Thread: Season Updates
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2021, 10:28 AM   #12
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Oh I’ll still watch games. I just don’t mind losing. It used to put me in the shittiest mood. Now, it’s normalized a bit more and I’m not bothered. But if they called it quits, I wouldn’t be that upset.

I’ve been thinking about canceling my season tickets even before this season. This is just the nudge I needed. I’ve always said that Bearcats basketball fandom (in terms of season ticket sales) is very fragile. I think a lot of programs can weather the storm of Covid and poor performance. But if you couple it with micks inability to win in March, then I think we will see an overall drop in enthusiasm and thus a drop in attendance. John can still win the fan base back but he has his work cut out for him. I hope he does. I’m just not going to spend my money for a while.
I don't think losing is being "normalized". I mean we are just a few games away from winning the league last year.

This team does not have the right players in leadership roles and most of them are young. I don't blame this on Cronin or Brannen. Last year we had lead by example Jaron and vocal leader Scott. Williams is not the same type of player we are looking for.

But I think that is something that Brannen sought out (or is seeking) in recruiting. Fire, leadership, competitiveness, work ethic, attitude etc. When he's had a few years to recruit we will have at least half the squad made up of players with some (or all) of these qualities. The Madsens as most can see have fire and strong work ethic. Mikey...yes. Davenport...yes. Eason is very competitive and exciteable. Harvey...not so much...MAW...meh.

But you can't have all of your players 3 or 4 stars with all the qualities most other coaches would be searching out. I think Brannen is on the right track to have at least 3 of them on the court at almost all times in the future. I don't necessarily see a bump in quality in terms of BB skills etc but I see the character of the team he wants to build and that is why I am optimistic and waiting it out rather than get on his case right now.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote