View Single Post
Old 10-11-2019, 09:18 AM   #19
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
I like how you put the shooting percentages in non-temporal order to make it look like he's been improving. McNeal in D1 competition has shot 28% (2015-16) and 31.5% (2017-18), both on high-volume. At the community college level he shot 38% (in 2016-17), but I have a suspicion that he wasn't facing good defense. McNeal is historically a high-volume, low-percentage three point shooter, nothing about midnight madness made it look like that will change.

I was referring to Scott, and yes I think he has shown he can knock down open jumpers/threes at a reasonable rate. He shot only 31% from three, but he's shown enough to force defenses to stretch to guard him. He doesn't have to shoot at a high volume as a big, just has to be able to knock down open shots so the D can't leave him to collapse inside (same is true for Diarra).
We have two legit verified shooters on the team with the same last name. If we can get one more medium/high volume guy in that 35% plus range (Harvey/ Moore/McNeal) it should help a lot...even if the rest are around 30%. We have to be able to drive the ball since we will have a lack of low block scoring. We are going to need two shooters on the floor which creates some lineup issues.

Obviously Jarron and Keith and Scott will be out there starting. It looks like McNeal has a good chance. It would be nice to get Jaevin out there as an extra shooter but we may have to put Sorolla or Vogt on the floor. In order to get our shooters on the floor we will have to either play small or possibly play without a true PG.

We are going to see a lot of variation in the early year. We could see one big or two bigs. We could see a PG or no true PG on the floor. The move to let Vogt play this year tells me Brannen may not use as much of the small ball scenario as I would like with where our talent lies...but who knows. If we play a lot of small ball I would think Sorolla, Scott, and Diara would have been enough to get by.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote