View Single Post
Old 06-05-2019, 11:39 AM   #56
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
I'm not convinced by McNeal, he's not the slasher Broome was so I'm not sure Brannen's offense will really help him. Almost 2/3rds of his attempts at New Mexico were from 3 and he shot poorly from 3. His assist/TO ratio was only 1.45. I'll gladly be wrong, but I don't see him being more than a solid backup.

Hardnett is listed as 6'8" and looks to be 6'8" (unlike Prince who is listed as 6'7" and looks to be only 6'5"). Assuming put on weight his redshirt year (he was listed as 210# last year), he should be very close to the same size as Scott (who is 6'8" 225#).

I think style wise on offense he is more of a 3 than a 4 or a 5. But size wise, he is big enough to play as a 4 or undersized 5 on defense. Pair him with Scott and that's enough size to get by defensively. We really only have 4 guys on the roster who are big enough to play the 4/5 and not have us be undersized (Scott, Diarra, Sorolla, Hardnett), so I imagine Hardnett will get an opportunity to play some minutes.

I'm not opposed to going small. But it seems to require having guards who are willing/able to go inside and bang. Keith seems too skinny to really bang inside, Jarron has the body for it, but he's not athletic enough to rebound well. Jaevin also doesn't seem like a guy who can do much down low. McNeal definitely isn't. We don't have a JaQuan Parker or Rashad Bishop type on this team (Moore or Prince could be, but they aren't starters).
I think Jarron can guard a PF on the block so you don't really have to put in Hardnett before going small unless he gives you an advantage. But otherwise I would agree...he gives some nice size and mobility and options on D. But can he shoot? He's not a back to the basket guy. What does he give you on offense? That is the unknown...he can dribble for his size but he has to be a good slasher or a low post option or a shooter.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote