Thread: Big 12
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2021, 02:01 PM   #3
Red_N_Black_Attack

Red_N_Black_Attack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
This has the makings of a great basketball conference, but I'm not sure it will survive. The Big 12 minus Texas and Oklahoma is kind of a zombie in terms of revenue and football. Adding UC, UCF, Houston, and BYU helps football competitiveness some, but doesn't change the revenue picture a whole lot.

Right now the remaining Big12 schools have an incentive to stay so they each get a piece of the huge buyout they'll be owed from Texas and OU. My understanding is they forfeit that if they leave before the media rights deal is up after 2025. So whatever form the Big 12 takes now may end up imploding again in several years if the most attractive schools get plucked by the ACC, Big Ten, or Pac12.

In my opinion, the only realistic spot for UC in a stable long term power conference is the ACC. But hey, I'll take playing Kansas a couple times a year in a transition period. Huge step up from what we have now.
I disagree that the ACC will be stable. Once we learn what breaking GoR means for OU/UT, then the B!G and SEC will be raiding the top ACC programs, all 3 or 4 of them. Beyond Clemson, none add football value at the top level. Miami and FSU have the most football equity with longest history. Maybe Virginia Tech and UNC. Although I think it is a mistake for these two to form super conferences of teams that will ultimately beat each other down. Why join a league with Bama, Georgia, Florida, etc... except to take money to get beaten weekly? Same with join B!G with Oh State, Penn State, and Wisconsin,

There are very few Oklahoma type programs out there who can compete in any conference. Maybe Clemson can do that with Sweeny, but what happens when he leaves? The B!G did it right last time by adding some additional bottom feeders who can still raise the profile of their programs, which is why I think Kansas to the B!G makes sense. It's also why I think the new Big 12 will be more stable than the ACC long term. Just my 2 cents.
Red_N_Black_Attack is offline   Reply With Quote