BearcatTalk.com

BearcatTalk.com (https://www.bearcattalk.com/index.php)
-   Bearcat Basketball (https://www.bearcattalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Breakout players?? (https://www.bearcattalk.com/showthread.php?t=12354)

waterhead 06-28-2019 01:46 PM

Breakout players??

Under Brannen's coaching or in Brannen's system who do you think will break out in these categories below? Who performs better than expected? I have heard a lot of names thrown around...

Returning players (who have already played at UC)

Cumberland (hard to break out)
Scott (depends on how he gets used)
Williams (some are calling for Keith)
Moore (will the shots finally fall)
Diara (many are calling Diara's name)

Transfers

Cumberland (can he get better than last year?)
Sorolla (is he what he is?)
McNeal (Can he play more efficient by trying to do less)

Newbies

MAW (If McNeal doesn't shine maybe)
Davenport (Versatile guy...Brannen loves him)
Harvey (Talented but late and injured)
Gillam (Wild card)

waterhead 06-28-2019 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterhead (Post 200648)
Under Brannen's coaching or in Brannen's system who do you think will break out in these categories below? Who performs better than expected? I have heard a lot of names thrown around...

Returning players (who have already played at UC)

Cumberland (hard to break out)
Scott (depends on how he gets used)
Williams (some are calling for Keith)
Moore (will the shots finally fall)
Diara (many are calling Diara's name)

Transfers

Cumberland (can he get better than last year?)
Sorolla (is he what he is?)
McNeal (Can he play more efficient by trying to do less)

Newbies

MAW (If McNeal doesn't shine maybe)
Davenport (Versatile guy...Brannen loves him)
Harvey (Talented but late and injured)
Gillam (Wild card)

In Category one I think I am going with Scott. I don't see a wing breaking out because we have too many good options and not enough balls to go around. If Scott is playing in a small ball lineup as the sole big and coach let's him shoot 3's...he could end up a stat monster.

In Cat 2. Cumberland can't duplicate his last year (not enough balls to go around). Sorolla IMO is what he is. McNeal has the chance to impress. I don't want him hunting buckets...I want him hunting assists. But I also think he is a decent late clock option to manufacture a shot. He could be awesome in the break and crucial in the press. Once in half court....just get out of the way...like Jenifer did.

In Cat 3. Tough category here. Gillam can't redshirt so I am going with him...LOL!. He's also the smartest and by Rehfeldt pics could also be the hardest worker. He didn't take a double course load and bust his tail to finish HS early to ride pine. His motivation carries him.

TheLivingLegend 06-30-2019 10:33 AM

Keith needs to continue to take steps... He was often very good when cumberland was out. He needs to be very good all game

mdchick 06-30-2019 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend (Post 200680)
Keith needs to continue to take steps... He was often very good when cumberland was out. He needs to be very good all game

Seemed like he was a really good first half player and then disappeared in the second half last year

cincyguy13 06-30-2019 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchick (Post 200682)
Seemed like he was a really good first half player and then disappeared in the second half last year

Probably because we ran Jarron iso 90% of the time in the 2nd half

waterhead 07-01-2019 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cincyguy13 (Post 200685)
Probably because we ran Jarron iso 90% of the time in the 2nd half

Agreed. I would expect Jarron's usage to go down a bit but we also have added Jaevin and Harvey. So I don't know how to predict the overall affect on Keith. We will have some added possessions for sure and I think Keith will be a monster in press and break. Hopefully he just becomes more efficient with his touches. He's going to double his high flying dunks this year!!

juckerrules 07-01-2019 08:57 PM

Prince...he gets no respect at all on this board...got nowhere to go but up. I think he may just shock some people & be an important cog in the Bearcat machine

waterhead 07-02-2019 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juckerrules (Post 200696)
Prince...he gets no respect at all on this board...got nowhere to go but up. I think he may just shock some people & be an important cog in the Bearcat machine

I think Prince is going to play so hard he will be one of my favorites. But it's hard finding a spot for him. The wing is loaded right now and he can't play the 5. If Brannen is going to run a small lineup out there it's probably going to be a wing with some ball skills or shooting skills so I hope Gillam is working on at least one of those. Probably the shooting would be first.

He has the skill set of a 4 but the height of a 3...and not even a taller 3. If Brannen wants to run small he can put Cumberland on a 4 on D. He will probably get similar results to Gillam.

it's just hard for me to figure out the right situation for Prince to get more than 5-10 minutes. I think he will do awesome in the press and break. He can rebound and defend well (for his size). If he has wing skills I think he will find the court because he also can play inside. But his handles are not great. I've heard about a nice shooting stroke but we will have to see if he can make them. As Trevor has found out...standing in the same spot with nobody guarding you in practice all day...is a lot different than game action.

waterhead 07-02-2019 11:51 AM

Quote:

But he's the type of guy you root for!! Works his ass off and is smart as hell and I'm guessing won't complain. All business! He will be a big impact someday...just not sure it's this year.

TheLivingLegend 07-02-2019 12:27 PM

Quote:

I dont think anyone knows what to expect from him