View Single Post
Old 03-29-2019, 11:55 AM   #6
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
In our 9 tourney streak when we have a 7 seed or lower our average ORTG rank on T-rank has been 53.5 and that includes a massive outlier in SK's Sr year where we were ranked 102nd (5 seed). All other years were ranked between 56 and 32. That includes a 7 seed, three 6 seeds, 5 seed and 2 seed.

When we had higher than a 7 seed our average rank on offense was 92nd. So there is roughly a 40 point difference. 8, 9, and 10 seed.

During those same years with the 7 seeds and below our defense averaged a rank of 14.5. The higher seeds about 15.5. For only a 1 point difference.

Makes sense since our D is always going to be solid our seed should go as our offense goes.

So if I am Mick maybe I just keep recruiting the way I always do and fill 11 spots or so with HS and juco. I get my mix of athletes, projects, and actual basketball players. And every year (if I have to) I address the offensive weaknesses that arise (because of my recruiting style) through the grad transfer market. I let all of my players know when I recruit them I will likely fill the weakest spot on the team each year with a grad transfer so there are no surprises.

Perhaps this is how to solve the March success issue when we have trouble producing enough points to keep up. If we are ever going to end up in the top 25 on offense we need to use transfers to get there based on 12 years of evidence. We CANNOT do it with Cronin's recruiting style. We can however get to the top 10 in D.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote