View Single Post
Old 07-29-2019, 09:51 AM   #25
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Sounds like we offered Gabe Madsens brother (Mason) in what would seem to be a strong push to get Gabe.. So the staff must be really high on Gabe or thinking we may not have a great shot at some of the other wing offers. Gabe's brother is a mid major level recruit (right now) but I don't think he would be too far off of a guy like Trevor Moore who didn't have a lot of high level offers. Maybe he has some upside but at least he could be a role player toward the end of the bench.

I was thinking we would try to get a couple of wings and a couple of bigs for 2020...so this would fill both wing spots. At 6'3 and 6'4 I would like to see another inch or two but who knows.

Again, there must be a high level of confidence that Gabe Madsen will be a star. Or Brannen thinks he has already done enough with guys like Woods, Davenport and Harvey and just needs 1 more very good wing. Of course Madsens brother Mason could end up improving to the point he is also very productive.

My other thought is that this move could put some pressure on another wing who doesn't have a lot of high D1 offers yet. Basically putting them into a position where they feel they need to make a decision sooner than later or no wing spots will be available anymore.
After watching a little more video on both...I can say I would be very OK with getting this twin tandem. Gabe can do it all. He has a lightning quick release, pretty good handles, good passer, and can create shots and knock them down from anywhere. Nice step back shot and knows how to create space and use stop go action to get his looks. He can get the ball in the bucket through contact around the rim with either hand. Very good body control and always ready to shoot.

Mason has even better handles than Gabe and probably even better passer from the looks of things. He has a similar quick release and can shoot off the dribble if he needs to. Gabe seems to be more of a player who can create scoring whenever he wants and Mason seems like more of an opportunist and gets his teammates more involved. I like the idea of him being a backup 6'3" PG to Saunders (or Woods). His ball skills seem to be pretty tight as well as passing.

They both look pretty good IMO. I think Mason certainly looks capable of filling a role even at the level of the AAC. With some work could even end up being a solid contributor.

I hope we get these guys! This doesn't seem to be a token package deal. I think Mason can play. He's much better than walk on quality and possibly even capable of quality high level D1 play.

Last edited by waterhead; 07-29-2019 at 09:58 AM.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote