View Single Post
Old 03-30-2020, 10:09 AM   #434
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Diarra improved throughout the year. Vogt regressed.

Diarra's issues are correctable, Vogt is stuck being slow and unathletic.

Diarra played the important minutes over Vogt in the last two games of the season, had tournament been played this trend would likely have continued.

Diarra was the better player at the end of the year, given that he also has a much higher ceiling, there is no reason to assume he won't be the better player next year as well.

As Justin says, they may well start together. But if we go small, then Diarra should be the starter at the 5 over Vogt.

But on the original subject. Vogt has not proven he deserves to be the starter next year. There's no reason to think that Brannen would be telling a grad transfer big they'd only be getting bench minutes. Vogt had the opportunity and didn't do enough to prove he should start. Diarra showed potential and started to show results, but hasn't proven himself as a starter. Eason is a freshman and may not be worthy of more than 5-10 minutes per game in his first year.

There is a lot of room for a big to come in and get 20+ minutes per game. The question is does Brannen want to go that route? Based on his recruiting I suspect he is looking at playing Diarra at the 5 and playing a small ball 4.
I am not sure I would call Vogt's play a regression rather than other teams figured out he was killing it and started making a plan to deal with him. He would see doubles that he was not seeing early on. Commanding a double team is still valuable for the team. Dou never had to deal with that and if he did...would likely be a mess

Dou has ALWAYS had potential. The problem is he hasn't seemed mentally ready to fulfill it. Some coaches will value consistency over potential as you never know what you are going to get with the latter. I would LOVE nothing more than for Dou to realize his potential because the ceiling is very high especially if he can add another 10-20 lbs.

But let's not pretend a 3 game stretch at the end of the season is enough to show he will be anything close to consistent. But I sure hope he can put it together!
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote