BearcatTalk.com

BearcatTalk.com (https://www.bearcattalk.com/index.php)
-   Recruiting Profile Archives (https://www.bearcattalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   '12 OH PF Deontae Hawkins (Offer) (https://www.bearcattalk.com/showthread.php?t=853)

BearcatAlum1 02-10-2010 08:24 AM

'12 OH PF Deontae Hawkins (Offer)

Power Forward, 6'6": Deontae Hawkins
Dayton, Ohio
Dayton Dunbar High School
AAU:
Offer: Dayton, Cincinnati
Other offers:
Interest: Xavier, Miami (OH)

"Sophomore big Deontae Hawkins (6'7) showed us that he will be a solid D1 prospect if he keeps working. The Dunbar coaches never imagined that Hawkins would playing this well this early. He is "extremely" long and catches the ball very well in traffic. Hawkins finishes very well around the rim, runs the floor well with long strides, and even showed his ability to knock down the three. He plays with a lot of energy. Hawkins scored 20 points over the six quarters."
http://www.ohshoops.com/2009/11/dayt...d-running.html

I am unsure about the level of mutual interest, but Hawkins could be a good one. I saw him (what I believed to be him) in attendance at the Syracuse game on Sunday January 7 2010, sporting his Dunbar gear. I'm glad he got to see a good atmosphere for 30 minutes of the game.

He recently took a visit to UD and took in the Xavier game on Saturday January 6, 2010. UD won by 25 and the place was rocking.

I'll keep everyone updated and will try to take in a few of his tournament games.

swg 02-10-2010 08:26 AM

Great work. I like the fact that he's long and finishes around the rim. We've had too few of that lately.

BearcatAlum1 02-18-2010 02:45 PM

2/17/10 - Deontae Hawkins tallied 17 points in Dunbar's loss 74-72 loss to Dayton Jefferson.

BearcatAlum1 02-18-2010 05:42 PM

Hoopscoop rated 6'6" W/F Deontae Hawkins (Dayton Dunbar High School) as the 186th best player in the Class of 2012.

http://buckeyeprep.blogspot.com/2009...ders-ohio.html

BearcatAlum1 03-06-2010 02:28 PM

Dayton Dunbar beating Kettering Alter 56-50 today.

I was able to watch both Deontae Hawkins (Dunbar 2012 PF) and Jaaron Simmons (Alter 2013 PG).

Hawkins scored 10 in the first quarter, had 15 at half and finished with about 18. He is very slim (only 16 years old), but has very good hops. His shooting form is nice and hit many midrange jumpers off a pass. He played off others and was a good offensive rebounder. His early weaknesses appear to be strength/weight and dribbling. He didn't put the ball on the floor much. It'll be interesting to see how he progresses.

Simmons is a freshman point guard that played the entire game for Kettering Alter. He did typical freshman things (over dribbled, missed open men, probably 7-8 turnovers, etc.), but led Kettering Alter with 16 points. He has very nice form, hitting about 6 free throws and a three pointer in clutch time. I definately could tell why many consider him the top point guard in the state for his class.

I'd expect schools to beginning offering Simmons this summer (after the July evaluation period) and Hawkins could start receiving offers after Dunbar's tournament run.

BearcatAlum1 03-26-2010 08:25 AM

Sophomore Deontae "Teddy" Hawkins also came up big for Dunbar in their State Semi-Final win over Clev. Benedictine scoring 13 points and grabbing six boards in a 69-62 win.

BearcatAlum1 03-27-2010 09:53 AM

For those interested, Deontae Hawkins' Dunbar team plays in the DII State Championship today at 2 p.m. The game will be broadcast on ONN.

Also, keep an eye on Geron Johnson of Dunbar. 6'3" SG that has a plethora of talent but has had one or two off-court issues. Johnson was recently elevated to an ESPNU top 150 prospect, but word in Dayton is that he might go the prep school route.

Kid has high major athleticism. Stroke is iffy. He can score the ball. Dayton City League Player of the Year over Juwan Staten last year, btw.

BearcatAlum1 04-02-2010 07:45 AM

April 1, 2010
by JEFF BORZELLO

A name for Big East fans to keep an eye on over the next couple of years is Deontae Hawkins, a sophomore from Dayton Dunbar (Ohio).

“His potential has no limit,” Dunbar assistant coach Renaldo O’Neal said. “He will be one of the top players in the country. He’s already one of the top sophomores in the country, but he will be one of the top players.”

Hawkins already has offers from Dayton and Cincinnati, with interest from Xavier, Miami (Ohio) and Wright State.

“He’s a great name,” O’Neal said. “He’s a 6-6 silky smooth scorer. He’s a good rebounder, shot-blocker.”

Despite being so young, O’Neal said that Hawkins more than held his own against older players.

“He did a great job,” O’Neal said. “He played against some big names, but it was good because he didn’t have to be the focal point. He looks forward to the challenge. He was a little nervous in the state championship game, but he had three humongous blocks for us.

“He doesn’t back down. He’s learning on the go.”

http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2010...tment-roundup/

FWIW, I will toot my own horn on this one. As mentioned first post on this thread, I "thought" Hawkins was at the Syracuse game this season, but was unsure. No other outlets reported it, nor did I see a mention that we were even recruiting Hawkins. :) I've seen the kid play and he is a very solid DI prospect. I would love to get an early commitment from him.

Chad Brendel 04-03-2010 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BearcatAlum1 (Post 9255)
FWIW, I will toot my own horn on this one. As mentioned first post on this thread, I "thought" Hawkins was at the Syracuse game this season, but was unsure. No other outlets reported it, nor did I see a mention that we were even recruiting Hawkins. :) I've seen the kid play and he is a very solid DI prospect. I would love to get an early commitment from him.

I think you have done a great job at both BCN and this new site Alum, but I do have to take exception to this one. I talked to Hawkins before and after the Cuse game as well as reporting his interest in UC in December over on BCL. As a sign of good will I will also share that he has left QCP and will be playing AAU ball with All Ohio Red this year.

And if you were really all over this one you would know he goes by "Teddy"... :)

BearcatAlum1 04-04-2010 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad Brendel (Post 9386)
I think you have done a great job at both BCN and this new site Alum, but I do have to take exception to this one. I talked to Hawkins before and after the Cuse game as well as reporting his interest in UC in December over on BCL. As a sign of good will I will also share that he has left QCP and will be playing AAU ball with All Ohio Red this year.

And if you were really all over this one you would know he goes by "Teddy"... :)

Haha. Touche'.

However, I will say this in my defense:

1. I entered 5/3 next to a kid in a Dayton Dunbar warmup. At this time, I had no clue who Deonte "Teddy" Hawkins was.

2. Upon seeing this kid, I did some searching online and found that UD was very interested in a 6'6" kid from Dunbar that fit the description.

3. At this time, I concluded it was Hawkins.

4. I do not check BCL. I do not rip pay info and "cop" it as my own, if that's what you were implying.

5. I assumed the link between Hawkins and UC based on the free information found on the internet and witnessed with my own set of eyes.

6. I don't know coach Pullen (Dunbar's coach) or Hawkins on a personal level. I was very close with the regime before Pullen, but don't know too much about the program on a personal level now. I've never seen Hawkins' nickname mentioned as "Teddy" in the Dayton Daily News.

7. In conclusion, I made the link by myself because I don't rely on any information outside of BCN and BCT.