Thread: Chaminade
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2022, 10:52 AM   #19
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
It seems like if there are going to be any locker room issues it will be Kalu or Ody. I know Wes says he doesn't promise minutes, but those two might not have imagined spending most of their final season on the bench. Wes said post-game that Vik has been our best big man on both ends in practice. Meanwhile on the radio show he said Kalu needs to improve at defense/rebounding. It doesn't sound like Kalu's going to be overtaking Vik as the starter.

I've said from the beginning that I don't think Kalu can play the 4 at this level and the one game sample seems like Wes agrees with me. Only JD and Hensley played the 4 last night.

Kalu can shoot, but not well enough that it's actually a good shot. But between that, his ability to pass and dribble he should help to open up the floor. It seems like Ody's game is not a great fit with this team. He's more of a traditional back to the basket big man, but our offense this year seems to rely more on motion, spreading the floor and quick passing. Vik/Kalu can pull their defender away from the basket and pass/dribble/shoot well enough to not be liabilities when they catch the ball on the perimeter.

Based on the one game sample, it seems like minutes will be something like.

5: Vik 20/Kalu 13/Ody 7
4: Davenport 25/Hensley 15
3: Nolley 25/Newman 8/Skillings 7
2: DDJ 25/Newman 8/Skillings 7
1: MAW 20/Phinisee 20
I agree on most of that. Not sure I agree Kalu can't play the 4? I think in order to get Hensley some time on the court...Kalu was playing the 5. I do think that will be where he gets the most minutes (due to foul trouble)...but over time I think he's going to get 5 minutes or so at the 4 as well.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote