:18 AM

Quote:

If....IF...we get the Cumberlands we should be just fine on depth. I am sure we will add one or two more guys. But last year we were basically 6 deep at the end of the year. So

Cumberland
Cumberland
Williams
Scott

That would be a good starting point with 4 quality players. Then we have to hope someone can play reasonably well between Diara, Gillam, Hardnett, or Davenport as our 2nd big. Then we need to sign another guard preferably one who can handle some point duties. If we do those things we will have 6 deep. That doesn't count Moore either who could have his light come on who knows.

If we don't get the Cumberlands (or say JC and Bolton)...then yes we are building for the future for sure.

cincyguy13 05-16-2019 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchick (Post 199366)
Lojo transferring hurts as far as transfers go, I like Sam Martin but...

I agree. I think Lojo will be a good playerin the future but I think he is a year away from being a good player. He is also a long way from home, with a coach he doesn't know, so I don't blame him. I was not surprised by it.

cincyguy13 05-16-2019 08:56 AM

Quote:

I agree. Nebraska is a better situation than I imagined he would end up at. Big school with a good coach. Not sure how good Curtis is but Hoiberg will maximize his potential.

skyblade 05-16-2019 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterhead (Post 199373)
If....IF...we get the Cumberlands we should be just fine on depth. I am sure we will add one or two more guys. But last year we were basically 6 deep at the end of the year. So

Cumberland
Cumberland
Williams
Scott

That would be a good starting point with 4 quality players. Then we have to hope someone can play reasonably well between Diara, Gillam, Hardnett, or Davenport as our 2nd big. Then we need to sign another guard preferably one who can handle some point duties. If we do those things we will have 6 deep. That doesn't count Moore either who could have his light come on who knows.

If we don't get the Cumberlands (or say JC and Bolton)...then yes we are building for the future for sure.

Then someone gets hurt or one of the inexperienced guys gets into foul trouble and we are screwed. Teams tend to shrink rotations late in the year, but relying on playing 6-deep all year is a recipe for disaster. We need at least 7 are preferably 8-9 guys who can give some minutes, especially if Brannen intends to run and press as he's said he does. The slow game of Mick gave guys more opportunity to rest while playing, an up-and-done the court game is going to show depth issues more clearly.

Diarra is the only thing close to a true center we've got on the team now and even he is more in the PF mold. If we face a team with a true big that can push players around inside we are in big trouble. Gillam and Davenport are more SF's then PF's and even Gillam is a bit undersized for PF.

Hopefully Brannen will add more players. And I know it sounds weird, but he needs to keep Moore here to, just so we have some veteran depth. At minimum we need to add a center and a pg who can provide quality minutes.

cincyguy13 05-16-2019 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyblade (Post 199376)
Then someone gets hurt or one of the inexperienced guys gets into foul trouble and we are screwed. Teams tend to shrink rotations late in the year, but relying on playing 6-deep all year is a recipe for disaster. We need at least 7 are preferably 8-9 guys who can give some minutes, especially if Brannen intends to run and press as he's said he does. The slow game of Mick gave guys more opportunity to rest while playing, an up-and-done the court game is going to show depth issues more clearly.

Diarra is the only thing close to a true center we've got on the team now and even he is more in the PF mold. If we face a team with a true big that can push players around inside we are in big trouble. Gillam and Davenport are more SF's then PF's and even Gillam is a bit undersized for PF.

Hopefully Brannen will add more players. And I know it sounds weird, but he needs to keep Moore here to, just so we have some veteran depth. At minimum we need to add a center and a pg who can provide quality minutes.

He will add 3-4 more players. He has to. I don't know how good they will be this late in the game but we need bodies. There are still some solid additions out there we can add. Need a big body for sure. At least for 5 fouls they can give. Similar to how Houston used their bigs last year.

cincyguy13 05-16-2019 09:47 AM

I would hope for a few transfers for 2020 also. That can sit this year and come in next year and make an impact. I think this could help avoid a total rebuild.

Cartel 05-16-2019 02:06 PM

...looks like we may be getting back a big piece...

cincyalum2014 05-16-2019 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cartel (Post 199379)
...looks like we may be getting back a big piece...

Big news coming soon..... stay tuned