BearcatTalk.com

BearcatTalk.com (https://www.bearcattalk.com/index.php)
-   Bearcat Basketball (https://www.bearcattalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Mick Cronin (https://www.bearcattalk.com/showthread.php?t=12307)

Mcginnjw 03-22-2019 01:48 PM

Mick Cronin

Can everyone put their Cronin hate on this thread to keep other threads on topic?

I personally don’t want Cronin fired at all. However, he really needs to perform better in recruiting and March or he will be gone. I firmly believe his biggest weakness is recruiting.

Bcatfollower 03-22-2019 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mcginnjw (Post 196820)
Can everyone put their Cronin hate on this thread to keep other threads on topic?

I personally don’t want Cronin fired at all. However, he really needs to perform better in recruiting and March or he will be gone. I firmly believe his biggest weakness is recruiting.

Has he not already proven his inability?

TheLivingLegend 03-22-2019 02:13 PM

Cronin is stuck in the 90s. He recruits to 90s style basketball.

It's 2019. The three ball is basketball. Doubling the post to give open threes equals losses. Recruiting athletes over shooters equals losses.

Offense wins championships. Look at the last few winners. All score. All play with pace. Etc.

Bcatfollower 03-22-2019 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend (Post 196828)

It's 2019. The three ball is basketball. Doubling the post to give open threes equals losses. Recruiting athletes over shooters equals losses.

Offense wins championships. Look at the last few winners. All score. All play with pace. Etc.

That’s also how recruits want to play.

cincrulz11 03-22-2019 02:20 PM

Quote:

Offense and defense wins championships. Nobody out there is winning just playing 1 side of the court. You have to be good at both. We dont even try to get better on offense.

TheLivingLegend 03-22-2019 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cincrulz11 (Post 196830)
Offense and defense wins championships. Nobody out there is winning just playing 1 side of the court. You have to be good at both. We dont even try to get better on offense.

I'd argue our defense is wrong to. We constantly double the post and give up open threes.

I said before game selection show if we play a team that shoots threes well, I don't like our chances. (And yes.. Most teams in tournament can shoot it well. Duke a rare rare rare outlier)

sedziobs 03-22-2019 02:30 PM

Quote:

Not doubling the post didn't work out for us today. We shot more threes than Iowa. Not many of theirs were off passes from the post.

Duke is one of the worst three point shooting teams in the country and has elite athletes. Good players win championships. We aren't recruiting like Duke no matter who our coach is.

Villanova won in 2016 with a 289 ranked tempo. Wisconsin went to the finals in 2015 with a 344 ranked tempo. UConn won in 2014 with a 262 ranked tempo. Tempo has no correlation to efficiency.

cincrulz11 03-22-2019 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend (Post 196831)
I'd argue our defense is wrong to. We constantly double the post and give up open threes.

I said before game selection show if we play a team that shoots threes well, I don't like our chances. (And yes.. Most teams in tournament can shoot it well. Duke a rare rare rare outlier)

I agree he must change things in his defense. It was a massive problem all year long. 303 out of 351 teams in preventing 3's. That will not work. He designed a defense to stop old school big east offense, the game has evolved.

His defense is amazing against teams that can't shoot the 3 though, unfortunately those teams don't tend to be very good overall.

sedziobs 03-22-2019 02:33 PM

We should be a much better defensive and rebounding team next year with bigger and more athletic guards. We really miss players like Evans and Caupain on the glass.

cincrulz11 03-22-2019 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedziobs (Post 196836)
Not doubling the post didn't work out for us today. We shot more threes than Iowa. Not many of theirs were off passes from the post.

Duke is one of the worst three point shooting teams in the country and has elite athletes. Good players win championships. We aren't recruiting like Duke no matter who our coach is.

Villanova won in 2016 with a 289 ranked tempo. Wisconsin went to the finals in 2015 with a 344 ranked tempo. UConn won in 2014 with a 262 ranked tempo. Tempo has no correlation to efficiency.

Yeah pace isn't really something to worry about. You have to be good at offense and defense. Thats pretty much all there is to it. And to be good at both you have to have good players.

That said I think we should be able to beat the Iowa's of the world (or Harvards, or St. Joes and so on)