Thread: EKU
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2022, 07:27 AM   #16
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
A player can be good at offense or defense but that doesn't tell the story of how the team performs while they are on the court. Plus minus is the only real indicator I know of that tells that story. Is it perfect? Not by any means especially in short term (small sample...same with any metric). But giving me a defensive (or offense) efficiency number tells me even less IMO. What else are the players doing when they aren't directly involved in a play? After many games plus minus starts to tell that story. I am tracking it now so I don't have to spend a whole day doing it later...hahah!
EvanMiya (EvanMiya.com) has a fair number of those types of stats if you go to Team Breakdown > Players. The OBPR and BPR I tend to find less relevant as they are partially stats based. But the Adjusted team efficiency and On-Off margin are based entirely off how the team performed with a player on the floor.

Though I'm not sure it updated properly for yesterdays game. Hensley for example was +21 in +/- on the box score, but I believe +0 on EvanMiya (they don't show game by game, but I believe he was -1 after CSU and still -1 after EKU). They do weight for non-garbage vs garbage (>99% win percentage) possessions, but I don't think the effect should have been that extreme.

Last edited by skyblade; 11-14-2022 at 07:32 AM.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote