View Single Post
Old 02-24-2021, 10:31 AM   #19
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Going back to coaches, there are plenty who quickly brought teams into the top 100, but then didn't sustain success. Danny Manning did it in 2 yrs at Tulsa and 3 at Wake Forest, but those were his only two winning seasons. That's my concern with bringing in a guy based on recruiting connections or hype. It's pretty common among the NBA players turned coaches. Juwan Howard looks like an exception.

Steve Prohm is an example coming from the mid-major ranks. He inherited a great situation his first year at Murray St with Isaiah Canaan paired with 3 seniors. Then he had a couple years outside the top 100 before getting them back in in yr 4. Moving to Iowa St he had a couple great seasons inheriting Fred Hoiberg's roster, but only one first round tourney exit since. He is 2-17 this year. Not that those types can't be successful, but pointing to success in the first several years is premature I think.

And I don't think Oates or Musselman are fair comparisons. Those guys didn't just bring their teams to the top 100, they were 29 and 35 respectively on Torvik. They each had a couple of tournament wins over their final two years. I would've taken either of them for sure, but I don't know if either of them would have picked us over an SEC school.

This is a tough year for a lot of coaches though. We've seen how the freshmen loaded blue bloods have been impacted. Several coaches with long consistent records are having a really bad season, like Bruce Weber, Bruce Pearl, and Jim Larranaga.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote