Thread: USF
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2019, 12:00 PM   #165
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ervins84 View Post
Can someone give me an estimated number of points added after a coach gets a technical or double technical?

Do we really think a coach getting techs gets us more calls after the technical? If yes, just how many calls are you expecting to flip in your favor? From there, how many points do you think it's worth over the rest of the game.

Even if the teams do get more calls after a coach gets a technical, do you really think that number of calls offsets giving usually an 80% FT shooter 2 or 4 attempts, which is either 1.6 expected points or 3.2 points.

I do not accept the premise that getting technicals results in your team getting more calls going forward. If it's true, I'm sure someone out there can pull data on it to support that.
I dont think any coach had ever planned on getting ejected. So to suggest intentionally giving up 4 shots is a bit much. But they absolutely will give up two shots if they think it will help the cause. Sometimes it's about getting your own team fired up and sometimes its about getting the refs attention and getting them to realize how upset you are. The thought is if you're that upset you there must be a reason. And refs are human. Home crowds certainly show to affect calls so why wouldn't a coach in your ear or getting highly upset?
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote