Thread: Program ROI
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2019, 01:12 AM   #8
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
Again…The original data comes from the Equity in Athletics Data Analysis reports from the Department of Education. (link: http://ope.ed.gov/athletics)

If you go there, they are front and center about allowing you to download the data for one school or several. This was part of a push with DOE and NCAA.

These guys on Twitter just grabbed the data and created charts from different viewpoints. The expense is supposed to be just men's hoops programs and not overall athletic department, which I'm sure that any costs could be blurred, but it's however the program reported their budget.

Arenas would certainly be a part of it. Since this data ends in 2017 I'm guessing UC had not seen the full expense yet.

Over the past decade UC spent in the ballpark of $60 million on mbb. Smaller (population) schools like Georgetown, Marquette, and Louisville spent considerably more, but they play their games in off campus, pro-style arenas, that are likely much more expensive.

On the other side, Butler and Dayton likely haven't done extensive upgrades to their arenas for a while.

Things like private planes, coaches salaries, etc. all goes into it too. I think overall wins is a stronger measurement that just tourney wins. And is tourney success really the ultimate measure of a return on investment?

I'm sure Division II or lower schools spend a healthy amount on sports and don't have nearly the same platform as March Madness, yet they still invest in it.

But I bet there are a lot of donors wondering what their investment is getting the school and program after seeing this.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote