View Single Post
Old 03-05-2020, 07:40 PM   #33
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
I’m not saying he is something he isn’t right now, that’s not the point I was making at all. It’s this no ceiling thing you have for Diarra but for some reason Vogt is literally as good as he will ever be. It makes absolutely no sense. Vogt is never going to be athletic, that’s a gimme. But he can become a little more agile, a little smarter about learning where to be for rebounds and he certainly can get stronger when it comes to boxing out. They are two different players and for some reason because Vogt isn’t a better version of Diarra you think he is terrible. I see his deficiencies, but I think he has just as much a chance to improve as anyone else. You’re just so far up Diarras ass it’s kind of weird
The difference is that Vogt's deficiencies are much harder (or impossible) to fix than Diarra's. Vogt is never going to become much more athletic, much more mobile or a skilled shooter. His shooting form is not something likely to be fixed in an off season. Sure he could add a little agility, a little strength, box out a little better. But his ceiling isn't much higher than what he is now: a guy who can beat up on undersized, less athletic teams, but who can't deal with teams that have size, strength and/or athleticism. Should be a backup at this level.

Diarra's issues are due to lack of experience. He has the size, the athleticism, the mobility, the shooting ability and even some ball handling. It's just a matter of him learning to put it all together. Experience is gained through playing time and as he gets more he will just continue to improve. That's part of why his improvement has been so rapid this season. Give him starting minutes and he may be the best player on the team by the end of next season.

Diarra is already far better on defense, a better rebounder and a better jump shooter than Vogt. Diarra is much more likely to surpass Vogt on offense (if you believe the conference ORTG numbers, he already has) than Vogt is to get near Diarra's level on defense/rebounding.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote