View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 06:45 AM   #10
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
DeJuan Marrero is a quick leaper, plays bigger than his size and can finish in transition. He knows he also has his skeptics.

"People say I don't have a jump shot," said the 6-5 junior from Gary Bowman Academy. "So I've been working hard to get that right."

Marrero played mostly on the low block as a sophomore on a loaded Bowman team (the Class A champion) and averaged 14 points and 12 rebounds. He expects to still do damage on the block this season, but also show more versatility.

"I'm still going to be rebounding, but probably playing more on the wing," he said. "Another big thing is being a leader. A lot of my guys I'd played with since third grade graduated last year. I looked up to those guys a lot so it's up to me now to show the new guys what to do."

Marrero, ranked No. 99 nationally by Rivals.com in the 2012 class, expects to make a college decision next summer. He has more than a few options. Marrero has an offer from Indiana and recently attended the Hoosiers' elite camp. He also took a recent visit to Marquette and said he has plans to take an unofficial visit to Xavier this weekend. But his school list remains long and he's "keeping all options open."

"I'm looking at what style the team plays and if they treat you like family," he said. "Academics are important (Marrero said he has a 3.0 grade-point average) and I want to make sure (coaches) aren't just telling you stuff just to say it. In my mind, it's still pretty wide open. My mom (Yolanda) just wants me to be happy where I go."

Marrero has been preparing himself for the season with 6 a.m. workouts every Monday, Wednesday and Friday with his teammates. The schedule includes a Dec. 17 visit to defending Class 4A champion North Central. That game came up in a phone conversation this week with North Central junior D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera, who is being recruited by several of the same schools as Marrero.

"I told him he better be ready," Marrero said. "We talked about colleges. (Smith-Rivera) took a visit to Wake Forest (last weekend) and he said it was pretty cool. I'd like to get down there, too."

So how far along, exactly, is Marrero with his recruitment? Not very. He listed more than a dozen schools from all over the country that have shown various levels of interest and said many of those coaches plan on attending open gyms this fall.

"I haven't decided anything," he said. "I've talked some with my coach (Marvin Rea), but I'm taking it really slow."

DeJuan Marrero is a quick leaper, plays bigger than his size and can finish in transition. He knows he also has his skeptics.

"People say I don't have a jump shot," said the 6-5 junior from Gary Bowman Academy. "So I've been working hard to get that right."

Marrero played mostly on the low block as a sophomore on a loaded Bowman team (the Class A champion) and averaged 14 points and 12 rebounds. He expects to still do damage on the block this season, but also show more versatility.

"I'm still going to be rebounding, but probably playing more on the wing," he said. "Another big thing is being a leader. A lot of my guys I'd played with since third grade graduated last year. I looked up to those guys a lot so it's up to me now to show the new guys what to do."

Marrero, ranked No. 99 nationally by Rivals.com in the 2012 class, expects to make a college decision next summer. He has more than a few options. Marrero has an offer from Indiana and recently attended the Hoosiers' elite camp. He also took a recent visit to Marquette and said he has plans to take an unofficial visit to Xavier this weekend. But his school list remains long and he's "keeping all options open."

"I'm looking at what style the team plays and if they treat you like family," he said. "Academics are important (Marrero said he has a 3.0 grade-point average) and I want to make sure (coaches) aren't just telling you stuff just to say it. In my mind, it's still pretty wide open. My mom (Yolanda) just wants me to be happy where I go."

Marrero has been preparing himself for the season with 6 a.m. workouts every Monday, Wednesday and Friday with his teammates. The schedule includes a Dec. 17 visit to defending Class 4A champion North Central. That game came up in a phone conversation this week with North Central junior D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera, who is being recruited by several of the same schools as Marrero.

"I told him he better be ready," Marrero said. "We talked about colleges. (Smith-Rivera) took a visit to Wake Forest (last weekend) and he said it was pretty cool. I'd like to get down there, too."

So how far along, exactly, is Marrero with his recruitment? Not very. He listed more than a dozen schools from all over the country that have shown various levels of interest and said many of those coaches plan on attending open gyms this fall.

"I haven't decided anything," he said. "I've talked some with my coach (Marvin Rea), but I'm taking it really slow."

http://blogs.indystar.com/recruiting...ro-visits.html
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote