Thread: Reds/MLB
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2018, 02:25 PM   #965
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
David the players they gave up in this deal are at least 3 years away. Downs was a guy who played some SS but many believe he is more a 2B or 3b. Both very deep positions for the reds. Gray is a pitcher who just started pitching a couple of years ago. He has a lot of refining his pitches to do before he can get to a point where he can vie for a ML staff.

Like you I don't want to see them gut the farm but if they are acquiring players who make them better and give them a chance to win I'm good with that.

So far they have improved the club and maintained their top 5 prospects in the process. Also they have payroll flexibility to sign FA's which don't cost prospects. Adding Dallas Keuchel is a possibility. They also have the option of trading some of what they acquired at the trade deadline for prospects if they are not contending thus restocking if you will. They also could offer them qualifying offers at year end and if they don't except they get more draft picks.

The reds have stated they are not done yet. At the very least they have improved the roster for next year to this point. In my mind finding more TOR pitching and a true CF is still needed to get them in the playoff picture. I think they still have a couple of moves left.
Yeah these two guys I'm fine with, the rumor is Kluber will cost them senzel and trammel. Whereas I'm fine moving senzel if the move is right, I just dont want a complete gutting of the farm system for a short term push that might not matter anyway. That's my only point. I'm just curious to know exactly what their plan is. Are these guys possibly going to be flipped? Are they going to try and sign wood or Puig long term? Is this a one-year push and then we see a fire sale ala the Marlins of past years. We've complained for years that our farm system was empty, I just dont want to be saying the same thing in two years.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote