View Single Post
Old 03-18-2021, 09:55 AM   #1
MDW79

MDW79 is on a distinguished road
Coaching Carousel

I've seen quite a few people say that we simply cannot afford to fire Brannen. That without cause, we would owe him 4.5 million, which isn't an option.

When I first saw this figure my first thought was "Yeah, that makes sense". But in thinking about it more, I really don't think it does. In fact, not at all.

For discussion's sake, let's all just agree that we cannot afford 4.5 million to move on. Well, what about next year? If he stinks next year, can we move on then?

We would have to pay him 3.375 mil to fire in 2022. Can we afford that?

If your answer is yes, we can afford 3.375 mil (but not 4.5) then I really have to wonder if this University is truly looking at the big picture. Can we really delay this any further because of a measily 1.125 million dollars?

If your answer is no, we can't afford 3.375 mil either then that means were stuck with him for two more years. We're also stuck paying him a 1 million dollar bonus in March of 2022, which kind of negates a lot of these money issues referenced above. (If you fire him after 2 more years the payout is 2.25 mil + the 1 mil dollar bonus the year prior, so you're right back to a total of 3.25 mil invested)

So when exactly can we afford to fire him? Next year (3.375), the year after (3.25), or finally the year after that, after 3 more years (2.215)? Can we ever afford to fire him?

I'm not writing any of this to say we 100% have to fire John Brannen. I personally think we should but I'd be willing to listen to reasons that we should not. I just don't think those reasons should be money related.

We have a brand new 100 million dollar rennovation at 5/3. We're always looking to move into a Power 5 (I know football drives this, but a quality basketball team doesn't hurt. Especially to a conference like the ACC) There's potential money to be gained or lost by having either good or a shitty basketball program.

I just think that if the school and the AD decide to stick with Brannen it's gotta be for the right reasons (not sure there are any). This athletic department had a surplus of 8 million dollars last year, (where did it go?) and the school itself has plenty of cash for all sorts of projects. Move some of that into a payout if need be.

You can't let the difference between 4.5 million and 3.375 million prevent from you from torpedoing your historic basketball program. And you can't commit to Brannen for 2 more years if you still think the 3.375 million is too expensive.

Curious to hear some of your thoughts on this. I'll wrap it up with this, it's going to have to be more than money to convince me this guy needs to stay, and I'm struggling to find those reasons.

Last edited by MDW79; 03-18-2021 at 10:06 AM.
MDW79 is offline   Reply With Quote