View Single Post
Old 01-16-2020, 09:05 AM   #36
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I don't want to make too many excuses but here we go. As someone has already mentioned he has had quite a number of shots go in on him that were difficult to make. Him being pulled to the perimeter and/or trying to close on a guard that got through his defender is going to make him look worse in the numbers as he's just not that mobile obviously.

My third point is...I remember Vogt started off in foul trouble early and he's was bringing his arms down on the player. I wonder just how much after a few games Brannen thought he needed to keep him on the court. He's keeping his arms straight up a lot more now and he's also been able to stay on the floor. perhaps he's been asked to be a little less aggressive with fouls so he can stay on the court. That would also affect his defense a bit.

I do think he is pretty good guarding a traditional big and not giving up position. But I would agree we have to keep him in the paint as much as humanly possible and our guards have to do a better job of staying in front of their man to mitigate his weaknesses.
The reason I offer that 3rd point is that CJB doesn't seem all that concerned with his D. You don't hear him in pressers calling him out much. I seem to remember coach talking about Vogts arms coming down on fouls early in the season. Certainly if coach has access to and is looking at Synergy numbers he can see where Vogt currently stands on D. Or coach already knows his limitations and can't blame him for putting Vogt in those spots. Either way he wants him on the court for 30 mpg.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote