BearcatTalk.com

BearcatTalk.com (https://www.bearcattalk.com/index.php)
-   2017 Recruiting Profiles (https://www.bearcattalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   '17 TX G Darius McNeill (https://www.bearcattalk.com/showthread.php?t=10938)

jacobkdoyle 09-01-2016 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 (Post 145253)
Not hopeless Jake difficult.

Also making commits earn playing time is not unreasonable. My issue with you is you want to annoit him the starter before he steps foot on campus.

I've asked you this before but I have to do it again. Do you supervise anyone?

McNeil is certainly considering us but due to the realities of being a school that has many four year players and few one and doners earning or waiting for a opening is a detriment.

We don't have trouble getting 3 stars why would you think that. According to many including you we have a whole team of them.

As far as Cumberland you answered your own question. He is playing behind a 4 year player who my many accounts has under performed and is the only other 3 on the roster. He has a good chance to start eventually this season or he will back up both positions and get good minutes regardless.

Is it really that hard for you to see that minutes are huge in recruiting players. High level talent want to go where they can see the floor early and often.

Jake if you don't think being able to offer players a opportunity for immediate playing time is a huge inducement to acquiring talent I really can't help you. I'm not saying it's impossible but it certainly is not easy. Players look for a fit that offers them the opportunity to play early and often. It's not the only factor but it is a very big carrot.

Waite, never did I say he should start. I am saying he COULD be in the rotation. WE DO HAVE PLATING TIME TO OFFER!!!!!!!

Which of the other schools on his list are losing their starting 1 and 2 and have 0 others players on the roster who have ever done anything at those positions??? You act like every other school we ever recruit against has a wide open roster.

I'm so confused as to how you can talk about needing to earn minutes, then turn around and say there are no minutes available for this guy when LITERALLY NO ONE at the 1 or 2 on the 2017 roster has ever earned a minute. It makes no sense. I'm sorry, but this is as good of a situation as he is going to be able to walk right into. And no, I'm not announcing him as a starter. I'm saying there is nothing stopping him from being able to play from day 1 if he is legit.

CrakkerBarrellsX 09-01-2016 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterhead (Post 145232)
Reputable coaches aren't going to guarantee playing time to a HS kid because there is not telling how they will adapt to D1.

So at the end of the bold area I would add this "we believe you have the skill set to contribute right away...and if you work hard and prove that to us in practice and games we will get you significant minutes for sure"

Dude I know 8th graders getting offers and guaranteed playing time 5yrs from now. This isnt football where 5stars dont see field. In basketball 5&4 star players play right away and get offered whatever they want.

WAITE HOYT 2 09-01-2016 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle (Post 145264)
Waite, never did I say he should start. I am saying he COULD be in the rotation. WE DO HAVE PLATING TIME TO OFFER!!!!!!!

Which of the other schools on his list are losing their starting 1 and 2 and have 0 others players on the roster who have ever done anything at those positions??? You act like every other school we ever recruit against has a wide open roster.

I'm so confused as to how you can talk about needing to earn minutes, then turn around and say there are no minutes available for this guy when LITERALLY NO ONE at the 1 or 2 on the 2017 roster has ever earned a minute. It makes no sense. I'm sorry, but this is as good of a situation as he is going to be able to walk right into. And no, I'm not announcing him as a starter. I'm saying there is nothing stopping him from being able to play from day 1 if he is legit.

jake have a good evening.SMH!!!

jacobkdoyle 09-01-2016 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 (Post 145290)
jake have a good evening.SMH!!!

Smh is right!!!

waterhead 09-02-2016 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 (Post 145239)
Waterhead coaches give assurances all the time. At Ky. You think a 5 star PG is going there if the 5 star he is to replace isn't going to leave before he gets there. You think 5 stars are sitting the bench for a year in a system where many of them are 1st round picks and instant millionaires. You think his handlers don't know who else KY is recruiting for that spot? You think KY is going to waste a ride on two 5 star recruits that are PG's if they have other needs.

I said reputable coaches. Some coaches will say whatever the kid wants to hear but their word means squadoosh. Cane Broome came here because he said the coaches didn't blow smoke up his butt about playing time.

There are lots of 5 stars and 4 stars who were "promised" playing time and came in a sucked or had attitude issues or didn't work hard. You think a good coach is going to put them on the floor because they made a promise to their handlers? Come on Waite

waterhead 09-02-2016 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle (Post 145264)

I agree with Jacob. EVERY SINGLE PLAYER should be able to compete for the starting job (or starter minutes) from day 1. If we are not playing our best players because others have been grandfathered in...I have a problem with that. Now if it's a close battle it should go to the veteran.

There is plenty of playing time available in 2017 at the guard position for kids who are good enough to contribute

UCalum08 09-02-2016 01:18 PM

I believe he is on his visit to Iowa St this weekend. It seems like there is high mutual interest here. I would think it's going to come down between us and them. Just seems ISU has the advantage here with him.

WAITE HOYT 2 09-02-2016 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterhead (Post 145380)
I said reputable coaches. Some coaches will say whatever the kid wants to hear but their word means squadoosh. Cane Broome came here because he said the coaches didn't blow smoke up his butt about playing time.

There are lots of 5 stars and 4 stars who were "promised" playing time and came in a sucked or had attitude issues or didn't work hard. You think a good coach is going to put them on the floor because they made a promise to their handlers? Come on Waite

Come on Waterhead. First this city would be doing handstands if Calipari was to come here. Second I never said freshman shouldn't start I have said the opposite. Jake said Mick will not start them. I said that isn't true and pointed out Clark and he said Clark doesn't count because he had no choice. Third my point and I still stand by it is the number 1 thing that recruits ask for is will I receive playing time or who will I compete with. The quicker he is able to get on the floor the easier it is to recruit him. The opportunity to earn Immediate playing time is a huge inducement for recruits. If you can't understand that we should move on. This whole issue started because I said it's hard to recruit to a crowded position group. I'll tell you what ask Chad his opinion. We all seem to respect his opinion. Furthermore this ballooned because he insist that Mick as a rule won't p,any freshmen. I don't agree that it's a rule.

waterhead 09-02-2016 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 (Post 145423)
Come on Waterhead. First this city would be doing handstands if Calipari was to come here. Second I never said freshman shouldn't start I have said the opposite. Jake said Mick will not start them. I said that isn't true and pointed out Clark and he said Clark doesn't count because he had no choice. Third my point and I still stand by it is the number 1 thing that recruits ask for is will I receive playing time or who will I compete with. The quicker he is able to get on the floor the easier it is to recruit him. The opportunity to earn Immediate playing time is a huge inducement for recruits. If you can't understand that we should move on. This whole issue started because I said it's hard to recruit to a crowded position group. I'll tell you what ask Chad his opinion. We all seem to respect his opinion. Furthermore this ballooned because he insist that Mick as a rule won't p,any freshmen. I don't agree that it's a rule.

I am not debating if we would take Calipari. That wasn't my point. My point is you can promise a player whatever you want but it doesn't mean squat because that player could come in and be a train wreck. That means he doesn't play regardless of what you told him in the recruiting process.

If we are recruiting kids who aren't sure if they have what it takes to be as good or better than our current players...then we don't really need them. You can make playing time promises until you are blue in the face...they don't mean anything. There has to be a contingency there. "If you listen to me"..."If you work hard" etc. You can tell a kid they have the talent to play right away in ANY scenario...it doesn't mean it will happen.

From what I understand Mick doesn't make empty promises...maybe he should but that's another issue

jacobkdoyle 09-02-2016 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 (Post 145423)

Waite you need to go back and re-read my posts.