View Single Post
Old 03-29-2019, 10:25 AM   #4
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Let's assume both Cronin and Cumberland will be coming back. I am going to take a look at this simply from a perspective of what we can do to put together a team in March that can contend. We have a very solid returning core that has pretty nice potential and I would not like to waste the few opportunities that come along for us with teams that might be able to contend. We had a contender in Gary's Sr year...but most of our teams aren't there. This year we all thought was one of those rebuilding years that turned out better.

A lot has been said that Cronin does not get enough offensive players but he has done a little better in that dept lately. I think it would be tough for him to do a 180 on recruiting style but the one place he can address team weaknesses is in the transfer market. In a year like this up coming year I am talking about a grad transfer that can help put us over the hump for a single season while we have the other pieces in place. Cronin does NOT like to use it and I understand why. If you nab a transfer at any position it tells the other players at the position you have lost confidence. Which is also IMO what riding the bench says. So you take the chance of alienating a player who might transfer out. I would take the chance of losing a low minute bench player for a chance at higher levels of success. No hard feelings.

So look at our roster. We look solid at the 4 and 5. We have Cumberland who can play point or wing. Keith was looking worse towards the end and we have unproven players in Curtis and Johnson coming in. Fredericks and Moore weren't cutting it. So all the help we would need would be at the guard/wing positions. Specifically someone who can shoot and add some scoring pop to an otherwise solid squad and deep bench. And who knows Curtis and Johnson COULD be all we need...but we are more likely a year from them being consistent and solid starters.

You have to ask. Are we rebuilding? Do we need to plug a hole for next year. Do we have a team that can contend and can use all the help we can get THIS year? I would go all in this year on the grad transfer wing/guard who can shoot the 3. If Mick ruffles some feathers...he just has to say to them...work a little harder and improve and you won't have to worry about it next year. You are not performing at the level I recruited you for. I understand if you are upset but I gave you some chances.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote