View Single Post
Old 03-05-2019, 01:58 PM   #43
Emperor Snapper

Emperor Snapper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
After Cumberland who would be the player that would be the next most important to keep on the floor?

Williams
Jenifer
Brooks
Scott

I am starting to think more and more Brooks could be that guy.

Box plus minus...which is not a perfect way to look at it (wish I had true plus minus)

Cumberland 9.1
Brooks 6.7
Williams 6.1
Scott 5.6
Jenifer 5.2

I don't want to leave out Cane because I think he is going to be very important down the stretch but his BPM is 2.5 right now. Again...the stat is not the best measure

Value over replacement on Torvik (maybe a better assessment than BPM)

Cumberland 4.6
Jenifer 3.4
Brooks 2.3
Williams 2.3
Scott 2.2
Broome 2.0
Brooks is a huge part of the defense, gets on the glass, and despite his limitations is not a terrible offensive player, even if it is frustrating to watch him squiff too many opportunities around the basket.

The bigger key with Brooks, compared to Williams/Jenifer/Broome/Scott, is that his potential replacements are so much worse. Nsoseme has been a bit of a train wreck, and Diarra has a long way to go. They can play small with Scott at C, but then they have no rim protection.

One issue I have with VORP, at the college level, is that a college team does not have access to replacement-level talent. If an NBA team has a guy below replacement level, they can theoretically just cut him loose and get someone from the G-league, or perhaps work a trade. In college, if your two backup centers are sub-"replacement level", you cannot actually replace them, at least not in-season.
Emperor Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote