View Single Post
Old 03-14-2022, 05:21 PM   #9
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
I'm pretty much of the same mind. DDJ is the worst fit for Wes's style of play and as I've stated elsewhere his efficiency numbers are pretty terrible as well. A longer guard/wing would allow us to trap more and make it easier to play Saunders at PG.

I'm okay with MAW/Saunders sticking around to play PG. They both need to improve, but they can work in the system. Saunders needs to improve defensively and we need to add enough other options that MAW is more of a 3-and-D type PG.

If we want to be risky we could trade DDJ for a wing and that's it. Vik, Ody, Hensley, Davenport and Reed would play the 4/5. I'd like to see Davenport's minutes drop, but I don't want him gone. The issue is Vik's health, I don't think we can trust that he will stay healthy given the last couple years. Which means we need to add another center as a rotational piece. But center's are the hardest position to recruit, I don't think we are going to get an upgrade over Ody/Vik. There were rumors that Banks was playing well at PF last fall before his injury, is it possible/likely he stays as a walk-on? He could be a just in case back-up if Vik can't stay healthy.

I'm leaning towards the players most likely to transfer being either Mason or McGinnis. If we get a transfer wing as a starter, one of them isn't going to be getting minutes. I know I've said Saunders in the past, but I am starting to believe in him (and I doubt we can upgrade at backup PG). My prediction is that we have two players leave (including DDJ), but I think 1 or 3 is also possible.

P.S. I believe Vik (redshirted last year) and possibly McGinnis (if he medical redshirts this year, which is unconfirmed rumor) actually have 4 years of eligibility remaining. I doubt Vik uses all 4 and even McGinnis may not want to spend 6 years in college.
I would say Banks is almost a 100% out since we have 3 recruits now and only 2 guys leaving Ado and Koval. And I would rather take my chances on a portal player being better than Banks.

That being said I am not sure I take the chance on no new bigs either. Tolentino likely will need a year or two. Ody fouls a lot. Lakhin fouls a lot and has past injury issues. Both have other issues on the court as well.

Give me one decent big on the block and a taller scoring wing. We can work with that. If Wes wants to press and trap another wing gives us a lot of opportunity. Hensley, Newman, Skillings, Reed, new guy. You can throw Mike out there to push pace and MAW to help the press trap. You can throw Ody out there to help press trap as well and a new big to score in the paint.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote