View Single Post
Old 09-09-2019, 02:47 PM   #71
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Does anyone think we would have recruited Mason if not for Gabe?

Does anyone think we needed another young PG/SG? In 2020 we already have MAW (PG/SG), Saunders (PG), Harvey (PG/SG) and Gabe (SG/SF) as freshmen/sophomores. Where will Mason find minutes in the next few years?

Cronin generally offered big men 300-400 rated bigs (harder to get) and at positions where we didn't already have a ton of depth. If Mason was 6'8"+ I'd have no problem with him at his rating.

But the low rating, plus him playing a position where we already have plenty of young depth, screams that he's only here because of Gabe.

As for those saying it's just the 13th scholarship. It is, but now we have locked it in. Our last 2 scholarships pretty much need to be used on a pair of PF/C's for 2020 (unless Davenport is going to be the backup PF). The 13th scholarship could have been saved to be used on a grad transfer depending on our needs, such as one of the young likely 2020 starters (Prince at PF and MAW at PG) not developing quickly enough or getting injured. Instead we used it on a 300+ rated guy, who is likely going to be the third string PG for the next 3 years.
I would highly doubt he would be here if it were not for Gabe but that has little to do with whether or not he can provide value for us. He's at least a mid major talent with a gym rat work ethic so who knows who he can pass up on the roster if he works harder than others. Hell, I think he may be better than T. Moore right now (if Trevor continues to shoot at 30% in games). It should not be hard for anyone to match those numbers plus you are adding a ball handler and Moore is not.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote