View Single Post
Old 09-02-2016, 12:15 AM   #29
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCat View Post
David I always like your posts. If Stubblefield was so good then it should have given him 200000 out of his own salary. He would get all that back with the extra games he won, bonuses, salary, Etc
I don't disagree in theory but I doubt it was as simple as that. True Cronin could take less money so he could pay his assistants a little more but let's be honest, there are very, very few people who take less money than they can or are offered. And if Cronin did do this what message really would he be sending? He'd have no leg to stand on going forward. Cronin has always griped about his budget and I could list several reasons where I think he is part of the problem in the decline of fan support, although realistically the athletic budget as a whole is bringing in more than it ever has. But cronin's salary isn't what's handcuffing the budget. Not even close. Football drives the budget. This town rallied behind the team years ago and did so with their $$. They aren't doing that for basketball. Attendance is stagnant and people find more and more reasons to not go to games and not to donate to the program. My only point is the fans waiting for UC to put money into basketball instead of football really truly don't understand how the system works. It's not the university that made the decision, it is the fans making the decision. Football goes from averaging several thousand to 30,000 in a few years....university spends that money back into football. Basketball attendance and support falls and then very, very slowly is increasing, there's nothing telling the university to sink money into it. Yet it does and has listened and given Cronin some of his demands and has found money to fund a new arena. Yes the budget needs to be increased and I'll be the first to preach we need better assistants. Both in recruiting and x's and o's. But stuff like that falls pretty clearly in the department of you have to make money to spend money. It's kind of a catch 22, but unfortunately the bottom line falls where money doesn't exist it doesn't get spent. I won't pretend to know the solution to solving the problem but hopefully this new arena does put butts in the seats and all the new suites and boxes increases the basketball budget. Personally I'd just love some new blood in the assistant ranks regardless of the budget.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote